OL Struggles | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OL Struggles

Cavanaugh hasn't shown me that he's a P5 OL coach.
I thought he was a super experienced guy at the P5 level?

Whatever. When the Jags can Marrone he can come back and kick butt as the best offensive line coach in college football for us.

If Cavs isn't the answer where does HCDB go from here? Cavs was a guy from outside the system. If you go back to the system what's the answer? And you don't necessarily have to hire and OL coach. You could give Lynch back the OL and hire a RB coach or whatever.

The old Baylor OL/OC is Randy Clements - he's a guy I'd want - but Taggart just hired him down at FSU this year to coach OL. Pulled him and Briles from Houston. Do you maybe look at Tulsa or do you go poach Matt Mattox from McNeese State? Mattox was with Babers early on at Eastern Illinois and BG but then has been following Gilbert around for the past 6. I get it that Gilbert jumped in as a HC but man it's FCS. Surely we could poach Mattox and give him OL/Run Game Coordinator titles or something to that effect.

consistency is the main issue.. it felt like every time HC ran a blitz stunt they got confused. yet even when the rushed 4 we barely create time.. It wouldnt be so bad of they were run blocking well but thats an issue too.

how many times did we drop back and all 5 guys were solid so tommy could stand and look? eVery pocket felt like 2.5 sec was the max before it broke down.

And we were only putting 3 guys into a pattern against 7 or 8 defenders for a lot of the game.

I have no clue, but are the RBs doing a good job calling out the blocking responsibilities?

I prefer football when the center calls out the blocking for the line.

Off the top of my head he generally goes right, I can not remember him ever going to his left.

Well, he's right handed. Most QBs find it easier to roll to their strong-side hand. It's very hard to roll the other way and make an accurate throw, unless you're throwing it out to the left flat, because you have to rotate your hips in order to square up so the ball doesn't sail on you.

If Cavs isn't the answer where does HCDB go from here? Cavs was a guy from outside the system. If you go back to the system what's the answer? And you don't necessarily have to hire and OL coach. You could give Lynch back the OL and hire a RB coach or whatever.

The old Baylor OL/OC is Randy Clements - he's a guy I'd want - but Taggart just hired him down at FSU this year to coach OL. Pulled him and Briles from Houston. Do you maybe look at Tulsa or do you go poach Matt Mattox from McNeese State? Mattox was with Babers early on at Eastern Illinois and BG but then has been following Gilbert around for the past 6. I get it that Gilbert jumped in as a HC but man it's FCS. Surely we could poach Mattox and give him OL/Run Game Coordinator titles or something to that effect.
As I posted elsewhere, if he's let go, would love Addazio as OL coach/Ass't HC (to attract him), and NE recruiter. That would be a big-time move for Dino and a great way to spend a little of our new cash.

why?

I guess you could say that the running back has better perspective since he can see the whole line, but just traditionally, the center calls the blocking for that play, based on how the defensive line lines up.
I hate that there is this dependency where the line has to rely on somebody else to tell them who to block. I mean, that could be one of the things that is holding this line back.
I don't recall any other coaches doing this, do you?

I guess you could say that the running back has better perspective since he can see the whole line, but just traditionally, the center calls the blocking for that play, based on how the defensive line lines up.
I hate that there is this dependency where the line has to rely on somebody else to tell them who to block. I mean, that could be one of the things that is holding this line back.
I don't recall any other coaches doing this, do you?

No - I think it’s unique to the system and has to do with tempo. I’d be interested to hear Dino’s take on it.

I recall a guy from the Nebraska board coming on here and saying, "Listen, I hate to break this to you fellas, but..."

I recall a guy from the Nebraska board coming on here and saying, "Listen, I hate to break this to you fellas, but..."

Maybe y'all need to go back and read through this thread. Our OL Coach is the same OL coach we had last year. It's the player personnel that has changed. As Babers said...the 2019 team isn't the 2018 team.

Maybe y'all need to go back and read through this thread. Our OL Coach is the same OL coach we had last year. It's the player personnel that has changed. As Babers said...the 2019 team isn't the 2018 team.
The OL wasn't good last year either. Losing Koda was huge, Dungey made it look better with his rushing numbers, but we had the same issues with guys getting pushed into the backfield.

The OL wasn't good last year either. Losing Koda was huge, Dungey made it look better with his rushing numbers, but we had the same issues with guys getting pushed into the backfield.
It's been the same issues since Dino took over. Makes you wonder how much of the problem is scheme.

It's been the same issues since Dino took over. Makes you wonder how much of the problem is scheme.

I don’t think it’s the scheme. The bones of it are Briles still and it came to prominence by putting OL in favorable positions (tempo, quick throws, RPO’s) when having a talent discrepancy with your opponent.

I think it’s probably a bunch of little things that add up. Lesser talent, maybe lesser OL coaching, training for tempo but going slower, communication issues, etc. I think defenses have caught up a little bit too.

I actually think they are closer than many here think and that the break will help. They just need to go from bad to mediocre for us to go bowling.

I don’t think it’s the scheme. The bones of it are Briles still and it came to prominence by putting OL in favorable positions (tempo, quick throws, RPO’s) when having a talent discrepancy with your opponent.

I think it’s probably a bunch of little things that add up. Lesser talent, maybe lesser OL coaching, training for tempo but going slower, communication issues, etc. I think defenses have caught up a little bit too.

I actually think they are closer than many here think and that the break will help. They just need to go from bad to mediocre for us to go bowling.
These are excellent points, and I too hope they breakthrough. I feel like Vettorello getting more comfortable (whether at right or left tackle) is the key.

It could somewhat be scheme. Bowling Green gave up a lot of sacks despite playing half their schedule against weak opponents. FSU, who should have talent, is giving up a ton of sacks this year.

When Briles brought his system to Baylor it was still relatively new. I think defenses have a better clue on how to play it now.

That being said we lack talent on the OL and at RB.

It could somewhat be scheme. Bowling Green gave up a lot of sacks despite playing half their schedule against weak opponents. FSU, who should have talent, is giving up a ton of sacks this year.

When Briles brought his system to Baylor it was still relatively new. I think defenses have a better clue on how to play it now.

That being said we lack talent on the OL and at RB.
We have plenty of talent at RB

We have plenty of talent at RB

We do? They aren’t good statically. They don’t pass the look test. IMO Dino has had the worst group of RBs since I have been following Syracuse.

We do? They aren’t good statically. They don’t pass the look test. IMO Dino has had the worst group of RBs since I have been following Syracuse.

No, these kids are good. It's the line. Adams and Jordan, next year, are going to light things up. We have 8 out of 10 guys on our 2 Deep on the O line back next year. You would hope by then that we could get competent run blocking out of them.

No, these kids are good. It's the line. Adams and Jordan, next year, are going to light things up. We have 8 out of 10 guys on our 2 Deep on the O line back next year. You would hope by then that we could get competent run blocking out of them.

Based on what? How can one watch our RBs abilities and say that we are upper half of the ACC?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom