Overtime Elite Basketball League | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Overtime Elite Basketball League

Oelvertime has a pretty large following on social media as well and with those type of investors I'd imagine money and publicity won't be a problem.
*Elvirofcinatime
DwAfATFWkAEWCRN.jpg

I like this. Let the pros be pros and let college be amateurs.

well much of the Jr hockey model works because families host kids and there is some local pride for the team to watch..

The kids following these players are fans of the teams they are trying to get to. If they are not going to a college why will they have fans? since no one has an idea where they will end up.

it ends up like Ind. baseball at that point but with a much higher price pt.

Why would this board want watch any random group of talented players play if they have no SU connection?

So what happens to the kids who are pulled in by the quick money when the league goes belly up after the first year? Does the $100k go into a trust as soon as they sign so that promise of college tuition is protected somewhat? Seems like a big rist, but to some of these kids there isn;t much difference between $100k and $100MM

well much of the Jr hockey model works because families host kids and there is some local pride for the team to watch..

The kids following these players are fans of the teams they are trying to get to. If they are not going to a college why will they have fans? since no one has an idea where they will end up.

it ends up like Ind. baseball at that point but with a much higher price pt.

Why would this board want watch any random group of talented players play if they have no SU connection?

Interesting points. College may be the last dying hill of real fans. At the pro level, the game continues to drift more towards being about the players more than the team. Add in Fantasy leagues and how gaming structures things and the hardcore fan is a fan of players and the sport and then finds a team to root for. With all that said its not on the level where ppl would gravitate to watching such a league. In a decade maybe a different story but I don't think they can get the revenue here unless its coming from the NBA or NCAA in some form.

they cant even make MLB minor league work and really make money and those kids make next to nothing

they cant even make MLB minor league work and really make money and those kids make next to nothing
It worked for a very long time but. times have changed and Covid exacerbated the problem.
The future of sports viewership is going to be very interesting as the population ages. The younger generations seem less interested in watching sporting events that last very long (i.e. baseball and football) and more interested in e-games and shorter duration sports. They also seem to be less willing to pay to watch sports.
The future of basketball may be like playground ball, where the first team to 21 points wins.

It worked for a very long time but. times have changed and Covid exacerbated the problem.
The future of sports viewership is going to be very interesting as the population ages. The younger generations seem less interested in watching sporting events that last very long (i.e. baseball and football) and more interested in e-games and shorter duration sports. They also seem to be less willing to pay to watch sports.
The future of basketball may be like playground ball, where the first team to 21 points wins.
but again in MLB the local towns made it work. Kids lived with families, got odd jobs and they were gods with the locals.. MLB put little money into it.

Or it could fail miserably, and the NCAA will gain more leverage, and simply double-down on some of their antiquated positions.
Eh, this thing could completely derail and I'm not sure it helps solidify anything the NCAA does.

I dont have a problem with 16-18 year olds getting paid to play ball, but where will the players come from? Where will the fans come from? Where will the money come from? Who's going to care?

Is this modeled after Canadian Junior Hockey? I dont really know anything about the revenue system there, whether players get paid etc. I also assume the "fandom" is culturally engrained/baked-in at this point.

A better model could be something more akin to the academy systems you see for soccer in Europe, or the eventually developing a true "farm league" like MLB and NHL have. I actually thought that's what the NBA was striving for with the G League?
It's basically an attempt to get in a step before the G League, before the NBA decides they want to take it on.

I think it's great.

I see this as kind of a ponzi scheme. Players must sign with one of their agents. Included in the contract is when they go pro they have to donate so much money back. The odds of a top 30 kid not going pro are slim.

I'm curious what "HS academic classes included" means. I'm assuming they don't have to academic qualify and that classes are optional.

GED equivalent. They can't go to college once they've taken any money.

GED equivalent. They can't go to college once they've taken any money.
They can go to college. They just can't attend on a basketball scholarship... which may be the only way they could attend college (financially) in the first place.

They can go to college. They just can't attend on a basketball scholarship... which may be the only way they could attend college (financially) in the first place.

You knew what I meant. They'd be ineligible to play since they took money.

You knew what I meant. They'd be ineligible to play since they took money.
I did know what you meant. I'm just pointing out that, in my opinion, this could take some opportunities away from some people. If a 16-year-old takes the money and goes this route and after a year it doesn't pan out for them they'd miss the chance at getting a degree on scholarship. And maybe they couldn't attend otherwise. Even top 30 kids sometimes get to school, stay four 4 years, get a degree, and never get an NBA look.

Not just finamcially. There are kids attending college on scholarship that wouldn't be admitted if it wasn't for their sport.

If this weeds out the kids who come to college with a disdain for education then it will serve a purpose.
I just don't know who's going to pay to watch a league of teenage boys with a two-year turnover. I'll save my passion for watching real student athletes at SU.

Is there any child labor concern with 16 year olds?

This is a great idea though. It allows agents to prey upon kids (as young as what 13 or 14 for top prospects who they’ll entice with $100k) to exploit their future earnings while at the same time appearing to be all in their best interests.

Why negotiate with a college educated 23 year old when you can negotiate with a 15 year old HS dropout?

If this weeds out the kids who come to college with a disdain for education then it will serve a purpose.
I just don't know who's going to pay to watch a league of teenage boys with a two-year turnover. I'll save my passion for watching real student athletes at SU.
Yeah, listen, here's the thing - MTV puts Ridiculous on for like 20 out of 24 hours of programming a day.

There's an audience for anything.

Yeah, listen, here's the thing - MTV puts Ridiculous on for like 20 out of 24 hours of programming a day.

There's an audience for anything.
Just a place holder for The Challenge fans like me!
the challenge GIF

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom