OT: vaccine | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dad is 92. If they give him any trouble, he'll smack someone upside the head. :p
If the person he smacks recieved their second dose earlier that day, that'll hurt.

My headache is starting to kick in pretty good right now.

I was hoping to do that, but our dates were assigned. Doing it on Friday would've been ideal.
My wife is getting her 2nd this Friday. She already knows it's going to be a rough weekend.

Anecdote from Mrs. Toga who works at a VA hospital. The 2 co-workers she knows who recovered from Covid both got pretty sick after the 1st dose.

Anecdote from Mrs. Toga who works at a VA hospital. The 2 co-workers she knows who recovered from Covid both got pretty sick after the 1st dose.
This appears to be the case for me as well. First dose kicked the crap out of me, so the second should be even less pleasant. Still worth it!

My mother-in-law is gonna be 99 in July. Any thoughts in terms of the risk for someone her age getting the vaccine? I realize this is not a medical forum but just curious if folks know anybody that age who has gone through it. She is in good shape except for some minor heart issues.

My mother-in-law is gonna be 99 in July. Any thoughts in terms of the risk for someone her age getting the vaccine? I realize this is not a medical forum but just curious if folks know anybody that age who has gone through it. She is in good shape except for some minor heart issues.
i think thats a question for her doctor to answer.

any cancelled or no show appointments , i believe the clinics find a health care worker that needs /wants a shot to give them the one.

i think thats a question for her doctor to answer.

Maybe I didn't phrase the question properly. The entirety of this thread has been about personal physical reactions to the vaccine. I'm inquiring if others know of someone well up in age in terms of how the vaccine affected them. One thing I did properly phrase was that I admitted this is not a medical forum. Obviously medical doctors will be consulted.

There was a story here on the news (Boston) showing a 100 year old lady getting the vaccine.

DMDMD - any thoughts here?

Maybe I didn't phrase the question properly. The entirety of this thread has been about personal physical reactions to the vaccine. I'm inquiring if others know of someone well up in age in terms of how the vaccine affected them. One thing I did properly phrase was that I admitted this is not a medical forum. Obviously medical doctors will be consulted.
Does she get flu shots? How does she react to them? I am "older" (but not as old as she is), and the reaction to my COVID shot was very similar to the reaction to all my flu shots. But I agree that a doctor's recommendation should be key here.

I too and my wife are scheduled to get our second (Moderna) shot on 2/10. The next two weeks cannot go by quickly enough.

i have my first scheduled at state site but not until april, hoping something sooner opens up more locally before then but wanted to have a place just in case

My wife’s grandmother is 101 and got her her 1st dose and had no issues. She’s due for the second dose soon.

My parents (74 and 73 and both with co morbidities) just had their first dose and had no issues at all.

I’m only 49 but got my first dose Monday and had no issues besides a sore arm. I qualified because of a little cancer battle this past year which got me prioritized, although I did feel a little guilty waiting in line as I was quite a bit younger than most.

I am sure the 2nd dose will be no picnic but it’s worth it.

Cuse!

Does she get flu shots? How does she react to them? I am "older" (but not as old as she is), and the reaction to my COVID shot was very similar to the reaction to all my flu shots. But I agree that a doctor's recommendation should be key here.

Thanks for the response.

My wife’s grandmother is 101 and got her her 1st dose and had no issues. She’s due for the second dose soon.

My parents (74 and 73 and both with co morbidities) just had their first dose and had no issues at all.

I’m only 49 but got my first dose Monday and had no issues besides a sore arm. I qualified because of a little cancer battle this past year which got me prioritized, although I did feel a little guilty waiting in line as I was quite a bit younger than most.

I am sure the 2nd dose will be no picnic but it’s worth it.

Cuse!

Appreciate that. Best of luck to you.

Not medical advice...just my medical opinion: I would say get the vaccine. There may be other variables that go into that decision, of course. Good luck to her (and you) regardless of her final decision.

Just got my second shot today. A bunch of my colleagues got theirs yesterday and feel like crap today. Some are working with general aches and fatigue. I think at least one wasn't allowed to see patients today because she had a temp over 100.

Got my second moderna yesterday and currently 36 hrs in to what feels like a bad hangover. I think I’m coming out of it and didn’t even have a Bloody Mary

Not medical advice...just my medical opinion: I would say get the vaccine. There may be other variables that go into that decision, of course. Good luck to her (and you) regardless of her final decision.

Thx Hershey. Yeah I'm def pro vaccine. I hesitate a little because I've heard several people (not only here) talk about how the vaccine kicked the hell out of them and they were far younger than 98-1/2.

Thx Hershey. Yeah I'm def pro vaccine. I hesitate a little because I've heard several people (not only here) talk about how the vaccine kicked the hell out of them and they were far younger than 98-1/2.
You’re welcome! It seems the vaccine, much like the virus, has an annoying randomness as to how it affects people.

It seems the vaccine, much like the virus, has an annoying randomness as to how it affects people.
Read an article today saying many scientists now think >50% of infections are transmitted by people without symptoms, and the CDC estimates that 40-45% of those infected never develop symptoms.

That along with the new more contagious strains being identified, and reported aerosols hanging in the air traveling more than 6', keeps me worried about my family.

Has been hard to get my spouse to understand "everybody feels fine" doesn't = "no precautions necessary, let's all have a family dinner with our elderly relative"!

We're all fortunate to have vaccines available so fast.

I'd like to know the economic class of those who have gotten the vaccine already. Have a feeling working collar people like me and my family will be waiting awhile. Just like the lifeboats on the titanic.
We got on a waiting list that had no way to recognize economic class. However, to get a low number on the age 65+ list, we had to sign up very quickly when notice of the list came out. My wife was #480, and although I signed up only a few minutes later, I was #1027. Soon after, they were in the 8000 range. So, if 65+ folks were still working and did not get early notice, they would have to wait longer.

Getting my first dose of Moderna Friday night. Had COVID last April. It wasn’t fun. I’m an educator who is physically in school each day. I’ll check back in with any side effects. My 70 something parents received their first doses within the last few weeks(mother Pfizer, father Moderna). They both had arm pain and my father had some other body aches but that’s about it.

I would say the risk with the vaccine is much lower than risks if she gets the actual virus. All of the reactions people are talking about are a result of the immune system reacting as if you were sick not because you are. Everything I've heard says they subside in 24 hours. So far anyone I've heard of that has had some sort of dangerous reaction had it within 15 minutes of getting the shot which is why they make people wait onsite before they can go and those have been rare allergic reactions.

Full disclosure. I'm not a doctor but I pay really close attention to what they're saying. Your mom is the typical demographic of my patients.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom