Oh, Trevor... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Oh, Trevor...

TBCuse11 said:
Just been a brutal, brutal stretch for him. Great to see Silent G getting run, even if it is at forward. I can see a 25-15 minutes split at the 2 guard going forward. He has earned more PT and Trevor has not done anything in ages. We need him to find it though, or winning it all will be tough.

When teams stop focusing almost completely on taking Cooney out of his game, I'll give your post some relevance. But until then, no. But I would love to see the day that opposing coaches agree with you and leave him open because he is so bad.

44cuse

of course I dont know more than JB... but to imply he makes no mistakes is comical and pretty naive.
I agree that would be naive - thankfully, no one is implying that..

U can have your view, and thats fine. For me, the past 10 games (or more), I feel more confident that a 3 ball from G is going to go in that i do when Trevor shoots. Last night Trevor had 5 wide open looks and was not close on any of them. Until he starts driving the ball, he has become an offensive liability.

(his D is still solid, so he does have value overall)

last 4, cooney 20%, gbinije 27%

last 3, cooney 15%, gbinije 30%

for the season, cooney 40%, gbinije 41%

is it worth gbinije turning the ball over more? i don't know

just play it game by game. i don't want to watch anyone shoot us out of a game, too many other options. cooney's feast or famine, it doesn't take that long to figure out which one it's going to be each game

Besides the ND game, he has had a brutal ACC stretch as a whole - simply brutal. Can't really sugar coat it.
First Duke game he played pretty well

TBCuse11 said:
thank you. its just insane how people have blinders for TC. We all want to win, and we all know TC needs to shoot well to help us win easier. Unfortunately, he has not shot well in months (outside of one game).

You realize that in ACC games Cooney has a higher shooting percentage?

You realize that in ACC games Cooney has a higher shooting percentage?
gbinije is better from 3 in those conf games (39%). He's terrible inside the arc. 1 for 11.

prior to conference play, he was 42% from inside the arc

overall 32%

gbinije needs to stop trying to go to the basket.

Millhouse said:
gbinije is better from 3 in those games (39%). He's terrible inside the arc. 1 for 11. gbinije needs to stop trying to go to the basket.

Yea, I didn't break it down and just looked at the ACC totals. Teams let G take outside shots which on one hand is good, on the other hand it's not. TB claims if Grant had not been hurt, G would have played for Cooney. I don't know what he liked about G last night. His stats were even worse than Cooney's.

G obviously has lower bulk stats, he plays less. Truth is, he has shot better the entirety of the ACC outside of one fluke game from Trevor. Trevor simply CAN NOT get open, and he misses when he does. The conditioning he has is impressive, but even he is tired at this point. He is not simply in a slump.

I know people here will always have Cooney colored glasses, and I also acknowledge that we need him shooting well in order to be a threat to win it all... but teams have adjusted to Trevor and he will not drive the ball. He serves very little purpose at this point. No one is game planning for him. They just play good man on him and he is invisible.

G is more athletic and more versatile. He is not ideal either, but the 2 guard is our weakest position by a mile, so there is no need to keep giving a guy shooting 2 for 10 every game the bulk of the minutes.
If you don't think that opposing coaches are game planning against TC...then you're a lost cause.

Last night was the second or third game this year where TC clanged wide open looks. Usually his off nights result when he doesn't get good looks. The part that bothered me about last night's performance was he seemed to be off target (left or right) rather than missing long or short. That is usually an indicator that a shooter is "drifting" on his shot which easily correctable.

You continue to question TC's athletic ability. Why? He is very athletic...has a great vertical jump, decent speed and above average quickness. It appears that he can penetrate off the dribble at will but lacks the confidence to do so. Even JB has been encouraging him to drive more.

Your disdain for Cooney is troubling and you've proven to be fully invested in ripping him every time his game doesn't meet your expectations. Pathetic.

Btw, other than in gym class, have you ever played the game?

I think Jim has struggled this year with game management. I know everyone will point to the 26-2 record, rightfully so, but the amount of luck we have had is once in a decade luck. We are realistically a 22-6 team, still good of course, but not as good as we appear. He is slowly running Ennis and CJ in to the ground. Grant has back issues now, TC looks gassed.

We have a top class every year now, and guys like Roberson and BJ could have really helped. i know it is not his style, but we didnt use to be this deep. I hope the kids can save enough to fight thru March Madness.
With respect to the game management and once in a decade luck, I remember thinking that 2 years ago. But now that it is starting to be a trend I believe there is more to it than that. Yes, we seem like a 22-6 team and two years ago was a 26-5 team but that was neither of their records. That is not indicative of the coach struggling with game management, quite the opposite.

JB adjusts his strategy to the current personnel. You feel Roberson and BJ could really have helped, JB (and I) do not. It is not a matter of his style. If DC2 were still available, he would be playing. Clearly JB does not think Roberson is ready. If Roberson were as good as Grant was last year, Roberson would be playing more, the opportunity has been available.

If you don't think that opposing coaches are game planning against TC...then you're a lost cause.

Last night was the second or third game this year where TC clanged wide open looks. Usually his off nights result when he doesn't get good looks. The part that bothered me about last night's performance was he seemed to be off target (left or right) rather than missing long or short. That is usually an indicator that a shooter is "drifting" on his shot which easily correctable.

You continue to question TC's athletic ability. Why? He is very athletic...has a great vertical jump, decent speed and above average quickness. It appears that he can penetrate off the dribble at will but lacks the confidence to do so. Even JB has been encouraging him to drive more.

Your disdain for Cooney is troubling and you've proven to be fully invested in ripping him every time his game doesn't meet your expectations. Pathetic.

Btw, other than in gym class, have you ever played the game?
And by the way, he scored the winning points. ( Although I knew he missed the 2nd FT because he backed off the line, instead of going up on his toes.)

All players have shooting slumps. TC could break out of it at any time. Hopefully, he goes off Saturday!

Indeed. Allen was something like 3 out of his last 19 from three point land heading into last night's game...goes 6-8 against us...

The OP has had a consistent anti-Cooney agenda all year.

When you understand that, its easier to put his arguments into proper perspective.

Oh, and for the record--it doesn't matter how many times you insist that TC isn't a good athlete, repeating something that is false doesn't make it true.

last 4, cooney 20%, gbinije 27%

last 3, cooney 15%, gbinije 30%

for the season, cooney 40%, gbinije 41%

is it worth gbinije turning the ball over more? i don't know

just play it game by game. i don't want to watch anyone shoot us out of a game, too many other options. cooney's feast or famine, it doesn't take that long to figure out which one it's going to be each game
You left out that G is one of our best defenders.

The OP has had a consistent anti-Cooney agenda all year.

When you understand that, its easier to put his arguments into proper perspective.

Oh, and for the record--it doesn't matter how many times you insist that TC isn't a good athlete, repeating something that is false doesn't make it true.

Crazy to say Trevor is not a good athlete, he has some pretty impressive hops... :noidea:

I think Cooney is a solid athlete, makes good plays but are you "really" a shooter when you cant shoot consistently for the ENTIRE portion of conference play? Thats a pretty big sample size.

When teams stop focusing almost completely on taking Cooney out of his game, I'll give your post some relevance. But until then, no. But I would love to see the day that opposing coaches agree with you and leave him open because he is so bad.

44cuse

I totally agree teams game plan around TC more than every other player, and to say he just can't beat man to man coverage is insane. Take Duke for example every time we even tried to screen for him there was a hard switch immediately. The kid has to be exhausted at the end of games based on the fact he has been constantly moving. I suspect the four days off will be good for TC.

Are you implying that he's better than Cooney?

Defensively? Resoundingly, yes.
Offensively, G has been consistently getting better while TC has been getting consistently worse. Given TC's ability, that we assume he has because he hasnt shown it aside from ND, TC is still a better offensive threat but G is getting better and better each game.

You left out that G is one of our best defenders.
maybe. cooney has good hands and gets lots of steals, gbinije is probably better at a lot of things made moot by the zone

Are you implying that he's better than Cooney?
Cooney, while a very good defender, is simply not on G's level at that end of the floor. G is one of the two or three best defensive players on the team. I don't think it's close.

Offensively, G has been consistently getting better while TC has been getting consistently worse. Given TC's ability, that we assume he has because he hasnt shown it aside from ND, TC is still a better offensive threat but G is getting better and better each game.
gbinije literally can't make 2 point baskets in the ACC

Cooney, while a very good defender, is simply not on G's level at that end of the floor. G is one of the two or three best defensive players on the team. I don't think it's close.

I don't think that's true. But I do think that at 6-7, Gbinije covers more ground in the zone which makes him ideal up top.

But in terms of raw defensive capabilities, I don't think there's much evidence to support your contention.

What makes you think G should play more than Cooney? I'm sure you think Cooney played real bad and G played good. I think G has been pretty solid myself. But if you think Cooney's 3-13 is bad, G's 1-5 is worse. Cooney had 4 Rebs to G's 0. Cooney had 2 steals to G's 1. Cooney had 1 turnover to G's 2. They both had an assist while G had a block.

So what in the above screams G over Cooney? I expect it is expectations only.

Lets not act like cooney has been filling up the stat sheet. against BC he played 40 minutes and had 5 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, and 0 steals. thats seriously hard to do, a gooseegg across the board in those 3 categories playing 40 minutes.

Defensively, I guess being either 1st or 2nd in steals all year means nothing to some. I love Micheal's length and versatility but he is foul prone.

Offensively, TC is light years more valuable than MG. Even when he struggles, opponents have to account for him at all times which opens opportunities for others. I doubt MG gets more than a token mention in opposing team's scouting reports while Cooney is usually assigned to one of the opposing teams best defenders.

Watch how we are defended when G is in the game, compared to when Cooney is in the game. That's all you need to see who the more valuable offensive player is.