Oh, Trevor... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Oh, Trevor...

I don't think that's true. But I do think that at 6-7, Gbinije covers more ground in the zone which makes him ideal up top.

But in terms of raw defensive capabilities, I don't think there's much evidence to support your contention.
The evidence is what I see when I watch the games. G is able to fight through screens more effectively than TC, and is better at preventing dribble penetration. Just watch how well G stays in front of his guy when the offensive player makes a move to the basket, then compare that with TC. I'm not saying that TC is not a bad defender. In fact, I think he's pretty good, actually. And I'm not advocating that G play more than TC. I'm just saying that based on what I see, G is an excellent defender at the top of the zone, and better than TC in that respect.

The evidence is what I see when I watch the games. G is able to fight through screens more effectively than TC, and is better at preventing dribble penetration. Just watch how well G stays in front of his guy when the offensive player makes a move to the basket, then compare that with TC. I'm not saying that TC is not a bad defender. In fact, I think he's pretty good, actually. And I'm not advocating that G play more than TC. I'm just saying that based on what I see, G is an excellent defender at the top of the zone, and better than TC in that respect.

Up until the last few games when he's had to play a bigger role [with many of those minutes coming in the frontcourt], G has played a fraction of the minutes Cooney does. Therefore, when he comes into games OF COURSE he's been able to expend energy in short bursts.

Defensively, I guess being either 1st or 2nd in steals all year means nothing to some. I love Micheal's length and versatility but he is foul prone.

Offensively, TC is light years more valuable than MG. Even when he struggles, opponents have to account for him at all times which opens opportunities for others. I doubt MG gets more than a token mention in opposing team's scouting reports while Cooney is usually assigned to one of the opposing teams best defenders.
How much of an offensive edge is all that giving us? We can barely break 60.

Our big problems are Cooney is unable to get open and when he has open shots, hes wildy inconsistent. Im not sure if its Cooneys fault he cant go open, the teams fault or a combination of both. Not every team we play has an elite defender at the SG position.

Ennis, never pushes the ball for easy baskets or trips to the foul line. He barely ever penetrates and when he does, somehow noone is open on a kickout like I see every other team in CBB do. Also, Ennis needs to have the mindset that he's going to score 15-20 points every game, because he can.

Fair is turning into a black hole. He needs to realize there are other players on this team. When he makes a move and defenders converge on him there are players wide open. This happened about 4 or 5 times last night.

Rak can score yet we refuse or unable to feed the post. Best way to stop a scoring drought is to feed the big man.

No spacing, with Ennis-Cooney-Fair-Grant-Xmas our frontline plays inside the 3 point line and around the paint. This causes alot of congestion, helps us attack offensive boards which we are great at but its not optimal spacing at all.

CorduroyG said:
Lets not act like cooney has been filling up the stat sheet. against BC he played 40 minutes and had 5 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists, and 0 steals. thats seriously hard to do, a gooseegg across the board in those 3 categories playing 40 minutes.

Nobodies acting like that. It's not saying Cooney has played great but G isn't doing more.

Beast said:

Nobody works harder at fighting through screens than Cooney. And his anticipation skills are why he gets so many steals and tips.

Nobody works harder at fighting through screens than Cooney. And his anticipation skills are why he gets so many steals and tips.
I never said that TC didn't work hard to fight through screens. I said G is able to fight through screens more effectively than him. And TC and G have nearly identical steals per 40 minutes stats. To be clear, I'm not criticizing TC's defensive ability, I'm just saying that, comparatively, G is a better defender than TC. And I think that is more a statement about how good G is at the top of the zone than anything else.

Beast said:
I never said that TC didn't work hard to fight through screens. I said G is able to fight through screens more effectively than him. And TC and G have nearly identical steals per 40 minutes stats. To be clear, I'm not criticizing TC's defensive ability, I'm just saying that, comparatively, G is a better defender than TC. And I think that is more a statement about how good G is at the top of the zone than anything else.

All 3 guys are pretty good with steals per 40. Cooney is 2nd in the ACC while Ennis is 4th and G 6th.

My major hang up with Cooney is when he misses. They are usually long and off the iron, which leads to a fast break or quick basket because we can't get our zone setup. Now that he's being pushed out further his misses are even longer than before. He needs to make shots, he's our shooter.

Last edited:
If you don't think that opposing coaches are game planning against TC...then you're a lost cause.

Last night was the second or third game this year where TC clanged wide open looks. Usually his off nights result when he doesn't get good looks. The part that bothered me about last night's performance was he seemed to be off target (left or right) rather than missing long or short. That is usually an indicator that a shooter is "drifting" on his shot which easily correctable.

You continue to question TC's athletic ability. Why? He is very athletic...has a great vertical jump, decent speed and above average quickness. It appears that he can penetrate off the dribble at will but lacks the confidence to do so. Even JB has been encouraging him to drive more.

Your disdain for Cooney is troubling and you've proven to be fully invested in ripping him every time his game doesn't meet your expectations. Pathetic.

Btw, other than in gym class, have you ever played the game?

RMH... never seen someone who acts like they know the game, but does not. yes, i played D1 ball and i also coached HS ball. But who cares? That is irrelevant. Teams DO NOT game plan for Cooney. They simply guard him.

Cooney has met my expectations, thats what you dont get. People here have been throwing out laughable comparisons and calling him better than GMac among others. That is the funniest thing i have ever heard.

The bottom line is i have always thought, and still do think, that G is better than Cooney overall. There is nothing that proves otherwise. If the minutes were reversed, i am fairly positive G would have better numbers than Trevor does. Again, you disagree because u are a rah-rah guy (where no one associated with SU can ever do wrong)... and thats fine.

But your OPINION is in no way any more valid that mine or anyone else's on this board. No one here is an expert.

The OP has had a consistent anti-Cooney agenda all year.

When you understand that, its easier to put his arguments into proper perspective.

Oh, and for the record--it doesn't matter how many times you insist that TC isn't a good athlete, repeating something that is false doesn't make it true.

I have never said TC is not athletic. G is just much more athletic.

So in other words, you made that post last night and ignored G's stats.
We've not had a shooting guard with so few assists in at least 10 years, if he can't score he needs to be able to find people on the offensive end for baskets. He catches the ball, and either shoots or just waits and passes to someone else. He made the kind of play at the end of this game he needs to do more, put the ball on the floor, drove into the lane and knocked down a jump shot. He needs to shoot less 3's, and get into the lane for jump shots, once he hits a few, the outside shots will start to fall. When Trevor starts becoming more of a threat to drive, he'll cause teams to cheat more on defense, and open others for better shots.

RMH... never seen someone who acts like they know the game, but does not. yes, i played D1 ball and i also coached HS ball. But who cares? That is irrelevant. Teams DO NOT game plan for Cooney. They simply guard him.

Cooney has met my expectations, thats what you dont get. People here have been throwing out laughable comparisons and calling him better than GMac among others. That is the funniest thing i have ever heard.

The bottom line is i have always thought, and still do think, that G is better than Cooney overall. There is nothing that proves otherwise. If the minutes were reversed, i am fairly positive G would have better numbers than Trevor does. Again, you disagree because u are a rah-rah guy (where no one associated with SU can ever do wrong)... and thats fine.

But your OPINION is in no way any more valid that mine or anyone else's on this board. No one here is an expert.
Kind of agree. Teams dont gameplan for him, they just tell someone to shadow him all over the court and every team is somehow able to do that. How does freakin Baylor get Brady Heslip open so often?

In the first post in this thread, i wrote (i believe) that there should be a 25-15 minute timeshare going forward. Cooney with the 25 minutes. How is this not a reasonable thing? Everyone takes even the slightest questioning of TC's greatness as a sign that we want him shot and buried in an unmarked grave. Get over it.

Cooney at 25 minutes and G at 15 minutes is far from crazy. Obviously that is a guideline that would be tweaked if TC ever starts shooting well again.

Until Cooney starts putting the ball on the floor more and creating scoring chances for other players (because he's still in this awful shooting funk) I see no reason why G's minutes should not increase little by little.

G's making plays, playing aggressive and getting other players good looks.

In the first post in this thread, i wrote (i believe) that there should be a 25-15 minute timeshare going forward. Cooney with the 25 minutes. How is this not a reasonable thing? Everyone takes even the slightest questioning of TC's greatness as a sign that we want him shot and buried in an unmarked grave. Get over it.

Cooney at 25 minutes and G at 15 minutes is far from crazy. Obviously that is a guideline that would be tweaked if TC ever starts shooting well again.

If Cooney shoots well again you'll stop posting again.

I haven't read where TC was compared to Gerry. Maybe I missed it but it's not a good comparison. Completely different players and roles.

You couldn't be more wrong about other team's game plan. Again, you're letting your disdain for TC blur your judgement.

D1...really? Where?

What he said isnt crazy, I dont understand the vitriol. I dont know what hes said or hasnt said in the past but his point as of today is a valid one.

Oh I agree Cooney is shooting bad. It's a valid point, but it's the only time you hear from the op. I guess my point is the board stinks today. Seems like lots of posters only show up when we don't play great or a certain player doesn't play great. Probably one of the reasons we aren't hearing from a lot of good posters like albanycuse or lawrinson at this time.

Oh I agree Cooney is shooting bad. It's a valid point, but it's the only time you hear from the op. I guess my point is the board stinks today. Seems like lots of posters only show up when we don't play great or a certain player doesn't play great. Probably one of the reasons we aren't hearing from a lot of good posters like albanycuse or lawrinson at this time.

He's shooting bad recently. 3-19 in last three games. Southerland went 4-18 to end the regular season last year then proceeded to go off in the BE Tourney hitting 19-33. Prior to his recent 3 game skid, Cooney was on pace to be the BEST volume 3 point shooter (more than 100 attempts) SU has had in the last decade-plus. If people think Cooney is a bad shooter, whats that say about the shooters SU has had for the last 10+ years? He's a different shooter for sure than others, a true classic jumpshooter who uses his legs more than most these days. Legs off/tired and shot will be off. I don't think its much more than that and we now have a light schedule to get him some rest. Not worried.

I post all the time, and certainly not just about Cooney. I have also stated countless, and i mean countless, times that we need TC to play well if we are going to win the title. I just dont see him turning it around. I hope i am wrong, i havent been yet since i noticed him slipping well over a month ago. if not longer.

I haven't read where TC was compared to Gerry. Maybe I missed it but it's not a good comparison. Completely different players and roles.

You couldn't be more wrong about other team's game plan. Again, you're letting your disdain for TC blur your judgement.

D1...really? Where?

I have no disdain. I dont HATE any 20 year old kids. I think our team is better when he is off the floor since the ACC started. This is my opinion. I will not deny that TC is by far the favorite player of CuseNation this year. You can just tell at the games as people erupt when he scores and gasp when he misses.

The small thing about Cooney's shots last night, yes, they were open, but it seemed like he was stepping further and
further back to loft it. I think his last one or next to last one was dead online and he front-rimmed it cuz he shot it
from like 25', instead of one step closer. Good shot, but it's a heave from that far away.

Kev