OT: vaccine | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

OT: vaccine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assume you can't get Moderna, then Pfizer (or vice versa), correct?

Pfizer's vaccine had those 23 deaths in Norway. That made me kind of uncomfortable. I would prefer to get the Moderna, if possible, but do they really show you the box or the bottle? How do you really know? I've been pretty sick these last few winters. I am not looking to mess around with a riskier vaccine.

I only just learned that there are 2 pneumonia vaccines. I'm thinking about looking into those, and I'm a guy who never gets a flu shot.

I assume you can't get Moderna, then Pfizer (or vice versa), correct?
When you get your first dose they will tell you which one you got so there isn't a mix-up at the second dose. I don't know if it is like this everywhere, but they gave me a card at my first dose with the date I recieved it and when I was supposed to get my second. When I went back for the second, I had to bring that card and they marked that I recieved it.

My dad, 83, gets his 1st today, through the VA. Conservative, never contributes to candidates. He gets his for having been in the Army.

My mom (same politics) hasn’t been able to get one locally yet, but has a fall back in Potsdam on 2/23.

My wife ( very liberal, never contributes to candidates) gets her 2nd today. She’s gotten hers because she’s an RN. (They don’t differentiate for actual job duties, because she has never worked in a hospital.)

As an aside, but still a bit on topic (who gets the vaccine 1st), her employer, St. Joe’/Trinity Health had an interesting position that flies in the face of conventional vaccination distribution protocol.

St. Joe’s was mandating it’s RN staff (lots of non-hospitals RNs) to work in the hospital. They sent an email that if summoned, no one would be excused, even if they had underlying health issues themselves or someone in their household had health issues. If you refused to come in when called, for any reason, you would be fired, for cause, meaning no unemployment (potentially, given the relaxed rules under Covid.)
Their rationale was that the hospital is the safest place they could be, including at home, because of all of the protective equipment and protocols.

Last edited:
Getting my 1st shot today at 10:30. A little nervous about it.

Scheduled for 5:50 this afternoon. Nervous for different reasons. I’m a resident of NY but substitute teach at a school in NJ. Realized filling out the authorization form this morning that they want proof of NYS employment so not even sure they will take me since I work out of state. I’m going to try anyway. Fingers crossed

My dad, 83, gets his 1st today, through the VA. Conservative, never contributes to candidates. He gets his for having been in the Army.

My mom (same politics) hasn’t been able to get one locally yet, but has a fall back in Potsdam on 2/23.

My wife ( very liberal, never contributes to candidates) gets her 2nd today. She’s gotten hers because she’s an RN. (They don’t differentiate for actual job duties, because she has never worked in a hospital.)

As an aside, but still a bit on topic (who gets the vaccine 1st), her employer, St. Joe’/Trinity Health had an interesting position that flies in the face of conventional vaccination distribution protocol.

St. Joe’s was mandating it’s RN staff (lots of non-hospitals RNs) to work in the hospital. They sent an email that if summoned, no one would be excused, even if they had underlying health issues themselves or someone in their household had health issues. If you refused to come in when called, for any reason, you would be fired, for cause, meaning no unemployment (potentially, given the relaxed rules under Covid.)
Their rationale was that the hospital is the safest place they could be, including at home, because of all of the protective equipment and protocols.

I'm a fiscally conservative, socially liberal single 59 year old man with a pissy attitude and a dark soul.

My parents were Eisenhower Republicans, voted for Kennedy, then died. I mention this only if it moves me up on the list.

When will I be able to get my shot?

Last edited:
I'm a fiscally conservative, socially liberal single 59 year old man with a pissy attitude and a dark soul.

My parents were Eisenhower Republicans, voted for Kennedy, then died. I mention this only if it moves me up on the list.

When will I be able to get my shot?
Here is a good time table map timeline for the Covid vaccine

50852189-7ABA-442F-A521-A3C01BD758EE.jpeg

J&J just released a clinical study, 66% effective. People were hoping for 70-80%, but looks good enough for Scott Gottlieb (former FDA, no relation to Doug). My take is this could fill the supply gap from PFE/MRNA. Which is important because people need to be vaccinated before it mutates again. As it mutates, the vaccines will become less useful and need to be recalibrated

J&J just released a clinical study, 66% effective. People were hoping for 70-80%, but looks good enough for Scott Gottlieb (former FDA, no relation to Doug). My take is this could fill the supply gap from PFE/MRNA. Which is important because people need to be vaccinated before it mutates again. As it mutates, the vaccines will become less useful and need to be recalibrated
Supposedly J&J is working on / analyzing if effectiveness goes up with a 2nd dose.

Am I understanding some of the comments here? In the United States when you try to book an appointment for the vaccine you are required to disclose your political affiliations? Hope I am wrong as that is ridiculous. JMHO from a foreigner.

Am I understanding some of the comments here? In the United States when you try to book an appointment for the vaccine you are required to disclose your political affiliations? Hope I am wrong as that is ridiculous. JMHO from a foreigner.
Without actually knowing this, I'm going to go ahead and confidently say- No. That is insane.

Posts like this are why I hate fake news.
No sir, we had a troll early in the thread who wanted to try and argue politicial affiliation and social status mattered when trying to get the vaccine. Which creates fake news and it echoes where it shouldn’t.

In the USA this isn’t true. The said poster was just trying to bring politics into a thread where there was none.

Here in the USA each state has their own guidelines for distribution of the vaccine. The federal government didn’t have guidelines which has caused confusion and delays in some states where others it has gone more smoothly.

Front line health care workers, doctors were the first to get the vaccines.
Now it’s mainly senior citizens and others with underlying health problems. As well as military veterans.
Some states are going 65+ and others different.

However political affiliation is not a criteria one iota.

That is not correct at all. That's just a stupid theory that originated from Mr Runner's ramblings that has no basis in fact.

No. Those are sarcastic comments in reply to a poster that claimed certian politcal and economic demographics were receiving preferential treatment.

Scheduled for 5:50 this afternoon. Nervous for different reasons. I’m a resident of NY but substitute teach at a school in NJ. Realized filling out the authorization form this morning that they want proof of NYS employment so not even sure they will take me since I work out of state. I’m going to try anyway. Fingers crossed

Got my first dose! Didn’t ask for employment info at all. Checked my confirmation and flashed them a NYS Driver’s License and all good.

If it's going to turn into a political discussion let's not.
Sorry, I was just looking to understand a statement that made little sense to me within the context of this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom