OT: vaccine | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

OT: vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting my first dose of Moderna Friday night. Had COVID last April. It wasn’t fun. I’m an educator who is physically in school each day. I’ll check back in with any side effects. My 70 something parents received their first doses within the last few weeks(mother Pfizer, father Moderna). They both had arm pain and my father had some other body aches but that’s about it.
I'm curious to see if it is different for people that have already had the virus.

Last edited:
We got on a waiting list that had no way to recognize economic class. However, to get a low number on the age 65+ list, we had to sign up very quickly when notice of the list came out. My wife was #480, and although I signed up only a few minutes later, I was #1027. Soon after, they were in the 8000 range. So, if 65+ folks were still working and did not get early notice, they would have to wait longer.
I didn’t. Get a number but have to wait til 3-30 and drive to plattsburg ny.

I’m visiting in Florida but regardless of age or morbidity issues...no vaccine unless u can prove Florida residency.
i’m dropping beaucoup bucks in Florida but since the allocations of vaccine are predicated on population and out-of-state residents are not part of that base I guess I can understand. I guess it leaves More vaccine in the states from which they come. But regardless of where we live 60 to 70% will have to be inoculated to give us hred immunity

immunity

Anyone worried about what the vaccine does to you, don’t. It’s not close to what the actual virus does to you. I’d trade feeling tired for 36 hours than feeling tired for 2 months. It never ends!
Yep. I have a patient right now who got it the same time as her daughter. The patient is 80, the daughter is 50 and healthy (not overweight, no comorbidities) . They both have technically recovered (no virus in their system), my patient is so short of breath after walking 20 feet she can't talk. Her daughter is doing better but was on supplemental oxygen for a while and says she still gets fatigued significantly faster than normal.

My mother-in-law is gonna be 99 in July. Any thoughts in terms of the risk for someone her age getting the vaccine? I realize this is not a medical forum but just curious if folks know anybody that age who has gone through it. She is in good shape except for some minor heart issues.
To my knowledge there is no age limit to vaccination. In terms of side effects, in the trials young people actually had more severe side effects than older people. Whatever unknowns there may be, I would certainly prefer the unknowns of vaccination to the likely consequences of her getting COVID at that age.

I’ll be 64 in a couple of weeks and wonder how long it will be before I can get the vaccine? It’s ironic. I did an interim school administration job and finished at Christmas. If I was still there I would have had the shot two weeks ago.

Dad has an appointment next week at the Fairgrounds.

He has to show the email with the barcode in order to get in. I don't think they allow walk-ins.

We drove my mom down to Binghamton to get vaccinated a couple days ago. The earliest she could have gotten a appointment in Syracuse was March. Didn’t want to wait, and I wasn’t successful in daily searches of the NYS site in finding an opening.

My MIL has twice now found an open appointment, and by the time she finished filling out the form the opening was gone.

Last edited:
Read an article today saying many scientists now think >50% of infections are transmitted by people without symptoms, and the CDC estimates that 40-45% of those infected never develop symptoms.

That along with the new more contagious strains being identified, and reported aerosols hanging in the air traveling more than 6', keeps me worried about my family.

Has been hard to get my spouse to understand "everybody feels fine" doesn't = "no precautions necessary, let's all have a family dinner with our elderly relative"!

We're all fortunate to have vaccines available so fast.
Sound wisdom.

We have a friend who works in a State mental hospital. She got covid but had no symptoms, brought it home and it almost killed her husband.
I am retired after 35 years working in inpt. psych ward. I cant imagine what its like with covid .. scary .. wish your friend well

I am 70 rural single and retired . I only go to store and doctor .. get takeout food .. though did dine outside when weather was good . two weeks ago I had an opportunity to call and get one of last shots available at time if I drove to auburn . I passed on it as I dont think I have much exposure risk and others need it more . But .. now I have no idea when I can get one .. Madison county has nothing for months at the moment . But Im careful and not too worried .. stay safe yall

Sound wisdom.

Exactly THIS.

Our employee had Covid, never had a single symptom, and only got retested (after TWO negatives) because other people she had been around started popping positive.

Had she not gotten that 3rd test (12 days after exposure, results came in on day 14), she likely never would have known she had it.

But - she was smart.
She thought she may have been exposed, so even in spite of the negative tests still wore a mask in her house, and even had a small TDay gathering w her mom and MIL, and nobody else was infected because she was masked, kept social distance, washed her hands frequently, etc.

How many people would have been that diligent?

I’d wager very few, and nearly zero of a certain political persuasion. :confused:

She is now regularly donating blood plasma to try to help others.

I’ll be 64 in a couple of weeks and wonder how long it will be before I can get the vaccine? It’s ironic. I did an interim school administration job and finished at Christmas. If I was still there I would have had the shot two weeks ago.

I suspect you still qualify as K-12. Just grab a few pay stubs and appointment letters, to the extent you have them. In the end, some people will be concerned that you jumped in line, but the ultimate goal here is to get as many people vacccinated as soon as possible. You have a good faith claim that you are in the priority group. Just my two cents.

Has anyone here had the first Moderna vaccine with the county(Onondaga) and waiting to hear back from the county on the second? They said they will contact us within a week before our scheduled shot. I'm not quite there yet, but my co-worker is due in six days for shot two and hasn't been emailed or called yet. Their website says, and I was told, that they would contact us directly. Just starting to get a little antsy. Thanks.

Read an article today saying many scientists now think >50% of infections are transmitted by people without symptoms, and the CDC estimates that 40-45% of those infected never develop symptoms.

That along with the new more contagious strains being identified, and reported aerosols hanging in the air traveling more than 6', keeps me worried about my family.

Has been hard to get my spouse to understand "everybody feels fine" doesn't = "no precautions necessary, let's all have a family dinner with our elderly relative"!

We're all fortunate to have vaccines available so fast.
I have had a bunch of patients that got it from someone that was either never symptomatic or became symptomatic shortly after having contact with my patient.

Just chiming in...
I've had both of my vaccinations (Pfizer) and had a bad headache after the second vaccine. Fatigue and arm soreness (shocking, huh?) present but mild.
Two of my physician partners had significant fevers (>102 F) and fatigue the following day, but these resolved fairly quickly and they felt fine the following day. Most everyone else in our clinic had mild symptoms or nothing. Two other clinical support staff missed work the following day as well (generalized aches, fatigue and low grade fever) but all were back the following day.
Thank you everyone for doing their part!

I'd even let you give me the shot, my friend! Would have loved to have gotten the vaccine before students returned. Oh well!

I have had a bunch of patients that got it from someone that was either never symptomatic or became symptomatic shortly after having contact with my patient.
This is the worst part about this virus - that fact that it can spread from people that don't know they are infected, and also for quite some time during that stretch.

My 84 year old mother gets hers next week. She is pretty psyched. My younger sister (yes the one you know SU in Hershey) just got her second shot a couple of hours ago. She works for Hospice in Cuse so she's eligible. Unfortunately teachers in NJ aren't in the first couple of groups like they are in neighboring states PA and NY. I can't wait to get mine. Currently the talk from our governor is 4 million people in the state are eligible, but they only get 100,000 vaccines a week to distribute. I'm sure that even when I'm finally eligible I'll be waiting a while to get an appointment.

the new openings came and went pretty fast today around the area. less than 5 min before they were all booked up.

Has anyone here had the first Moderna vaccine with the county(Onondaga) and waiting to hear back from the county on the second? They said they will contact us within a week before our scheduled shot. I'm not quite there yet, but my co-worker is due in six days for shot two and hasn't been emailed or called yet. Their website says, and I was told, that they would contact us directly. Just starting to get a little antsy. Thanks.
Not in Onondaga, but having same issue in my county (prefer not to say where).
First shot was 9 mins from house; we got a second appointment, 45+ mins from our house, and then found a private pharmacy which is administering only one shot per 30 minute slot (administer > watch/observe for adverse side-effects).
County has been useless - system crashed, no appts, and most (50%+) people scrambling to get second dose within 4 weeks (Moderna is 4; Pfizer is 3).

i know a couple people who got an email with their appointment day/time 3 days prior to that appointment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom