OL Struggles | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OL Struggles

the development of our young OL guys just doesn’t seem to be there. We have guys that perfectly match the ideal heights and weights for the position yet we have been forced/luckily to pick up 2 grad transfer OT’s. I am not impressed with Cavanaugh.

the development of our young OL guys just doesn’t seem to be there. We have guys that perfectly match the ideal heights and weights for the position yet we have been forced/luckily to pick up 2 grad transfer OT’s. I am not impressed with Cavanaugh.
Just a WAG but thinking if we miss out on a bowl he's the first casualty.

When Steven was breaking down the tape for the Syracuse game, he told me that the assessment of the OL was that they play "confused" and a bit slow. Not sure if he meant that because they're confused, they play slow, or that their being slow makes them look confused.
sort of how I feel around midnight on a Saturday night

I'm befuddled by the whole offensive scheme and adjustments. Yes the offensive line can't block it appears, but its not like the coaches can't see it, so what happens when Tommy has to scramble, the WR's take off further down field and are still covered and then Tommy has to throw the ball away, usually. There was one play where DeVito is flushed right has time while running towards the sideline, you can see he is looking for someone to come open but Jackson, just takes off down the sideline at half speed, steps out of bounds but is blanketed by a DB and DeVito finally has to launch the ball down to the area where Jackson is but 10 yards out of bounds, it's now 4th down, DeVito comes off the field towards Dino pointed down field as if to say no one came back, Dino looks at Jackson coming towards him and jestures back towards where DeVito threw the ball as if to say come back to the ball.

Now if that is the case and the coaches want the receivers to come back when DeVito scrambles then the WR's aren't understanding or executing it and this should be a large part of the practices since nearly every time we drop back DeVito has to scramble it seems. If the coaches aren't teaching this then... I don't know what they expect to get out of the passing game this year against decent teams. Make's we wonder if we even practice what to do if the protection breaks down.

Seems like the OLineman come here and forget how to block, WR's come here and struggle to get open or in scramble situations how to come back and help the QB, RB forget how to run, we run into the back of lineman and unless there is a Mack Truck size hole there's little shiftiness to avoid the one guy that trips them up for little gain. The play calling doesn't help, its as if we find something that might work, passes to backs and TE's but don't utilize them enough to force defenses to change. Getting very frustrating, so far this year Dino has been very under whelming as an offensive coach. Not giving up but there isn't a team on the schedule left that should be characterized as loss but as we saw against Maryland it may not take a great team to beat us just a team with some individual talent.

Dino is using more coach speak this year than any before. Our oline looking this bad at this point in the season is not good.

I did expect them to look more functional against Liberty than they did (Not perfect. Better) and I have expected more improvement than we've seen.

Since Mackey was brought up, it got me thinking can you be too tall to play center? It seems to me that Mackey is a lot shorter than Airon. Assuming the taller player has a higher center of gravity, that has to work against you if you play center.

The OL issues are befuddling to me. I could not believe my eyes watching the HC defense get pressure. That is completely unacceptable. The lack of talent and cohesiveness is honestly alarming.

Over the next 10 days, I'm hoping these kids/coaches can really focus on gelling and becoming more comfortable in their spots. Looking at Heckel on the sidelines, he doesn't seem like he's ready to come back. Could be wrong on that, but he just doesn't seem ready. Every position along the line has been blown up at times this year. Servais is susceptible to the bull-rush and the tackles get blown by against equal talent. Servais, Davis & Adams needs to hold their ground so Tommy can step into the pocket. We all saw what he can do when he steps into the pocket and gets his feet set on his throws. On the money.

Dino has a challenge in front of him. I don't disagree re: Cavanaugh's OL underwhelming abilities.

The plan B after Heckel's injury has been terrible. Given Heckel's past health issues, there should have been a viable plan B, C, Z, etc. The likelihood of an injury was pretty darn high.

Gonna throw this out there for discussion even though it probably won't be received well. Should we be looking at the off season workout program that Edinger has installed. The results just aren't there.

Yes
I sit right behind the SU bench. Cavanaugh just looks lost, wandering the sidelines. Don’t often see him interacting with players, and almost never interacts with any coaches. He doesn’t talk to the other coaches, and they almost never talk to him. He looks like an outcast. It’s bizarre. I’ve noticed this dynamic this year way more than last.

I'm befuddled by the whole offensive scheme and adjustments. Yes the offensive line can't block it appears, but its not like the coaches can't see it, so what happens when Tommy has to scramble, the WR's take off further down field and are still covered and then Tommy has to throw the ball away, usually. There was one play where DeVito is flushed right has time while running towards the sideline, you can see he is looking for someone to come open but Jackson, just takes off down the sideline at half speed, steps out of bounds but is blanketed by a DB and DeVito finally has to launch the ball down to the area where Jackson is but 10 yards out of bounds, it's now 4th down, DeVito comes off the field towards Dino pointed down field as if to say no one came back, Dino looks at Jackson coming towards him and jestures back towards where DeVito threw the ball as if to say come back to the ball.

Now if that is the case and the coaches want the receivers to come back when DeVito scrambles then the WR's aren't understanding or executing it and this should be a large part of the practices since nearly every time we drop back DeVito has to scramble it seems. If the coaches aren't teaching this then... I don't know what they expect to get out of the passing game this year against decent teams. Make's we wonder if we even practice what to do if the protection breaks down.

Seems like the OLineman come here and forget how to block, WR's come here and struggle to get open or in scramble situations how to come back and help the QB, RB forget how to run, we run into the back of lineman and unless there is a Mack Truck size hole there's little shiftiness to avoid the one guy that trips them up for little gain. The play calling doesn't help, its as if we find something that might work, passes to backs and TE's but don't utilize them enough to force defenses to change. Getting very frustrating, so far this year Dino has been very under whelming as an offensive coach. Not giving up but there isn't a team on the schedule left that should be characterized as loss but as we saw against Maryland it may not take a great team to beat us just a team with some individual talent.
I agree but all teams except us have hot reads when they see pressure coming. Whether it’s a dig or an out or short slant or anything to loosen the pressure. One step and throw. I see us slowly doing this now but we shoulda been doing it all along. Crossing patterns and all sorts of easy throws for Td.

Gonna throw this out there for discussion even though it probably won't be received well. Should we be looking at the off season workout program that Edinger has installed. The results just aren't there.
No cause he does what Dino wants. Dino wanted serv this way for lt. That’s what Ed did. They know what they are doing in weight room. Been asking myself about the coaches in the coaching room but not Ed.

WR dont always come back to the QB when he scrambles. its more break off the routes to help him out.. often the biggest throws are the short guys going deep and the deep guys coming back and the mids crossing towards the qb..

Oline ain't changing. penalties and turnovers holding us back from full potential. this is sheet we can correct.

The offensive line is really the one place on a team where you dont need superior talent to get excellent results. What you do need is good players playing well together. You can also scheme play to make up for offensive line issues, such as running plays that only rely on setting blocks not holding blocks, or you can run sweeps and counters to use speed rather than power runs,

It seems to me that we have a perfect storm of players not playing well and running schemes that don't fit the talents at times.

The line cant seem to pick up stunts and the tackles get beat on outside moves which would negate the ability to run sweeps or counters since they would run right into the defense. They cant seem to get a big push and open inside running lanes even against smaller teams which negates power running. That would indicate to me a lack of talent or just a total failure of coaching.

worse yet they cant hold blocks to allow a QB who has alll the throws to be able to step into throws and make plays downfield on a consistent basis, The other issue is they get zero out of the slot receivers so while the other teams may be dropping 8 guys they are really cutting off the middle of the field against the run as well since they dont really need to worry about anyone in the slot it appears.

what is the issue? well only the coaches know for sure but with the naked eye, the current players are just not good enough right now would be a first guess. the second issue would be maybe a total wrong scheme for the players who are here.

Its a shame really because Devito is an A+ qb. If he ever gets a line that can do what they need to and any kind of prouction out of the slot guys will forget about him not running like Dungey. Ive watched SU football since the Buffalo Bill Hurley days and Devito has the best stuff ive ever seen at QB for SU.

whuuuuuh????? bench would meet butt behind mcnabb, graves donnie mac and many others.

it’s hard to make the argument 5 games in... so I won’t

but... kid is accurate as hell and can make all the throws. More seasoning and a better line and an O coach like Baber’s...

it’s hard to make the argument 5 games in... so I won’t

but... kid is accurate as hell and can make all the throws. More seasoning and a better line and an O coach like Baber’s...
Right — it is too early. Tommy has to show that he can make plays against our ACC rivals. He has our line, our WRs and TEs. Make plays, win games, make a bowl. Then we can compare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom