Class of 2025 - OL/DL Jaylen Pray (NY/CT) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/25/24) | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 OL/DL Jaylen Pray (NY/CT) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (3/25/24)

It seems so bizarre that you can’t be considered a great player if you’re not playing in the top division. This kid to me seems to have best tape of a Syracuse QB recruit I have ever seen.

Who would want an athletic QB with great arm strength, ridiculous accuracy, great mechanics, and great pocket presence ? You never know for sure but he seems like a can’t miss prospect.
Completely agree. Best HS QB skills I’ve ever seen for a cuse commit since following around 2012. Screw the ratings, I trust my eyes and our coaches eval. Kids a stud.

It seems so bizarre that you can’t be considered a great player if you’re not playing in the top division. This kid to me seems to have best tape of a Syracuse QB recruit I have ever seen.

Who would want an athletic QB with great arm strength, ridiculous accuracy, great mechanics, and great pocket presence ? You never know for sure but he seems like a can’t miss prospect.
DeVito had very impressive tape along with the Elite 11 results.

Carney stat's are ridiculously impressive. Maybe none more so than the 80+ completion percentage. That's not easy to do even against air. It will be interesting to watch this play out.

Carney stat's are ridiculously impressive. Maybe none more so than the 80+ completion percentage. That's not easy to do even against air. It will be interesting to watch this play out.
To be extremely clear, this is not my position. Just explaining a viewpoint.

That said, I'm assuming this is where the question of opposing talent / issue with private school in Texas comes in. Talent in Texas doesn't flock to private schools like they do in NYC, NJ, Chicago, etc. So is he really good and facing inferior competition? Or could he become teammates with Washington at DeSoto and put up the same stats?

That seems to be the question Texas-knowers are asking.

That said, I'm assuming this is where the question of opposing talent / issue with private school in Texas comes in. Talent in Texas doesn't flock to private schools like they do in NYC, NJ, Chicago, etc. So is he really good and facing inferior competition? Or could he become teammates with Washington at DeSoto and put up the same stats?

The facilities in many, or most, of the public high schools in Texas are probably better than the private schools. The choice of attending a private/parochial school in the Dallas area, unlike the cities you mentioned, probably has to do more with type of academic instruction than athletics.

So the level of competition is a valid question.

I hear you and I understand that you were just sharing a viewpoint.

Don't count on it with Carney. A friend of mine has ties to the Texas recruiting evaluation scene - he told me there's a bias against private school players (both by schools and recruiting sites) in Texas because they're not playing in the extremely competitive public school leagues.
Carney is a 4 star with Rivals today.

https://n./content/athletes/luke-carney-277809?view=pv

Yeah based on a grade that was given 7 months ago (8/21/03) that hasn't been updated since. There will be an update at some point.
I'm passing on information that someone who knows more about these things than I do told me.

Do with it what you want.

The competition may not be as good but you certainly can see a players skill set. Weaker competition has nothing to do with arm strength, ability to throw in to very narrow windows or athletic ability , work etc

The competition may not be as good but you certainly can see a players skill set. Weaker competition has nothing to do with arm strength, ability to throw in to very narrow windows or athletic ability , work etc
Ricky TPB.jpg

Yeah I love jumbo athletes like this that are still growing into their frames. Bulk up - OT or DT. Stays Lean - TE or DE.

Staff knows the body type / metrics they want in athletes and they're going to gobble up the NE kids that fit the profile early. It's a good strategy.

Really the last time we saw something similar was during Marrone's era, but that was more often tweener types that say were small but fast or not quite a Lber but not quite a Safety. These kids are legit physical specimens for their respective positions and I really like that.
I remember visiting the team hotel for the first Pinstripe Bowl. I actually went to the team meeting room until getting kicked out. I was shocked how small the team looked.

And 247 has him as our lowest ranked commit.
I am just pointing out that what you are saying is wrong.

Carney has been rated a 4 star.

You might be right that in most cases, most players from private schools in Texas are not given good ratings by the recruiting services.

But this is clearly not always true.

As always, offers play a role in how some people perceive some players. If Carney gets offers from some of the Texas programs, it is going to result in a bump in his ratings. That may or may not happen depending in large part on existing commitments at those Texas schools and what happens from now to NLOI day for the 2025 class.

I am just pointing out that what you are saying is wrong.

Carney has been rated a 4 star.

You might be right that in most cases, most players from private schools in Texas are not given good ratings by the recruiting services.

But this is clearly not always true.

As always, offers play a role in how some people perceive some players. If Carney gets offers from some of the Texas programs, it is going to result in a bump in his ratings. That may or may not happen depending in large part on existing commitments at those Texas schools and what happens from now to NLOI day for the 2025 class.
So you're saying you know best?

I'm passing along something someone who knows more about Texas HS football politics than you or me does. I never said, "He got this rating because..." I'm saying I was told guys in Texas get dinged evaluation-wise for playing at private schools.

I'm passing along something someone who knows more about Texas HS football politics than you or me does. I never said, "He got this rating because..." I'm saying I was told guys in Texas get dinged evaluation-wise for playing at private schools.
I think what he is saying is that no all services have labeled him a 3 star and have observed the talent. He even said you might be right but his point was it’s not like some folks haven’t noticed.

DeVito had very impressive tape along with the Elite 11 results.

Actualy I personally don’t remember Devito’s tape being all that impressive. If I remember correctly I feel like his pocket presence and ability to go through his route progressions lacked in HS. He was an Elite 11 and had a strong arm. Everybody had sky high hopes from there as we were in a serious drought of recruiting highly ranked QB’s.

I think Carneys stats and highlights are much more impressive in my eyes. Only time will tell obviously.

Last edited:

I’m saying Rivals rates him a four-star player.

Actualy I personally don’t remember Devito’s tape being all that impressive. If I remember correctlyI feel like his pocket presence and abilirly to go through his route progressions lacked in HS. He was an Elite 11 and had a strong arm. Everybody had sky high hopes from there as we were in a serious drought of recruiting highly ranked QB’s.

I think Carneys stats and highlights are much more impressive in my eyes. Only time will tell obviously.
Pretty dismissive of a guy that has had a better nfl career than any qb that played at Syracuse not named Mcnabb.

I think what he is saying is that no all services have labeled him a 3 star and have observed the talent. He even said you might be right but his point was it’s not like some folks haven’t noticed.
I never said he wasn't going to be noticed.

I’m saying Rivals rates him a four-star player.
What does that have to do at all with what I said?

I shared that "his evaluation, from what I've been told, will likely take a knock because he plays in a private school league." You pointing to a 4 star rating to prove a point doesn't make what I said wrong.

In fact, it's just annoying. I go out of my way to learn things about process and context and try to share them because I think people will find them interesting. I'm not here to knock the kid, at all. So many people fail to grasp that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom