OT-MNF Damar Hamlin emergency | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT-MNF Damar Hamlin emergency

Posted before, and then took it down, but now it is confirmed that the Bills are flying back to Buffalo tonight. Some players are staying back to be at the hospital. They actually just left the stadium to go to the plane.

There is literally no “better” (obviously use of that word is for simple relativity) place for something like that to happen from a medical perspective unless it was inside the ER.

Even just at practice outcome could be different, I’d suspect.
I'm certain that SU has AEDs available at all practice facilities. So does every public school buliding in NYS, including a madate to have at least one staff memeber trained in AED use at all school sponsored events regardless of location. As a HS coach, we needed to be certified in CPR and AED.

I'm certain that SU has AEDs available at all practice facilities. So does every public school buliding in NYS, including a madate to have at least one staff memeber trained in AED use at all school sponsored events regardless of location. As a HS coach, we needed to be certified in CPR and AED.
Oh, I’m sure they do. How about an ambulance and trained medical pros within yards away though?

Does anyone on this board recall the Syracuse vs. East Carolina game (I think), in the dome, about 20 years ago when the referee collapsed on field and an ambulance was brought out to give the man CPR? I believe he survived. I immediately thought of that when this happened.
Came right to mind when I saw him fall. Wasn’t hit and tackle seemed to be routine. I remember the ref collapsing and I remember the defibrillator going off. The whole done gasped. There was also a really good pro bb player they collapsed, Reggie, last name escapes me. He died of cardiac arrest, had an enlarged heart. Let’s pray he gets through this. Probably will need an ICDfor the rest of his life, alternative is better. I’ve been through similar…

isnt that pretty much what killed the Cornell Lax player a few years ago?
Yes. In his case it was a shot to the chest. Senior and one of 4 captains. Hopefully Hamlin has a better outcome. They were doing cpr right away which prevents the anoxic brain injury until you can get additional care. It’s so random and shocking. If you have a chance learn cpr. You never know when you will need it.

Yesterday was a tough day. During the USC/Tulane game they showed a young man who was paralyzed playing football from Tulane and right after that a young man from Purdue was carted off in a stretcher strapped in with possible spinal issues and then this horrific accident with Damar, it is difficult to watch this happen and I can not imagine how a loved one feels seeing things like this live or on TV. I'm so glad Damar's mom was able to be with him.

[dislcaimer: nothing is more important than the well-being of Damar Hamlin. The game is an extremely distant second.]

That being said, would simply ruling this game a tie and moving on be appropriate? Or unfair to Cincinnati since they were winning?

[dislcaimer: nothing is more important than the well-being of Damar Hamlin. The game is an extremely distant second.]

That being said, would simply ruling this game a tie and moving on be appropriate? Or unfair to Cincinnati since they were winning?
Both teams are going to end up getting screwed schedule wise unless they get rid of the bye before the SB. They are going to play the rest of the game as it was hyped to be the biggest regular season game this year. There's no way Goodell cancels it. They didn't cancel any games during the pandemic and they won't for this.

It's actually a good question, but I cannot get myself to care.

Came right to mind when I saw him fall. Wasn’t hit and tackle seemed to be routine. I remember the ref collapsing and I remember the defibrillator going off. The whole done gasped. There was also a really good pro bb player they collapsed, Reggie, last name escapes me. He died of cardiac arrest, had an enlarged heart. Let’s pray he gets through this. Probably will need an ICDfor the rest of his life, alternative is better. I’ve been through similar…
Reggie Lewis. His situation may have been unlike Hamlin’s since it was a pre-existing condition, and he had collapsed once before during a game before he sadly passed after collapsing during a practice.

I will admit last night had me pretty shook because of Lewis. I was an intern in the news department of a Boston TV station the summer he collapsed for the second time. I was at the hospital with a camera man when Reggie passed. It was awful. Hoping Damar recovers.

That doctor on YouTube does a great job of explaining how 1 in a billion this really is. First the blunt force has to be hard enough, and second the heart has to be in the Twave portion of the rhythm (milliseconds). If the heart is in any other portion of the rhythm the arrest doesn’t happen.

Reggie Lewis. His situation may have been unlike Hamlin’s since it was a pre-existing condition, and he had collapsed once before during a game before he sadly passed after collapsing during a practice.

I will admit last night had me pretty shook because of Lewis. I was an intern in the news department of a Boston TV station the summer he collapsed for the second time. I was at the hospital with a camera man when Reggie passed. It was awful. Hoping Damar recovers.
I don’t think this is a pre existing issue. I believe they think it’s commotional cortis

There are so many heart related issues that most people dont know they have. I have no idea what happened to him and have no medical background whatsoever but sometimes this crap happens for a reason. It happened to me. (and I am certainly not comparing this to what happened to me). Summer of 2020 I came down with a severe case of Lyme disease. Was bedridden and it went undetected for weeks. When I finally was tested it had gone so long that it affected my heart. My heart stopped "firing" normally and it resulted in me having to get a pacemaker to fix that issue. I was pretty upset and had a million questions as to why this happened, could it have been prevented had I been tested earlier, did someone drop the ball ,etc.

Fast forward to post surgery and my now cardiologist tells me that after this whole ordeal they found an aortic aneurysm that I had no clue I had that if it wasn't detected probably someday would have killed me in a NY minute. My point is sometimes this stuff happens for a reason and maybe this was his reason and maybe there was some underlying condition that ultimately will save this kids life.

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

There are so many heart related issues that most people dont know they have. I have no idea what happened to him and have no medical background whatsoever but sometimes this crap happens for a reason. It happened to me. (and I am certainly not comparing this to what happened to me). Summer of 2020 I came down with a severe case of Lyme disease. Was bedridden and it went undetected for weeks. When I finally was tested it had gone so long that it affected my heart. My heart stopped "firing" normally and it resulted in me having to get a pacemaker to fix that issue. I was pretty upset and had a million questions as to why this happened, could it have been prevented had I been tested earlier, did someone drop the ball ,etc.

Fast forward to post surgery and my now cardiologist tells me that after this whole ordeal they found an aortic aneurysm that I had no clue I had that if it wasn't detected probably someday would have killed me in a NY minute. My point is sometimes this stuff happens for a reason and maybe this was his reason and maybe there was some underlying condition that ultimately will save this kids life.

Shoot dude isn’t an aortic aneurysm the widow maker?

Wow. So sorry to hear what you went through but it sounds like it potentially saved your life. Here's to a very long life!!!

Marsh,

I've been dealing with Lyme Disease since Fall 2019. I'm doing way better now (I work out every day) but I still have fatigue that comes and goes. Feel free to DM me if you want to compare experiences and talk more.

Marsh,

I've been dealing with Lyme Disease since Fall 2019. I'm doing way better now (I work out every day) but I still have fatigue that comes and goes. Feel free to DM me if you want to compare experiences and talk more.
hang in there kid. I do as well (sometimes to the extreme with the workouts much to my wifes dismay at times).

I was watching with my kids. I had the sense to hide the visual with the menu when I saw the trainer shouting. My daughter was extremely upset and I described the east Carolina ref having the great attack, how the emts there brought him back, how he came back to be recognized, happy ending.

My uncle is dying (probably today - huge ND fan but don't hold that against him) I'll probably explain to them that sick 92 year old is passing peacefully after a good life is very different from a 24 year old with his life ahead of him

I'm way too scared of this with both kids playing ball. I'm more scared of my son hitting someone else, he hits and has drilled kids pitching to him.

Was mentioned in another thread already, but one possibility is that the cardiac arrest was caused by the timing of the hit to the chest and not by an underlying condition. If you get hit hard at exactly the right time it can change the rhythm of your heart which causes it to stop. There is a slight delay to it stopping when this happens, which explains how he was able to get back up after the hit. The incident is usually more common in baseball lacrosse and hockey due to getting hit by the ball/puck. NHL vet Chris Pronger was a victim of this:

Dumb question but when they say a medical facility is a Level 1 Trauma Center what does that mean? Are any of the Syracuse facilities Level 1?

That doctor on YouTube does a great job of explaining how 1 in a billion this really is. First the blunt force has to be hard enough, and second the heart has to be in the Twave portion of the rhythm (milliseconds). If the heart is in any other portion of the rhythm the arrest doesn’t happen.
Thanks for finding that. I recalled having read something about that somewhere, but didn’t even know how to explain it, let alone what it was called.

Dumb question but when they say a medical facility is a Level 1 Trauma Center what does that mean? Are any of the Syracuse facilities Level 1?
Upstate Medical Center is one. My brother in law was airlifted there after a major snowmobile accident about 10 years ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom