Old Frank | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Old Frank

Again, so many H0T Takes in this thread. We should pin it so we can easily refer back to it during the year.

he will look great again on Saturday against Colgate, but go in the tank once ACC conference play starts. - I'm assuming you plan on selling your tickets immediately then.

I'm still holding out hope that Frank was sick or something last night. A truly horrendous performance. Badly missed shots. Passes off the backboard. Passes straight out of bounds. Zero hustle on a number of plays. He just looked incredibly sluggish the entire game, like he was walking in molasses or something. Perhaps too much fun in Miami??

Again, so many H0T Takes in this thread. We should pin it so we can easily refer back to it during the year.

he will look great again on Saturday against Colgate, but go in the tank once ACC conference play starts. - I'm assuming you plan on selling your tickets immediately then.

All that time I spend on the Off Topic board is really to prepare me for another season of reading this board.

Here's the thing. We all were saying he looks more comfortable because he's not looking over his shoulder for JB's hook this year. Well, if he plays like dog doo and then feels like he won't get pulled, even when he doesn't hustle back... That is a problem.

Awful job by JB tonight not yanking him when he was playing really bad and compounding it by not hustling. He has to know that crap won't be tolerated.
I didn't see any quit in Frank.

I totally disagree about JB yanking FH, JB needed to keep FH in. We need FH to learn and improve. And while Frank had a poor night he at least played smarter at the end. At crunch time FH took the ball to the rack, drew some fouls, and sank some FTs.

Frank is huge component of SU's team this year and next. Frank's improvement is much more critical to this season's success (and next season's potential) than giving HW developmental time.

Genuinely don't think Frank was as bad as the stats made him look. From where I sat, it looked like he took some good shots (just didn't hit them). He definitely forced some passes and played a bit out of control at times but hey, we still won.

He still looked better last night than against P5 opponents last season.

I don't agree 100% with you, but based on your argument wouldn't part of that be on the coaching staff. Isn't it up to them to make sure that he is 100% mentally in the game.
I agree and I think that's why you've seen the kid gloves from JB on most occasions when it comes to Frank. Especially now that we have no viable backup option. I don't necessarily mean not mentally in the game, I'm talking more mental toughness when it comes to shaking off adversity and playing at an even keel.

I just wanted to add one thing about Frank's perceived lack of hustle. There are two kinds of hustle; 1) the real kind, where you go hard when you have a chance to make a play, 2) the kind where there's nothing you could really do but you 'hustle' for the sake of keeping up appearances. IMO, Frank knows when he's beat and doesn't care much for keeping up appearances. If he's slow on a rotation at the top of the zone and a few steps from the shooter, running at him isn't going to affect the shot at that point (unless you're Hakim Warrick), so Frank doesn't do it. If anything, he reminds me of a NBA guard in that regard. NBA players excel at only using energy when/where it's needed. If Frank has any NBA skill, that's it lol.

He just had a bad game it happens..it was hard to stay focused for that game..uconn is horrible..

Frank was incredibly sloppy with the ball yesterday, but him and battle are really asked to do everything offensively for this team. The last two games we saw both Kansas and Uconn hedge hard on the screens and many times double the ball handler. It really stalled our offense for chunks of the game. The defensive scheme for opposing teams are going to throw out there are deny battle on the wing and double frank on the high ball screen. Moyer, Brissett, and Marek are going to have to find an open area to receive a pass and play 3 on 2. They got caught many times down by the baseline. I had been hopeful that at one point Marek or Brissett woud have flared to an open area after setting the screen to an open area to receive a quick pass once Frank or Battle were doubled up top. Offensively, this team has work to do, but they are a very young team that needs time. I thought offensively Marek would offer alittle more and be alittle bit more aggressive, but he is just very timid and passive and looks to pass quickly.

I noticed the same thing about the iggys! We still have some work to do but not looking especially promising for Franco or Spock.
Let’s not jinx it. I’ll be as happy to finish in last place if that’s how it turns out.

I just don't think FH will be consistent all year like other great point guards SU has had. His attitude should be consistent. Unfortunately, last night he didn't hustle after a few turnovers. He didn't get out to shooters and looked lazy in the process. That is a bad look. I hope he has a great rest of his season. The next test will be at Georgetown. He's better than their guards. Let's see how he does in our first road game.

I think FH will have his highs and lows in ACC play. Hopefully more of the former. I'll take that if he plays hard all the time.

Agreed on the hustle. I don't think he's going to be super consistent period, but I do think we'll see more good than bad and, quite frankly, we desperately need him. I also think he ran into his kryptonite -- a smaller, quicker guard who is desperate to live in his hip pocket. That's probably going to be an issue all year. Was for J-Hart for at least his first three seasons (John Linehan anyone?).

But you're right, Frank can't let what's happening on offense get him in trouble on defense.

Frank was terrible, probably as bad as you'll ever see a player play and remain on the court. He cannot play this poorly again. Playing a dumpster fire team like UConn, you can overcome something like that, but not against any ACC team (outside of maybe Pitt).

His warts were out in full force and that's the concern. His handle remains weak, he still throws lazy, weak one-handed passes or passes into traffic, he leaves his feet or picks his dribble up 30 feet from the basket, etc. That's what we saw last year, but only from time to time this year. He needs to cut that stuff out and just play. JB needs to put the ball in Tyus' hands much more than Frank's, and let him play the off-guard more often.

Frank now knows he won't be pulled unless he's in foul trouble. Not putting Washington in was curious.

He’s allowed a bad game. I wouldn’t freak out.

We’ve historically struggled vs Uconn, Nova and UL guards. Nothings changed. Its pesky, skilled, quick guards that bottle and jam our big guards.

Edit: he maintained his composure and still made some great passing plays. I think thats important as well. He kept his head in it.

I think because of what happened with Frank last year both on the court and off the court (that some people have hinted at) people are way to hard on FH. Was he bad last night? Sure. But I think some of the comments directed at FH are because they dislike him from the off the court stuff last year. This was his first real stinker this year and it happens sometimes. But you cant say he will fold against better comp for 1 this is Uconn this isn't "better" comp and 2 you are just throwing out the games against Kansas and Maryland who are better than UConn.

I think because of what happened with Frank last year both on the court and off the court (that some people have hinted at) people are way to hard on FH. Was he bad last night? Sure. But I think some of the comments directed at FH are because they dislike him from the off the court stuff last year. This was his first real stinker this year and it happens sometimes. But you cant say he will fold against better comp for 1 this is Uconn this isn't "better" comp and 2 you are just throwing out the games against Kansas and Maryland who are better than UConn.

I don't know about that theory. I think the vast majority of people here desire for Syracuse to be successful, first and foremost, superseding any alleged ill-will he may have left from his antics last year. I think we are "Syracuse" fans much more than parts that equate the sum. FH is just a part. And, speaking for myself, I want FH to have as much success as possible on the court as that directly correlates how Syracuse fairs this season. Compartmentalizing, his off court "stuff" last year has absolutely no bearing on my critiques of him as a lead guard/player for this team. Frank said last night after his horrid display that he promised it never will happen again. For the sake of Syracuse basketball this season, I sure hope so...we'll see how it plays out.

Reactions: MGP
Frank was incredibly sloppy with the ball yesterday, but him and battle are really asked to do everything offensively for this team. The last two games we saw both Kansas and Uconn hedge hard on the screens and many times double the ball handler. It really stalled our offense for chunks of the game. The defensive scheme for opposing teams are going to throw out there are deny battle on the wing and double frank on the high ball screen. Moyer, Brissett, and Marek are going to have to find an open area to receive a pass and play 3 on 2. They got caught many times down by the baseline. I had been hopeful that at one point Marek or Brissett woud have flared to an open area after setting the screen to an open area to receive a quick pass once Frank or Battle were doubled up top. Offensively, this team has work to do, but they are a very young team that needs time. I thought offensively Marek would offer alittle more and be alittle bit more aggressive, but he is just very timid and passive and looks to pass quickly.

I agree with your assessment and noticed this especially in Kansas. Marek has to start shooting the ball instead of just looking to pass immediately. I'm assuming he doesn't have the green light yet to do that but it really needs to happen.

I thought that today's article showed Frank saying all the right things. That tweet is another example. On to the next.

We need him to be a good player, and he needs to put this game behind him and move forward. Takes maturity to do so -- hopefully this new leadership he's demonstrating is indicative of him being able to do so.

What I saw last night was a PG struggling in all facets of his offensive game. I also saw a head coach that knows (has realized) that he needs that kid to play with confidence and I dare say...nurturing that player and encouraging him. I also saw a PG that is starting to realize that he has to lead. It was almost like Frank looked around him and realized "crap, these guys are all freshman!" Now, I did not say I saw said PG actually play well. Nonetheless I was encouraged. He has the physical skills and athleticism. And lets face it, SU's offense is not that complicated. I'd like to see him drive a little more, open up some lanes for Brisset and Moyer. I think JB is handling him perfectly this year and realizes some kid gloves are in order for Frank.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom