Ok , Benny Williams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ok , Benny Williams

When has pulling guys after 1 mistake ever worked in the history of basketball?
Nobody plays mistake free….not LeJohn, Jordan, Carmelo, nobody.
Great point. So true.

When has pulling guys after 1 mistake ever worked in the history of basketball?
Nobody plays mistake free….not LeJohn, Jordan, Carmelo, nobody.
Yep, when Benny stopped looking over his shoulder, he started playing like the 5 star player he is. By the way, he earned those 5 stars.

Last edited:
The answer to the question “what would happen if we just played Benny 30 minutes in a game” is: 14 points on 7 shots, 6 rebounds, and way better defense than any of the starters.
baloney, he made more plays tonight than he had all year, and he had opportunities all season. I’m looking for an actual reasonable and knowledgeable explanation

Benny playing so much, was not at least part of it because Cuse needed a more physical back line about the Duke players, plus other backliners didn’t play well initially? Nevertheless, as everyone, surprised he played so much and very glad he got a chance. Maybe it will instill some confidence in both player and coach.

baloney, he made more plays tonight than he had all year, and he had opportunities all season. I’m looking for an actual reasonable and knowledgeable explanation
I gave you one, but to elaborate:

Pressure was off, team was down by 20 immediately, and he was in for a long time, made some plays, and it snowballed.

Confidence matters in hoops.

Here's my take, which should qualify as "reasonable," at least IMO. Sadly, when JB put Williams in the game just 6-8 minutes in, the game's outcome was already decided for all intents and purposes. So, Benny was able to simply play the game of basketball, you know, as he has his entire life and have fun in the process. There was no worries of looking over his shoulder, playing tense, if one mistake was made getting yanked. Just play hoops.

Now, this was the only game so far in his short SU career where that has been the case. So, the cross section of data in that particular regard is nowhere abundant enough to conclude with any degree certainty of course, but that's my "reasonable" explanation.

Here's my take, which should qualify as "reasonable," at least IMO. Sadly, when JB put Williams in the game just 6-8 minutes in, the game's outcome was already decided for all intents and purposes. So, Benny was able to simply play the game of basketball, you know, as he has his entire life and have fun in the process. There was no worries of looking over his shoulder, playing tense, if one mistake was made getting yanked. Just play hoops.

Now, this was the only game so far in his short SU career where that has been the case. So, the cross section of data in that particular regard is nowhere abundant enough to conclude with any degree certainty of course, but that's my "reasonable" explanation.
I think you're right. Let's hope he never again has to play under pressure.

I know you're being snarky. However, there's different types of pressures and not all are created equally. An example: you are working on a project that not only has to be on time making the deadline, but it has to be sharp as hell. Now, take that same project, and your direct boss is looking over your shoulder every second you are working on it, where it feels like you can actually smell his putrid breath from breathing on you so heavy. That's a different pressure, certainly an added one. :)

He got to start his game by making a play that was entirely instinctual, and that athletically I'm not sure there's another guy on the team can do. Against big bad Duke.

And it took way too long this season, but that was an "I belong" moment.

Everyone is so anxious for every little thing to validate their hatred of Boeheim. If you have watched Benny this year and thought he was anything better than the worst scholarship player we have ever had, you are crazy.

There was a belief that based on his HS ranking that he must have some ability and so it appears his troubles were mental. Tonight, he goes in down 30 and absolutely no pressure on him and played his first credible game in his career. He still had a few preposterous moments like getting packaged on an easy breakaway, but he showed some good things too. Let’s hope it continues.

But instead of celebrating it as a development step for him and his coaches, here comes everybody to jump on the coach. It’s tiresome.

Benny was competing against Duke's monster back line and holding his own. On one play, late in the game, Mark Williams grabbed a rebound while Jimmy was standing flat footed. People asked why he didn't jump. Players jump when the ball is in rebounding range for them. Jimmy's range isn't close to what Mark Williams' is, so he has zero chance. At least Benny has a shot. Not too many people can get up to where Mark Williams is grabbing rebounds, but Benny can GET UP. He grabbed some rebounds with authority tonight. And that dunk off his own miss has to show you potentially what he can do down there. I really wish he tried to ram that first shot down though. He played tonight against game pressure. For some reason, you seem to get off on Benny failing, hopefully you will have to find some different means for pleasure from now on.

Everyone is so anxious for every little thing to validate their hatred of Boeheim. If you have watched Benny this year and thought he was anything better than the worst scholarship player we have ever had, you are crazy.

There was a belief that based on his HS ranking that he must have some ability and so it appears his troubles were mental. Tonight, he goes in down 30 and absolutely no pressure on him and played his first credible game in his career. He still had a few preposterous moments like getting packaged on an easy breakaway, but he showed some good things too. Let’s hope it continues.

But instead of celebrating it as a development step for him and his coaches, here comes everybody to jump on the coach. It’s tiresome.
My belief was based on his high school play and his play in our preseason games. One would have to be a fool to just look at ranking, though some may.

My belief was based on his high school play and his play in our preseason games. One would have to be a fool to just look at ranking, though some may.

Peace. I just meant if you only know him from his college play, let’s face it was mostly dismal.

Peace. I just meant if you only know him from his college play, let’s face it was mostly dismal.
Yeah, I can agree with that. Some of the mistakes he was making just didn't look like the player I had seen over the past year. So, I knew it was mental. He needed something to help him relax. Hopefully that switch was flipped tonight and we can start to see the player that he can be. He still isn't playing like a dawg. I wish he could develop that mentality. Because, if he played like a dawg, he would have thrown down a couple monster dunks tonight.

He still had a few preposterous moments like getting packaged on an easy breakaway, but he showed some good things too. Let’s hope it continues.

“Preposterous”, lmao. Duke kid made a great block.

What was actually preposterous was Jimmy driving into a Duke player and getting his weak crap volleyball spiked. Cartoonish.

The answer to the question “what would happen if we just played Benny 30 minutes in a game” is: 14 points on 7 shots, 6 rebounds, and way better defense than any of the starters.
So what happened at Wake?

“Preposterous”, lmao. Duke kid made a great block.

What was actually preposterous was Jimmy driving into a Duke player and getting his weak crap volleyball spiked. Cartoonish.

I definitely agree on Jimmy no doubt. Benny went up weakly with that shot. He could have and should have dunked that ball. He negated his best asset: his athleticism with how he went up and he got punked. In other words, he turned himself in that moment into Jimmy B and he got the exact same result Jimmy would have gotten.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom