Not sure where to begin... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Not sure where to begin...

It begins and ends with JB. The guy's stuck in past and unable to motivate players in a positive manner. He's been bullying players and belittling them in front of their teammmates and in the press for years, and it's now coming back to bite him in the @ss now. You'd think he'd learn a thing or two from his Olympic team experience and having two teenage sons.

Don't forget Wes was a regular transfer who had a year to integrate himself into the program. Obviously he was a pro and light years better than White and Gillon, but the value of that year of practice can't be understated.
Very true. Gbinije was a top 20 recruit and it took him years to put it together despite being a clear cut NBA talent in his last year.

Very true. Gbinije was a top 20 recruit and it took him years to put it together despite being a clear cut NBA talent in his last year.
That first paragraph was me venting and I didn't mean to post it as I don't want to overly negative (like JB). I do think this whole mess is his doing and no one else's. I'll leave it at that.

Hopkins has a look I haven't seen before , really mad , like he has been told that the succession plan isn't cut in stone. If that's the case, then all the assistants would feel like they will be out as well . That seems to be how the team is playing, scared. Setting a retirement date for JB was not smart.
if you have a magic ability to tell by looking at his face on the sideline that he's not going to be the successor, you should see what my face is telling you right now

if you have a magic ability to tell by looking at his face on the sideline that he's not going to be the successor, you should see what my face is telling you right now
You have anger management issues.

No it doesn't, because anyone who has a clue has clearly stated the opposite here.
Do you think a new AD that was a VP at ESPN wants to be bound by past agreements? It is his show now.

Do you think a new AD that was a VP at ESPN wants to be bound by past agreements? It is his show now.

Again, that's been refuted since the AD has been here by multiple people. It's the fans not in the know who keep saying this.

It's easy for a lifetime coach to say in a press conference that a humiliating loss is all his fault. It's easy to publicly Boeheim a player - twice. It's easy after a 50 point win against a former staffer to show public disgust about your team. It's easy to say how much more work the team has to do to get better. Boo hoo. All of that has nothing to do with nothing. What's far more difficult is to correctly assess the parts you have and craft the right strategy to best fit those parts together. Not what you have to have because it's who you are - it's what the players show they can best do.

With this team, he's asking nearly all of them to squeeze into a shirt that's way too tight for them individually. For the past few years, in this, the twilight of his career, he's done exactly that, he's just gotten away with it more times than not because the players have rescued him or he's gotten plain lucky. Teams in trouble like this don't get better because they players miraculously start doing what you want. They get better because you find a better way to coach them.

The questions that should be asked have nothing to do with the deficiencies of the players - nearly every player at this level has issues. The only question that matters is can the coach really look in the mirror as his career winds down and start over. Rethink his strategy, rethink how he deals with players, hell, just rethink. The old ball coach hasn't done that for years. The truth is it's very challenging for us older folks to learn how to drive all over again.

It's not that you kill the thing you love - it's the thing you love that kills you. In this case, what Boeheim loves and the only thing he believes he can do is killing him, the players and this team.

Hopkins is getting the job unless he took another HC job before JB leaves and that isn't happening now.
I am bearish on Hopkins chances but he is getting 3 years unless he bombs in 2.
I am hoping Autry gets a lower level D-1 HC job and I have no confidence right now in GMac as a recruiter.

I am hoping Hopkins hires a good recruiter who doesn't have to be from the Family. Our recruiting specifically guard recruiting the last 3 years has been poor for an elite school.

I believe it can be fixed this year...fixed in the sense that we are playing together and competing hard. It's going to take some heart to heart meetings with all the folks involved but it starts with JB being humble with the kids and building them back up. It's going to take time and we may not be capable of getting to the dance this year.

Tearing kids down has diminishing returns at any level. Coach needs to own that and he needs to own our decline in recruiting. We are trending down and everyone should be concerned about that.

I posted this in a different thread earlier, but I think it fits better here.

I commented a couple weeks ago that there might be some dissension on this team when it started to look like there was little chemistry showing. Hoopupstate and VBOF both are seeing pieces of that.

It's obvious that JB is disheartened at the lack of progress of this team. There is adequate talent and in some cases, exceptional abilities present. But at this point there is no team.

It might have been fools gold when we brought in White and Gillon. Or perhaps as was suggested, that they were given too much of the "team". Both are acceptable as backups off the bench, but neither have a good feel for how things are done in the Syracuse system. Topping that was their displacement of players who have put in time to be progressing as valued parts of the team.

I think we would have been better off starting Lydon, Roberson, Coleman, Battle and Howard and maybe still should. Roby is totally disillusioned at this point and Howard is frustrated with his own play as well as the team's.

There are no easy answers, but I still believe this team can find some cohesiveness IF they and the staff are willing to be honest about the abilities and willingness to play together of each player and combinations of them.

LGO

Again, that's been refuted since the AD has been here by multiple people. It's the fans not in the know who keep saying this.
Hop is the next head coach. It is done unless hop decides otherwise.

Ever sine the Tyler Ennis shot on 2/12/14 vs. PITTSBURGH, we have not ben the same, period. I am more worried about the future and transition, this season by all accounts is done.

Even blessed Jay Wright had awful down years with NBA talent in Villanova guys.

This shi- happens, we just gotta be the dominant fan base we strut around like and wait it out with undying support.

1. We're better than Villanova
2. Jay Wright is young and it's not really farfetched to believe a young coach will adapt or have the energy to make the adjustments necessary to fix things.

I don't know - I think there's a lot of talent on this team. And maybe it's just me, but when you're a hall of fame level coach I think you should be able to switch out of your 'unique system' if the talent doesn't fit and still be a very good team.One that is capable of defeating a team that wasn't able to beat Delaware State or something called LIU Brooklyn. What exactly does he do for team USA since they aren't playing in his unique system?

Robey's problem is that he's trying to serve two masters at once.

JB wants him to focus on defense and rebounding, because that's his strength.

But Robey has other people in his ear, telling him that he has to score 20 points a game to get to the NBA. And the poor kid just can't hit a jump shot longer than 8'. Yet he keeps trying, and he keeps missing, and he keeps getting benched.
Someone should whisper in his ears to look up some footage of Dennis Rodman and then send him back out on the court. He did pretty well for himself in the league with the same lacking offensive skillset. That is who he should be molding his game after!

1. We're better than Villanova
2. Jay Wright is young and it's not really farfetched to believe a young coach will adapt or have the energy to make the adjustments necessary to fix things.

We're better than Villanova?! Do you really believe that?

And apologies to any of the elder statesmen on this board, but Jay Wright is not young. He turns 55 on Saturday. Just because he wears fancy suits & has a full head of hair does not make him 35-40 years old.

Hopkins has a look I haven't seen before , really mad , like he has been told that the succession plan isn't cut in stone. If that's the case, then all the assistants would feel like they will be out as well . That seems to be how the team is playing, scared. Setting a retirement date for JB was not smart.
I also have noticed several things about the bench for more than 5 games now. Hopkins is sitting 4 to 5 spots away from JB now. Autry is next to JB, player in trouble between them of course. In the huddles Hopkins is not active, not coaching and Autry is. I seriously questioned Hopkins ability/inability to coach last year when he had the team. Admittedly he was in a difficult situation going from friend to head coach but I have to question his ability to coach now. I really question if his coach in waiting status has changed. just look at his expressions and lack of involvement in every aspect.

We're better than Villanova?! Do you really believe that?

And apologies to any of the elder statesmen on this board, but Jay Wright is not young. He turns 55 on Saturday. Just because he wears fancy suits & has a full head of hair does not make him 35-40 years old.

Meant as a program, as whole. Not right this second.

I also have noticed several things about the bench for more than 5 games now. Hopkins is sitting 4 to 5 spots away from JB now. Autry is next to JB, player in trouble between them of course. In the huddles Hopkins is not active, not coaching and Autry is. I seriously questioned Hopkins ability/inability to coach last year when he had the team. Admittedly he was in a difficult situation going from friend to head coach but I have to question his ability to coach now. I really question if his coach in waiting status has changed. just look at his expressions and lack of involvement in every aspect.
Yes, this is not good. Maybe JB needs to go Bo Ryan.

Meant as a program, as whole. Not right this second.

As a program over time, I agree. But recently Villanova has been more successful. Jay Wright gets it done. I'd love him to be at SU. I just don't know if that would ever happen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom