OT: vaccine | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

OT: vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My college employer just announced that students will be required to be vaccinated in order to be an on campus student. I’m sure other colleges will also require vaccination to attend, and this will cause a bump in vaccinations mid summer.

Update: yesterday was the day after my second dose. Slept fine the night of the shot, had no side effects the day of the shot / most of the day yesterday.

Around 8pm last night, I got really fatigued -- no chills, body aches, sickness -- just felt unnaturally weary / exhausted [very atypical for me]. Went to bed early, woke up fine today.

If that was all I had to deal with, small price to pay.

same thing for me with Pfizer.

This is correct. The vast majority of people I work with are in London and they have their 2nd shots scheduled 12 weeks after the 1st.

Sadly I think the supply of shots will be higher than the demand here shortly. Not sure why, but it appears that alot of Americans do not want or trust the vaccination.
You have people like me who are relatively young, healthy and don’t want something injected into our bodies that doesn’t have much of a history.

You have people in red states that have been living life wide open for over 8-9 months now. Nothing changes for them if they get vaccinated. There are no “carrots”.

I saw a post today that read: “I like cake. If given the choice, I’d eat some cake. But if someone demands I eat cake, I’m going to pushback on eating cake”. Certainly some of that sentiment out there (he’s a prominent black guy on Twitter fwiw - and not the grifter MAGA kind).

Then you have the J&J issue plus vaccinated people in power not acting vaccinated and it all leads to this hesitancy.

You have people like me who are relatively young, healthy and don’t want something injected into our bodies that doesn’t have much of a history.

You have people in red states that have been living life wide open for over 8-9 months now. Nothing changes for them if they get vaccinated. There are no “carrots”.

I saw a post today that read: “I like cake. If given the choice, I’d eat some cake. But if someone demands I eat cake, I’m going to pushback on eating cake”. Certainly some of that sentiment out there (he’s a prominent black guy on Twitter fwiw - and not the grifter MAGA kind).

Then you have the J&J issue plus vaccinated people in power not acting vaccinated and it all leads to this hesitancy.
That these vaccines "don't have much of a history" is just wrong. There is perhaps only one medication in the history of the world--smallpox vaccine--that has been used on more patients. Hundreds of millions of doses have been administered.

What is your position on private entities refusing to allow unvaccinated people into their establishments?

To me, this is not a personal issue, but one of public health. And, healthy or not, the unvaccinated can be infected and thus spreaders of a deadly virus.

That these vaccines "don't have much of a history" is just wrong. There is perhaps only one medication in the history of the world--smallpox vaccine--that has been used on more patients. Hundreds of millions of doses have been administered.

What is your position on private entities refusing to allow unvaccinated people into their establishments?

To me, this is not a personal issue, but one of public health. And, healthy or not, the unvaccinated can be infected and thus spreaders of a deadly virus.
We’re not going to agree at all on this issue, so I’ll leave what I said at that and not drag the thread into the abyss.

Appreciate the comments gang. Thought I would clarify a few things.

- I do not want to be political here, but it was your new President who halted the shipments to us from the manufacturers. He has now recently opened things up. At the present time I think we only have about 25-30% of our population who have received one dose.
- We had plenty of the Asto vaccines which have been given to people under the age of 55.
- People in nursing homes and those over 80 have been getting vaccines as a priority.
- The next priority was people between 60 and 70.
- My son (age 42) works in the health care industry and got both his shots quite a while ago.
- With regards to the border, it was Canada who essentially closed the border (to non essential traffic) early on as the cases in the U.S. were way higher than up here. Unfortunately we are in the middle of the third wave and cases are skyrocketing so I don't see the border opening any time soon.
- On a "per capita" basis our cases have always been considerably lower than in the U.S. However, this disparity is dwindling.

are there is the point.. this tech has been around for 30 yrs.

Just had my second shot at the fairgrounds, the first shot I had a numb forearm after some time passed, this time it came almost immediately. Had some breathing issues after a week, have a feeling I’ll be having some side effects this time too since the arm thing came so quickly.
Swear to god read through this quickly and accidentally missed the “t” in “it” before “almost immediately.” Did a double take.

Last edited:
same thing for me with Pfizer.
Yeah, it’s been widely reported that the 2nd day after the final Pfizer dose is when most symptoms kick in. Fatigue, chills, headache & fever- all par for the course. Wife got her 2nd last week, had some chills, and viola...now we’re both done & making plans to go see our Grands.

30 yrs ago had i felt like i did after the 2nd shot i would have gotten up and gone out for a big breakfast and gone and played some ball for a couple hrs and been ready to go.. now its just which room do i want to sit in a chair and watch a rerun all day..

I really enjoy this board. I'm super excited about the new guys we've brought in through the portal, and the recent Kamari Lands commitment. Next season should be fun! That said, I would probably post here more often, but I am trying to avoid unnecessary stress. For what it's worth, I really wish this topic could be kept in the Off Topic Forum since it is in no way basketball related. People who post here regularly know the thread exists, and could go to it easily. Just a suggestion because I'm on Covid/vax overload. Thanks for the consideration.

Got mine at noon. Hurt more than the first one. Arm sore now. Feel tired but I often do. I expect to not feel great tmrw, like a hangover. So I figured why not have a couple drinks. Just a couple.
I did the same, roughly a $200 dollar bar tab, yesterday was not good. Was like double the hangover and still feel it haha.

Edit: my 2nd shot was Thursday.

Last edited:
I really enjoy this board. I'm super excited about the new guys we've brought in through the portal, and the recent Kamari Lands commitment. Next season should be fun! That said, I would probably post here more often, but I am trying to avoid unnecessary stress. For what it's worth, I really wish this topic could be kept in the Off Topic Forum since it is in no way basketball related. People who post here regularly know the thread exists, and could go to it easily. Just a suggestion because I'm on Covid/vax overload. Thanks for the consideration.

A LOT of posters never go over to the dark side.

So - if this gets moved there, then what is a very valuable resource gets lost to the majority of posters here.

If you don’t like this thread you can either not click on it, or put it on Ignore.

You can put the thread on ignore.

if you interact with lots of people or are older than 60ish then the flu shot makes sense, if you dont mind that you may get get knocked down for 3-4 days if you get it or worse if you have other issues then its just a matter of preference.. for so many its a free thing so why not take advantage of it..

A LOT of posters never go over to the dark side.

So - if this gets moved there, then what is a very valuable resource gets lost to the majority of posters here.

If you don’t like this thread you can either not click on it, or put it on Ignore.
i thought the dark side was the pay side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom