OT: Your worst job ever... | Syracusefan.com

OT: Your worst job ever...

cto

Administrator
It's so slow around here that I thought I'd start a totally worthless thread: Your worst job ever.

Mine was a babysitting job during the summer I was 14 years old... taking care of four little girls under the age of five for an entire week. Their father was in a near-fatal car crash 150 miles away, and their mother decided to be with him, rather than with their four daughters ... who were 5, 3, 18 months and six weeks old. She asked me to babysit the day after the accident, without telling me she would be gone for a week.

There was no cable tv, no internet, no video games, no dvds, no VCRs and no kid programs on the small black and white TV. So all I did all day, every day, was try to play with the two older kids ... and feed and change the two younger ones. (There was also no way to get in touch with her, but fortunately I did not have to). And they all cried most of the time because they missed their mother, and I couldn't tell them when she was coming home.

There was no store within two miles, and I obviously did not drive. Fortunately my mother lived a few miles away... so she did my grocery shopping, as best as I could figure out what it was. (Actually, the two older girls and I lived on cold cereal, bananas, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, milk and store-bought baked goods for a week because I didn't know how to make anything else). My mother kept telling me this woman was insane to leave me with the four kids, especially one that was only six weeks old, given that I had never cared for an newborn and literally had no clue as to how to do it (aside from feeding her formula and changing her diapers -- which were real cloth diapers with safety pins and not Pampers). At one point, my mother offered to spend the night with us, but I told her: "No, this is my job, and I'm going to do it."

In retrospect, it is amazing that all four girls survived... with none of them scarred by the experience.

When the girls' mother finally came home, she decided to pay me 50 cents an hour for the time she deemed the kids were awake .. which she decided was 12 hours a day for seven days. I therefore earned the munificent sum of $42 for what was essentially 175 hours of taking care of her four kids.

And PS: she didn't reimburse me (or my mother) for the groceries.

Now those kids would be taken away from the parents. You don't leave 4 kids with a 14 year old for a week under any circumstances. I am sure you were the best 14 year old for the job. And in this day and age, you would have sued for more pay!!!!

Worked in Honolulu (OK - the Hawaii aspect was good) for a big landlord. Would clean out apartments in between tenants. Went into this one apartment which was vacant because the dude died hang gliding. Anyway, the place was so filthy, with every single step I'd take, I would step on about 10 dead and alive cockroaches. That is not an exaggeration. Ten cockroaches per step. Every step.

Awake overnight for a developmentally disabled house during my first bout in college. Beside the sleepless nights and homework, I dealt with an eerie mansion full of sleep walking developmentally disabled. Just gets to you after a while.

I put in my notice the following day for a smaller manager position when I was dive bombed by batzilla who infiltrated the managers room. She alerted me to a scratching noise in the room, and when I opened the door, a bat with a foot and a half wing span swooped me, which made me hit the deck.

I opened all the doors and put the manager in the kitchen. I couldn't find the bat after that. They also didn't and still don't pay managers during sleeping hours in the house despite their being forced to sleep there.

ABC - Always Be Closing...

Ok. So when I was in Cincinnati I was playing "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" on the stoop one day and this fine gentleman with ass-length dreads was walking his pit. He liked hearing it and we chatted a bit and made some music together...

So a couple weeks later he asks if I have done any demo/rehab construction work because his mother-in-law owned a house in Berea, KY that was in some, ahem, disrepair and he needed some help making it habitable. At the time my friend was visiting/crashing on my couch indefinitely with no return plan from Hagerstown, MD, I wasn't working and cash money sounded like a good idea. Al (the ass-length dreadlocked guy) said his mother-in-law had some money and it could be like a 4-month gig.

I packed an overnight bag and got in his Jeep with his wife and mother-in-law and my buddy Dustin and headed to Berea.

I found out on the way down that the mother-in-law was removed from the house and it had been condemned. The mother had lived in her Ford Taurus for the last THREE YEARS!!! It was a simple ranch. There was only a small path in it. It was virtually impassable because it was full and I mean FULL of garbage and newspapers and bags and bags of brand new with the tag on clothes and kids toys covered in black mold. We went into this place and did demo in full Tyvec suits and respirators in mid-July through August. Hell itself cannot be hotter. This coming from a guy who has also stirred tar in Florida for flat-top roofing.

The lady had basically lost it when her husband died and bought things on the TV. Like gold stamps from the Franklin Mint and clothes she never wore but we did find some valuable things. Like an 8-round .22 revolver, silver coins, ass-tons of gold jewelry and collectors plates, but in no way was the compensation worth the 20 pounds of sweat I must have exuded daily. Plus, the smell. Oh my God the smell. Combination of death (several creatures had died in the house) hot garbage and black mold. It took us until September to get all the crap out working from 7am to 7pm.

She was a Kentucky fan, and I did smash every single 1996 Champions thing I found, but still.

Worst.

Job.

Ever.

Awesome story. Have also applied the tar for flat top roofs (Hawaii). Brutal.

Ok. So when I was in Cincinnati I was playing "Bad Bad Leroy Brown" on the stoop one day and this fine gentleman with ass-length dreads was walking his pit. He liked hearing it and we chatted a bit and made some music together...

So a couple weeks later he asks if I have done any demo/rehab construction work because his mother-in-law owned a house in Berea, KY that was in some, ahem, disrepair and he needed some help making it habitable. At the time my friend was visiting/crashing on my couch indefinitely with no return plan from Hagerstown, MD, I wasn't working and cash money sounded like a good idea. Al (the ass-length dreadlocked guy) said his mother-in-law had some money and it could be like a 4-month gig.

I packed an overnight bag and got in his Jeep with his wife and mother-in-law and my buddy Dustin and headed to Berea.

I found out on the way down that the mother-in-law was removed from the house and it had been condemned. The mother had lived in her Ford Taurus for the last THREE YEARS!!! It was a simple ranch. There was only a small path in it. It was virtually impassable because it was full and I mean FULL of garbage and newspapers and bags and bags of brand new with the tag on clothes and kids toys covered in black mold. We went into this place and did demo in full Tyvec suits and respirators in mid-July through August. Hell itself cannot be hotter. This coming from a guy who has also stirred tar in Florida for flat-top roofing.

Now where it was cool is that we kept finding valuable things. Like an 8-round .22 revolver, silver coins, ass-tons of gold jewelry and the like, but in no way was the compensation worth the 20 pounds of sweat I must have exuded daily. Plus, the smell. Oh my God the smell. Combination of death (several creatures had died in the house) hot garbage and black mold.

She was a Kentucky fan, and I did smash every single 1996 Champions thing I found, but still.

Worst.

Job.

Ever.

My worst was my first. When I was eleven years old I took on a paper route for about 5 months in Clifton Park. November through March I had to get up at about 4am and deliver about 80 papers on my bike, 3 times a week. I was a scrawny kid and had to make three trips to get all 80 delivered. Even worse, I was horribly shy and never bothered to collect dues or tips. So in reality I froze my ass off and had to pay (truly my parents paid) to even have the miserable job.

I was lucky enough to have awesome jobs my whole life... From mowing lawns for the lake houses, working at my buddy's carwash, pouring wine at Glenora winery, bar tending at Seneca Harbor, 6 years in the army, to being the the supervisor at a finance office on base. The only thing I can think of, I was dating my wife, with plans of getting married on the lake in the fall.. In December I came up on orders to Alaska. "If we don't get married in the next week. You can't come with me"... So we did, and I had to move off base. I had this LT, that I deployed with, he got sent home after a few months for trying to shoot my commander (long story)... Well, he owed alot of rentals, and instead of getting into a 5 month lease, I could live with him and work on his houses for him. Well, ths was an Asian guy, 2 years out of West Point, no clue how to do a house, I had done a little work with my dad, I had no clue. We had my 17 year old little brother come up to help. LT had a 3 story house, the first floor had to be jacked up a foot. I have video that would make you cringe. I thought my brother was gonna die a hundred times. When I'm sober tomorrow, maybe I'll explain more. Did prolly 1000 hours of work for this guy, for free. He needed $4000 to close on a house. I was selling my motorcycle before I left NY for Alaska, told him he could borrow it, if I sold the bike in time. Bike didn't sell in time, LT still won't talk to me to this day. Calls me a failure. I tackled him, saved him from shooting our commander, held him on the ground until MPs came. I'm the failure? I'm drunk, bitter. Even tho that wasent really a job, worst I ever had

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21373181487.128905.jpg

^^ my lil brother, trying to jack this house up

Roofer. The problem is I am afraid of heights. On my first job it took me 1/2 hour to get from the roof to the first step of the ladder to get down. It was that moment I decided to go to college.

It's so slow around here that I thought I'd start another totally worthless thread: Your worst job ever.

Mine was a babysitting job during the summer I was 14 years old... taking care of four little girls under the age of five for an entire week. Their father was in a near-fatal car crash 150 miles away, and their mother decided to be with him, rather than with their four daughters ... who were 5, 3, 18 months and six weeks old. She asked me to babysit the day after the accident, without telling me she would be gone for a week.

There was no cable tv, no internet, no video games, no dvds, and no kid programs on TV. So all I did all day, every day, was try to play with the two older kids ... and feed and change the two younger ones. (There was also no way to get in touch with her, but fortunately I did not have to). And they all cried most of the time because they missed their mother and didn't know when she was coming home.

There was no store within two miles, and I obviously did not drive. Fortunately my mother lived a few miles away... so she did my grocery shopping, as best as I could figure out what it was. She also kept telling me this woman was insane to leave me with the four kids.

When the mother came home, she decided to pay me 50 cents an hour for the time she deemed I was awake .. which she decided was 12 hours a day for seven days. I therefore earned the munificent sum of $42 for what was essentially 175 hours of taking care of her four kids.

During my junior year of high school, I worked in the meat department of my local super market. Animal blood everywhere. I remember getting home and walking through the front door only to have the family dog rush over to lick my drenched boots. It would make me gag every time.

You have no idea what some people would ask the butchers for. Cow testicles? check. Eyeballs and hooves? Check. Check. We also had a guy who would routinely come in and ask for chicken crown...you know, that red plume on the top of the chicken's head.

P.S. Don't ever buy pre-seasoned meats at the grocery store. The seasoning is put on nearly expired meats to hide the greying of the protein. Also, when selecting meats from the shelf, reach for the ones in the back. The older product is pushed to the front every morning while the newer stuff is put in behind it.

When I got out of Army bootcamp I went straight to Kuwait after a month train up in Death Valley California. Being a private and the lowest ranking soul in our company I got all of the not so glamorous work details in addition to my normal duties. One of these glorious details was to burn crap. Every morning I would drag out 50 gallon drums that were cut in half out from under the bathroom stalls that we built. I would mix some gas in and light it up. I was instructed to stir it otherwise it wouldn’t burn up completely. The first time I did it I must have thrown up in my mouth a half-dozen times. By the end of the deployment I was chucking bug spray cans in there and blowing crap everywhere like a hoodlum. I was hardcore.

It's so slow around here that I thought I'd start another totally worthless thread: Your worst job ever.

There was no cable tv, no internet, no video games, no dvds, and no kid programs on TV. So all I did all day, every day, was try to play with the two older kids ... and feed and change the two younger ones. (There was also no way to get in touch with her, but fortunately I did not have to). And they all cried most of the time because they missed their mother and didn't know when she was coming home.

There was no store within two miles, and I obviously did not drive. Fortunately my mother lived a few miles away... so she did my grocery shopping, as best as I could figure out what it was. She also kept telling me this woman was insane to leave me with the four kids.

When the mother came home, she decided to pay me 50 cents an hour for the time she deemed I was awake .. which she decided was 12 hours a day for seven days. I therefore earned the munificent sum of $42 for what was essentially 175 hours of taking care of her four kids.

I cleaned drainage pits at Crucible Steel - not one summer during college, but two - because it was the 1970s, labor unions were strong and the money was great for the times. Filthy job that left me with little black dots in my pores until about a month after I had returned to school.

One summer I worked at Clinton's Ditch, a Pepsi manufacturing plant in Cicero, NY. My job the majority of the time was "line watch." Essentially, it involved standing in one spot all day watching upright empty cans go by single file on an assembly line. Every so often (maybe once every half hour) a can would be knocked over and it would clog the line. My responsibility was to poke it out with a wooden stick. That was literally the entire job. It was psychologically torturous, it actually felt like being in prison. I had to invent things to think about.

One summer I worked at Clinton's Ditch, a Pepsi manufacturing plant in Cicero, NY. My job the majority of the time was "line watch." Essentially, it involved standing in one spot all day watching upright empty cans go by single file on an assembly line. Every so often (maybe once every half hour) a can would be knocked over and it would clog the line. My responsibility was to poke it out with a wooden stick. That was literally the entire job. It was psychologically torturous, it actually felt like being in prison. I had to invent things to think about.

This reminds me of another job I had as a kid. I worked at a trap/skeet shooting club, sitting in the bunker, loading clay pigeons on the swinging arm of the machine that flung them out for shooters to shoot. Mindless doesn't begin to describe it. So every few traps, I'd poke a hole in the middle, just to see if it made much difference on the flight. (It did, and shortly some angry men with guns came down to ask me why I was loading broken pigeons on the machine and to stop doing it, because they were paying a lot of money to shoot these things.)

I cleaned drainage pits at Crucible Steel - not one summer during college, but two - because it was the 1970s, labor unions were strong and the money was great for the times. Filthy job that left me with little black dots in my pores until about a month after I had returned to school.

That reminds me of one of my friends, whose father worked at New Process Gear, and thus he was able to get him in for temporary summer work. The rest of us would be slaving away for $8-10 an hour, and my one friend would make just an enormous amount of money for an 18 year old (e.g. upwards of $40-50 an hour if working a weekend shift)... for completely unskilled labor. We were so jealous.

I would have to say when I was 14, I was hired by the school district to do janitorial work in the high school. I spent a lot of time scrapping gum off the underside of about every possible object, along with all the other not so nice work our underpaid custodians have to do on a daily basis.

When I got out of Army bootcamp I went straight to Kuwait after a month train up in Death Valley California. Being a private and the lowest ranking soul in our company I got all of the not so glamorous work details in addition to my normal duties. One of these glorious details was to burn crap. Every morning I would drag out 50 gallon drums that were cut in half out from under the bathroom stalls that we built. I would mix some gas in and light it up. I was instructed to stir it otherwise it wouldn’t burn up completely. The first time I did it I must have thrown up in my mouth a half-dozen times. By the end of the deployment I was chucking bug spray cans in there and blowing crap everywhere like a hoodlum. I was hardcore.

I was in the Marine Corps and had to assign people to do this job. Not my worst job, but definitely one of the worst things I had to do to another person!!!!!

I was on scholarship at Manlius Pebble Hill School. In return for the scholarship, we had to do some work around the school. I was assigned to the gym and had to clean out the bathrooms in the locker rooms. It was then that I found out just how disgusting teenage boys can be (yes, you all know who you are Oh Lord).

Burning stuff. The worst things any human will ever have to do

The worst part about it was the thought of all my friend enjoying their freshmen year of college while I did it. They're getting hammered every night and chasing chicks full time while I guess what everyone ate for dinner the night before.

Like all the other craziness you're subjected to in the military, you adapt and drive on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom