Overtime Elite Basketball League | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Overtime Elite Basketball League

Yeah, listen, here's the thing - MTV puts Ridiculous on for like 20 out of 24 hours of programming a day.

There's an audience for anything.
Yeah, but that's funny and likely has really low overhead. I have a hard time believing the basketball product will be all that watchable. Having said that, I'm for it.

Yeah, but that's funny and likely has really low overhead. I have a hard time believing the basketball product will be all that watchable. Having said that, I'm for it.
It's not a perfect comparison, for sure.

My bigger point is that audience for broadcasting may not be an issue the way some are thinking.

It’s not going to work because college athletics has fanbases loyal to their teams.

Fans aren’t going to watch this.
I wish the kids well but they just be allowed to get paid to make money while in college.

This league is a big waste of money.
Who is going to watch this?
How will this make money?

It’s not going to work because college athletics has fanbases loyal to their teams.

I wish the kids well but they just be allowed to get paid to make money while in college.

I think there will be a market for it- 13 to 20 year old males. Whether or not they (or their parents) can and will pay for it, remains to be seen.

agreed. ESPN keeps showing high school games (basketball and football) but they feel like time fillers (i.e. if i have the tv on and there is nothing else to watch, or happen to stumble on one of the games). it is hard to watch it on a consistent basis

I think there will be a market for it- 13 to 20 year old males. Whether or not they (or their parents) can and will pay for it, remains to be seen.
That age group doesn’t have disposable income and what investment will they have in their teams.

I like kids getting paid but this won’t work. G league elite is a better option.

Not just finamcially. There are kids attending college on scholarship that wouldn't be admitted if it wasn't for their sport.
Or their familial predecessors, or their other talents.

I would guess this is going hard on some adjacencies.

I'm guessing lots of PE courses
Don't be shocked if its classes in life skills. These kids could come out more mature and further advanced than a kid who wastes a year on a college campus not learning a thing. Hopefully they bring in guest speakers who resonate with these kids. I see a lot of positives. Keep them out of trouble.

Well it mentions KD and Carmelo as investors and I bet other players are involved. I imagine the plan is to get TV contracts as well to pay for it too
Good luck with that. What is the attraction to draw viewers? It isn't really pro basketball. If you want that, you watch the NBA. And people watch young people when they are playing for the school you like to follow. This will fail. No pro league can make it without real tv money.

Good luck with that. What is the attraction to draw viewers? It isn't really pro basketball. If you want that, you watch the NBA. And people watch young people when they are playing for the school you like to follow. This will fail. No pro league can make it without real tv money.
People watch The Basketball Tournament.
.:shrugs:

Not saying it will work because I think the top talent will end up in the G league anyways but there was lots of interest in watching kids like zion/lamelo/bronny/williams/etc. Some of these kids have huge followings already. Not sure if that would translate to viewers and $.

With no major broadcast network for the G League it’s hard to believe there will be much coverage for this endeavor.

I don't know if there's enough Kevin Garnetts, Kobe Bryants, & Lebron James' to make this a viable venture. If however a major 16-18 yr old star emerges, people will probably be interested enough to tune in.
What this will do however, is side-step AAU & NCAA hypocrisy, and get players the money they deserve.
Plus we can't underestimate the cred that comes w/ high-caliber NBA players being involved. Melo, KD, even Baron Davis and Oladipo, give the new league a cachet that might just help it take off.

Last edited:
This could totally change the landscape of college basketball, especially for programs that perennially acquire five star players. How many would turn down this lucrative offer?

How many kids will go that route? Which college teams will it hurt most? Will it destroy college basketball?
Sources: Ollie to coach new top prospect venture
Nope. I always love the idea that losing some 5-star prima donnas that few people get to watch on a night-to-night basis will "destroy college basketball". Was college basketball "destroyed" this year because Kentucky, Duke, and UNC had teams that weren't as good as they used to be? Maybe for their fans, but not for many others. I think the exact opposite. College basketball will be more competitive when they're gone. Then again, to me the most important name is the one on the front of the jersey, not the one on the back.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom