Overtime Elite Basketball League | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Overtime Elite Basketball League

I don't see this having staying power. Nobody watches the G League. Nor minor league baseball. Unless they somehow get affiliated directly with the NBA, the money won't be there IMO. The reason people like college sports, for the most part, is because almost every market, big or small, has a team. And people love to root for the home team.

Scouts are paying attention though. Guys are getting opportunities from the G league. If you are getting paid well, and can score some marketing and ad deals one or two years or even 3 years to then make the NBA vs being a student athlete..

Scouts are paying attention though. Guys are getting opportunities from the G league. If you are getting paid well, and can score some marketing and ad deals one or two years or even 3 years to then make the NBA vs being a student athlete..
I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for the athletes, it 100% makes sense for the athletes, but from a financial standpoint, I don't see how the league will be able to operate and give guys healthy contracts without some sort of affiliation from the NBA.

They can sign, but it's not binding. No state allows a party to force a minor to comply with a contract.
So a parent or guardian doesn’t need to co-sign so that somebody’s ’on the hook’? Why have a child sign an unenforceable contract, that I’m assuming, only the ‘employer’ has to comply with? I am having trouble following the logic with having kids enter into contracts. (I often suffer from those duh feelings- lol).

I'm not saying it doesn't make sense for the athletes, it 100% makes sense for the athletes, but from a financial standpoint, I don't see how the league will be able to operate and give guys healthy contracts without some sort of affiliation from the NBA.
I assume the league owners will profit from other endeavors associated with the players they sign. Representation, marketing, NFTs, etc.

So a parent or guardian doesn’t need to co-sign so that somebody’s ’on the hook’? Why have a child sign an unenforceable contract, that I’m assuming, only the ‘employer’ has to comply with? I am having trouble following the logic with having kids enter into contracts. (I often suffer from those duh feelings- lol).
If they take dime one, they are ineligible for HS and college ball. Where else are they going?

The question I was answering was if they could sign a contract with a 16-year old. Sure they can, but the contract is voidable by the minor in all states, that I'm aware. Now, will they? Absolutely not. This org has 10's of millions behind it. I'm sure the orgs lawyers know better.

The parent/guardian can sign for them. Whether it’s binding after 18, IDK

I have no problem with the league. These kids know what they want to pursue as a career so let them train for it. That option should be available for all fields, not just sports. That being said, the college tuition thing seems kinda worthless. If these kids fail to make the NBA or play in Europe, how are they going back to school? They are going to be hitting the books hard enough to get into college based on academics alone? I can't see many of these 16 year olds even picking up a book.

i think that’s a pretty cruddy assumption. Just because these kids would rather try to make some money playing a game they love, doesn’t mean they aren’t capable of getting a degree. I feel it just means they are more interested in getting paid to play a game, than getting a degree at the moment. Once that dream dies, they’ll have $100k worth of tuition and hopefully be a bit more mature.

i think that’s a pretty cruddy assumption. Just because these kids would rather try to make some money playing a game they love, doesn’t mean they aren’t capable of getting a degree. I feel it just means they are more interested in getting paid to play a game, than getting a degree at the moment. Once that dream dies, they’ll have $100k worth of tuition and hopefully be a bit more mature.
Sure, a lot of these kids can go to school after they're done playing and get a degree. But I think we all know that there are also a significant number of kids that wouldn't be accepted into the schools they do without the sports component. And getting the scholly was the carrot necessary to keep some kids on track academically. It'll work out great for some guys. For others that overestimate themselves athletically and slack academically, they'll find themselves behind the eight ball. We shouldn't pretend there's no aspect of gamble to this decision for some guys.

Sure, a lot of these kids can go to school after they're done playing and get a degree. But I think we all know that there are also a significant number of kids that wouldn't be accepted into the schools they do without the sports component. And getting the scholly was the carrot necessary to keep some kids on track academically. It'll work out great for some guys. For others that overestimate themselves athletically and slack academically, they'll find themselves behind the eight ball. We shouldn't pretend there's no aspect of gamble to this decision for some guys.

I hear ya

Probably missed a lot of prior convo but wanted to say. Agree with points from most everyone. What I always forget is these are kids going to school. My maturity level at that age was nonexistent. Know that the NFL guys leave early. It’s just kind of amazing that a student athlete can fit all of that in and get a degree. No chance that I could do the same.
EDIT - meant this for the football board. Obviously.

This situation will give more "Uncle Dennis" types the opportunity to rip kids off.

I think in order for it to work, they need to resist the urge to get to big. Limit it to only the elite athletes. From there, hopefully they can create a strong brand as a travelling team that can pick up major endorsements. If they could play exhibition games against NBA teams, it would be ideal. But I'm not sure the NBA would want to go that route if they think it will hurt the G-League.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom