OT: Going to Camden Yard | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Going to Camden Yard

Yes indeed, but the service took forever and the prices were like 50% more than the outside location. After missing 1.5 innings on a couple occasions, some friends and I tried the Half Street option and never looked back.

I'll have to keep that in mind!!! My son would much rather have 5 Guys than anything else there.

If you go to Chaps Pit Beef, definitely get the Tiger sauce on your beef (its horsey mayo). They've also got a sandwich that is half pit beef, half sausage that I think is even better than just the beef.

If you are a craft beer lover, there is a good craft beer bar a short walk from the stadium called Alewife that usually has a pretty good tap list. A short drive north, further away from Camden Yards and your hotel, is Brewer's Art, an upscale brewpub which wins national awards for making great beer. They make great beer. Others mentioned Fells Point and there is a great craft beer bar that is listed in the top 100 in the world for craft beer yearly called Max's on the Corner. Tons of taps, maybe 60 or more by my memory, tons more bottles of special stuff.

Maryland Blue Crabs are in season. I think the best crabhouse in Baltimore is Bo Brooks, which is down on the way to Fells Point from Inner Harbor. You can get a dozen steamed Maryland blue crabs and that will feed a few people. Others swear by Obryzki's, which is a more upscale crabhouse in downtown.

If you take the family to the aquarium, I recommend just signing up for an annual family membership, which is maybe a couple bucks more than just getting single visit tickets but allows you to go right in and not wait for a specific time to get in. If you get single visit tickets you typically have to buy them for entry at a specific time a couple of hours later due to lines. If you get an annual membership, you walk right in with no wait. It really isn't much more at all. As you can tell, I'm an annual member and have only visited once.
Near the aquarium, there is a boat or submarine you can enter and tour. It is one of 5 maritime vessels in the area you can enter and tour as part of a package. My kids of 7 and 9 were interested and not bored by it.

Fells Point is the center of nightlife in Baltimore -- not kid friendly -- all adults, good bars and restaurants. Downtown Baltimore is not a good place to be after dark and don't walk from place to place downtown after dark once you get out of the immediate area of the stadium or Inner Harbor. I'm not kidding. I stayed twice last year at the best hotel downtown called Hotel Monaco. Nice hotel. At the end of the block after dark there was a group of female prostitutes and a block further north was a group of male prostitutes. A block north of that there were drug deals being done openly from cars doubleparked in the two lane road so that if you went up that street, you had to stop and wait for the car ahead of you to finish what they were doing and drive on. Big drug problem downtown and with that there is crime -- theft, muggings. I happened to be there on Easter and had to drive through that area to get to a Rite Aid to buy baskets and candy for the kids late on the Saturday night before.

Nice

If you go to Chaps Pit Beef, definitely get the Tiger sauce on your beef (its horsey mayo). They've also got a sandwich that is half pit beef, half sausage that I think is even better than just the beef.

If you are a craft beer lover, there is a good craft beer bar a short walk from the stadium called Alewife that usually has a pretty good tap list. A short drive north, further away from Camden Yards and your hotel, is Brewer's Art, an upscale brewpub which wins national awards for making great beer. They make great beer. Others mentioned Fells Point and there is a great craft beer bar that is listed in the top 100 in the world for craft beer yearly called Max's on the Corner. Tons of taps, maybe 60 or more by my memory, tons more bottles of special stuff.

Maryland Blue Crabs are in season. I think the best crabhouse in Baltimore is Bo Brooks, which is down on the way to Fells Point from Inner Harbor. You can get a dozen steamed Maryland blue crabs and that will feed a few people. Others swear by Obryzki's, which is a more upscale crabhouse in downtown.

If you take the family to the aquarium, I recommend just signing up for an annual family membership, which is maybe a couple bucks more than just getting single visit tickets but allows you to go right in and not wait for a specific time to get in. If you get single visit tickets you typically have to buy them for entry at a specific time a couple of hours later due to lines. If you get an annual membership, you walk right in with no wait. It really isn't much more at all. As you can tell, I'm an annual member and have only visited once.
Near the aquarium, there is a boat or submarine you can enter and tour. It is one of 5 maritime vessels in the area you can enter and tour as part of a package. My kids of 7 and 9 were interested and not bored by it.

Fells Point is the center of nightlife in Baltimore -- not kid friendly -- all adults, good bars and restaurants. Downtown Baltimore is not a good place to be after dark and don't walk from place to place downtown after dark once you get out of the immediate area of the stadium or Inner Harbor. I'm not kidding. I stayed twice last year at the best hotel downtown called Hotel Monaco. Nice hotel. At the end of the block after dark there was a group of female prostitutes and a block further north was a group of male prostitutes. A block north of that there were drug deals being done openly from cars doubleparked in the two lane road so that if you went up that street, you had to stop and wait for the car ahead of you to finish what they were doing and drive on. Big drug problem downtown and with that there is crime -- theft, muggings. I happened to be there on Easter and had to drive through that area to get to a Rite Aid to buy baskets and candy for the kids late on the Saturday night before.

I lived in Baltimore from 2008-2013 and can point you in the direction of some good restaurants - how long are you in town for and where are you staying?
Is Obryckis (sp?) still there. Great place for crab, they just dump it on your table. And if I remember correctly, Little Italy was walkable from the Inner Harbor.

Is Obryckis (sp?) still there. Great place for crab, they just dump it on your table. And if I remember correctly, Little Italy was walkable from the Inner Harbor.

Oh No! Obrycki's did close! Just looked at their website -- still have locations at BWI and Cleveland's Hopkins airport, but the crabhouse on Pratt St. closed. Very sad. I think Bo Brooks was and is better anyway, but Obrycki's was an institution.

Just eat one cheesesteak at the ballpark. Bayside went for a 2nd and almost didn't make it. Would have sucked because he was my ride home.

Also, don't miss Pickles across the street from left field. Great for pregame.

Love Camden Yards. Go to Boog's. It's pretty good. My favorite Camden Yards story...I was there the night of the OJ Simpson Bronco chase. Leaving the game there were hundreds of people lined up looking into the windows of nearby bars to watch the chase.

All these responses and no cross street market? By far the best pregame around. Shrimp, mussels, oysters, sushi ... It's great and they have 32 oz. beers. Pickles is fine but cross street is awesome. I want to go there right now

on Thursday. Never been. Any words of wisdom?
The Corner Stable in Cockeysville has the best baby back ribs ever. The meat literally falls off of the bone. Definitely a casual place. I used to see some Oriole players there back when I lived down that way in the '80's. I make sure I eat there at least once every year when I go down for Orioles and Nationals games.
If you're going into D.C. on a weekday, take the metro in from the Greenbelt station.

All these responses and no cross street market? By far the best pregame around. Shrimp, mussels, oysters, sushi ... It's great and they have 32 oz. beers. Pickles is fine but cross street is awesome. I want to go there right now

I actually never go to Orioles games anymore. Was always such a hassle to figure out who would be the designated driver going to a venue that demands one. I just do the Nationals games now because of the easier transportation options.

My long way of saying that I'm hardly in tune to what's there for pregame. I just remember Pickles being a staple, and man did that stadium work out for them. Last time I was there, that block was much more built out.

The Corner Stable in Cockeysville has the best baby back ribs ever. The meat literally falls off of the bone. Definitely a casual place. I used to see some Oriole players there back when I lived down that way in the '80's. I make sure I eat there at least once every year when I go down for Orioles and Nationals games.
If you're going into D.C. on a weekday, take the metro in from the Greenbelt station.

Heck, if it's a weekday, take MARC from Camden Yards. Not much difference in price, and it's a one-seat ride to Union Station.

Just eat one cheesesteak at the ballpark. Bayside went for a 2nd and almost didn't make it. Would have sucked because he was my ride home.

Also, don't miss Pickles across the street from left field. Great for pregame.

I think you drove on that one. UEO's special guest appearance in the Inner Harbor.

I think you drove on that one. UEO's special guest appearance in the Inner Harbor.

Oh good. I drove. I don't remember. Glad you're home safe. I do remember pregaming with the Kaiser.

I second the ball park tour idea. Lifelong Orioles fan, been many times. Going in August and am looking forward to my first trip to Dempseys, and the new area with the statues of Ripken, Murray, Palmer, Weaver, and Robinsons.

If you are a Hoffmann guy, DO NOT get an Eskay Oriole hot dog. NASTY

SIT CLUB LEVEL- air conditioned hallways and the concession people come to you. (Happy wife, happy life) Nicey nice!

Aquarium is amazing.

Berkshire Suites is very nice.

Oh good. I drove. I don't remember. Glad you're home safe. I do remember pregaming with the Kaiser.
yes, very good time. somewhere on my computer i have some cool pictures that i will unearth 1 of these days showing how the 3 of us are actually the reason why Syracuse made it to the ACC. the north and the south converged over beers and baseball that fine day.

Pickles, thats the name of that dive we were at?? that had kind of a bill bratzky...lets just sit here, start drinking and i bet they will throw up some old planks and a tin roof and call it a bar feel.

and then 1 day, 75 years later...Camden Yards goes up and Bill stands up and yells...See!! I told you this was a great spot!!

yes, very good time. somewhere on my computer i have some cool pictures that i will unearth 1 of these days showing how the 3 of us are actually the reason why Syracuse made it to the ACC. the north and the south converged over beers and baseball that fine day.

Pickles, thats the name of that dive we were at?? that had kind of a bill bratzky...lets just sit here, start drinking and i bet they will throw up some old planks and a tin roof and call it a bar feel.

and then 1 day, 75 years later...Camden Yards goes up and Bill stands up and yells...See!! I told you this was a great spot!!

I think we were at a bar a couple doors down from Pickles, those who moved into the empty space after the stadium was already there.

But the rest of your post is accurate. I've spent many a night at the divey Pickles, overtaken by Yankee fans, celebrating yet another win over the Orioles. This is primarily late 90s timeframe. At some point I think Jeter was batting .900 in that park. From my googling, the settlers of Pickles descended in March 1988. Construction started on Camden Yards in 1989. I've never accidentally planned anything that well, up to and including pregnancies.

I actually never go to Orioles games anymore. Was always such a hassle to figure out who would be the designated driver going to a venue that demands one. I just do the Nationals games now because of the easier transportation options.

My long way of saying that I'm hardly in tune to what's there for pregame. I just remember Pickles being a staple, and man did that stadium work out for them. Last time I was there, that block was much more built out.

Pickles is fun too, I'm just an unabashed market fan. I like the Nats games as well but. Metro is great, even though the red line has been a disaster for the past year or so. Getting older has solved my designated driver problem since I get miserable hangovers now.

Just bought Club Seats for Saturday on StubHub. Looking forward to it. A nice little Fathers Day weekend in the Inner Harbor.

I was at the game vs the As last Sunday (the Machado bat-throwing incident). If the weather looks iffy (like tonight), or a brutally hot daytime game, the terrace box seats (which are covered) are a good choice. The aquarium is awesome, but is pricey for a family and requires a few hours to really appreciate. For food, I would recommend avoiding the Inner Harbor and head up Charles Street, or Little Italy (I like Sabatinos), which is maybe a 1.5 mile hike from OPCY. For a more moderately priced meal, try the "Sip and Bite" on Boston Street (which was featured on DDD).

Jake said:
Love Camden Yards. Go to Boog's. It's pretty good. My favorite Camden Yards story...I was there the night of the OJ Simpson Bronco chase. Leaving the game there were hundreds of people lined up looking into the windows of nearby bars to watch the chase.

My favorite story is the time I was there by coincidence on the 10 year anniversary of Ripken's big night. They went through the whole dog and pony show that they did that night, and I had my wife snap a pic. I have "photo proof" that I was there on the record breaking night, as far as anyone else knows.

Attachments

• image-1013956154.jpg
    image-1013956154.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 111

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online