OC Rumors | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

OC Rumors

I don't think Wildhack is going to have a say in picking the next OC.
I think his statement was more "Dino and I have been talking and have identified what we want
in the next OC...quarterback development ability is of great import..."
Is it going to happen in the next few days?? I don't get that vibe.
I think it might be after Christmas and the early signing period.
But the time between the holidays and the February signing date...WATCH OUT!!
Between Jucos, the portal and some poaching..."the fur is gonna fly.."

I don't think Wildhack is going to have a say in picking the next OC.
I think his statement was more "Dino and I have been talking and have identified what we want
in the next OC...quarterback development ability is of great import..."
Is it going to happen in the next few days?? I don't get that vibe.
I think it might be after Christmas and the early signing period.
But the time between the holidays and the February signing date...WATCH OUT!!
Between Jucos, the portal and some poaching..."the fur is gonna fly.."
Its Christmas Ohana in the Highest!!! Cat Fur

Its Christmas Ohana in the Highest!!! Cat Fur

Well, according to Dino we have a lot of cats on the team. I guess we need a separate thread for speculating on which veterinarian with P5 experience Wildhack will hire for the training team. All that extra money for distemper shots in addition to the Covid vaccinations is going to add up. Toss in half the team puking up furballs plus all the extra holding penalties when their claws get caught in opposing jerseys will make next year interesting.

Dino is most likely A a procrastinator and B this isnt exactly a great gig given his situation.
I would elevate Lynch. Bring in a good QB position coach and id call my own plays vs hiring a retread.
The other call is bring in a stud and give them a nice guarantee.
Lynch should have been gone 2 years ago, a terrible OL coach, followed by being a terrible OC except for Eric.

Good summary Tom.

I too think it will be a veteran coach who is OK with a sword hanging over the head of the whole staff in exchange for a few more years of income at the end of his career. A dark horse would be someone who also had past association with SU.

I think a young guy from a lower level might also be willing to roll the dice on the same risk in exchange for having "P5 OC" on his resume. However, I think this scenario is less likely.

My fear is that, in the end, it will be a journeyman retread who is taking less of a risk on us than we are on him. Hope I'm wrong.
I think given our situation P5 experience or NFL experience is a must. Ideally they would have Northeast experience and/or ACC experience. We don't want a P12 or B12 guy IMO. Nor a G5 guy.

Let's talk about the OC and what we are looking for a bit more.

What do we definitely know?

John Wildhack is currently involved in this.

He says he wants someone with a background developing QBs.

"We’ve talked about somebody who’s worked and developed quarterbacks," Wildhack said, emphasizing that it's Babers who will make all staff changes. "I think that’s important."

We also know SU isn't going to pay top dollar for this hire and it can't be a super attractive job for an OC because

1) Dino is not locked into a long term contract and if he gets canned, all his assistants locked get canned as well
2) An OC known for developing QBs and the passing game is going to check the cupboard and see how well stock Syracuse is with QBs, WRs and OL. They probably aren't going to be thrilled with what they find in the cupboard.

So Josh Gattis is not going to be coming here as a lateral move from Michigan. It is unlikely any well respected OC from an established program is going to come here.

It is also, I think, unlikely we get a young, promising offensive mind from a lower level program as the new OC. I think John wants someone who has successfully developed a number of QBs at the P5 level.

I am guessing it will be a veteran coach who has been around and has a lot of experience. He probably is going to be a coach who was on a staff where the HC was recently fired and the staff let go. I don't expect Sowder is coming. He doesn't have the track record yet that I think John is looking for, and even if we reached out to him, I don't think he would be super interested.

I don't see the new coach bringing in a new system. He is being brought in specifically to fix the passing game and develop QBs.

Robert Anae would be a nice hire. Agree Rod Smith would be an interesting choice. Mike Bobo would be a good choice. Mike Sanford would not be bad.

I believe all of the above are currently unemployed and ready to go. Most are near the end of their career and a good paying P5 job offer should be enough to get them locked in.

Shane Montgomery of UB also looks promising. He would be making a lateral move but I am sure would make a lot more money at Syracuse.

Whoever it is, I hope it happens by the end of the weekend. We have a bunch of recruits that I am sure would like to know who the OC is they would be playing under.
I think it will be someone old enough to have kids out of the house. A couple or a single guy can move to a city like Syracuse for a year commitment and then choose to settle if things go well. Young guys with young families won’t want to do that at all.

Now that Tucker is receiving the All-American RB attention he deserves, this new OC hire should be salivating at the opportunity to exploit a RB back like that. Sure would look great on everyone's resume if ST does even better in 2022.

It needs to be the right, experienced OC that knows what he is doing. HCDB owes it to the young man.

May lead to a big draft day if it all falls into place.

"We’ve talked about somebody who’s worked and developed quarterbacks," Wildhack said, emphasizing that it's Babers who will make all staff changes. "I think that’s important."

We also know SU isn't going to pay top dollar for this hire and it can't be a super attractive job for an OC because

I don't see the new coach bringing in a new system. He is being brought in specifically to fix the passing game and develop QBs.

Whoever it is, I hope it happens by the end of the weekend. We have a bunch of recruits that I am sure would like to know who the OC is they would be playing under.
Per usual sutomcat, well reasoned, and well-articulated. With respect to the above, my understanding is that Babers still has unilateral decision making. JW has made public his expectations for the position - somebody who has a track record of developing QBs and can fix the passing game. I also don't think the new OC will bring a new system.

As for pay, I think we might be surprised. I have no idea about the timing, but I would guess Babers will take as long as he needs to get it "right." There is a lot riding on this hire.

This would be high risk but could also be high reward. Brennan Marion who has Northeast ties and ran a WV like spread option game when he was OC. If Pitt passes up on promoting him he could be a good fit given our current squad makeup.

Google Go Go Offense to see video of what he runs. It is unique and would give us an identity.

Last edited:
Per usual sutomcat, well reasoned, and well-articulated. With respect to the above, my understanding is that Babers still has unilateral decision making. JW has made public his expectations for the position - somebody who has a track record of developing QBs and can fix the passing game. I also don't think the new OC will bring a new system.

As for pay, I think we might be surprised. I have no idea about the timing, but I would guess Babers will take as long as he needs to get it "right." There is a lot riding on this hire.
Dino did make a great hire on the D side moving to a scheme that gives us a chance so maybe he pulls ahis rabbit out of his hat.

On a related note take a look at JMU if you want to see a well run team.

Former NFL QB Brad Johnson should be the target. Bring a QB and TE
Does he have any OC experience? That's one thing we have to have imo.
Besides we're a P5 team, we don't need to play that game anymore

Could it have more to do with our historic lack of depth? Injuries to starters by November with no backups close less equal to their performance seems to me to be repeated every year.
Portal just made it worse

Portal just made it worse
Any good lineman in the portal should want to come here, and block for An All American running back.

Any good lineman in the portal should want to come here, and block for An All American running back.
Wish it was that simple, alot of times for us it's not.
But I will say this when it comes to Tucker ur right cause he can and did make less than average OL look so much better like we saw this past season

Well, according to Dino we have a lot of cats on the team. I guess we need a separate thread for speculating on which veterinarian with P5 experience Wildhack will hire for the training team. All that extra money for distemper shots in addition to the Covid vaccinations is going to add up. Toss in half the team puking up furballs plus all the extra holding penalties when their claws get caught in opposing jerseys will make next year interesting.
There's always fur flying in recruiting. But the fast felines considering joining next year's clowder need to know who's going to be herding the offense next year, and how often we're going to be throwing the skein downfield.

Last edited:
Of course. I assumed he was getting better. Who wouldn’t assume that.

Back to some sense of rationality, the original point was, why would someone assume SU’s passing game would not be better next year.
Oh I forgot, because no one develops, no one improves, no one gets healthy, and it feels better to piss and moan.
The problem is that at his (GS) age, the motion is ingrained and even if he can consciously alter it, under stress it will alway revert. It would take far more time to permanently overcome his lifetime of throwing than one offseason. (It can take years and thousands of repetitions to modify a baseball or golf swing).
How he throws is a permanent part of him. No habits are ever gone: they may be replaced by new habits, but the old habit is always there, in the background, waiting for the subconscious to bring it forth. That’s what stress does.
Now, if an injury kept him from being a good to great passer, that would be different.

Not sure how the system will be the same… the system we saw once Shrader took over wasn’t the system in place. I hope they develop an actual system that fits the talent.

Let's talk about the OC and what we are looking for a bit more.

What do we definitely know?

John Wildhack is currently involved in this.

He says he wants someone with a background developing QBs.

1) Dino is not locked into a long term contract and if he gets canned, all his assistants locked get canned as well
2) An OC known for developing QBs and the passing game is going to check the cupboard and see how well stock Syracuse is with QBs, WRs and OL. They probably aren't going to be thrilled with what they find in the cupboard.

So Josh Gattis is not going to be coming here as a lateral move from Michigan. It is unlikely any well respected OC from an established program is going to come here.

It is also, I think, unlikely we get a young, promising offensive mind from a lower level program as the new OC. I think John wants someone who has successfully developed a number of QBs at the P5 level.

I am guessing it will be a veteran coach who has been around and has a lot of experience. He probably is going to be a coach who was on a staff where the HC was recently fired and the staff let go. I don't expect Sowder is coming. He doesn't have the track record yet that I think John is looking for, and even if we reached out to him, I don't think he would be super interested.

Robert Anae would be a nice hire. Agree Rod Smith would be an interesting choice. Mike Bobo would be a good choice. Mike Sanford would not be bad.

I believe all of the above are currently unemployed and ready to go. Most are near the end of their career and a good paying P5 job offer should be enough to get them locked in.

Shane Montgomery of UB also looks promising. He would be making a lateral move but I am sure would make a lot more money at Syracuse.

I still really like - on paper - the Marshall OC.

Top 10 offense last year, has had young QBs succeed out of the gate, from PA.

You gotta think we have one picked now and just waiting for a bowl game to finish up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom