Pay that man his money. | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Pay that man his money.

And you can come on, and tell us what a board of freaking Syracuse football fans can and can’t talk about.
I am looking forward it too so I know what I can and can’t talk about.
Thanks.

Your last line is the contentious point, though. I don't understand "you give him a new deal" absolutism. We have no insight into the conversations our AD and head coach have been having. We don't even know the terms of Dino's contract.

I think we all agree that Babers is making substantial progress and that, barring some kind of scandal or catastrophic set of circumstances, we'd like to see him coach SU for the foreseeable future.

Where there is disagreement is regarding the urgent -- hell, almost FRANTIC -- pleading for SU to extend him now.

NOW.

Like Veruca Salt throwing a tantrum.

And I've seen this dynamic play out here 100 times. The demanding begins and then it snowballs into "SU never does anything!!1!1!! Why aren't they *doing* things?!?!" within weeks, if not days.

Personally, all I'm suggesting in this thread (and others like it) is that no one knows the basics of Babers' contract, no one seems to know exactly how-or-if the staff is compensated relative to our peers, and no one knows what talks have transpired within the administration. People should discuss, it's fun, that's why we're here. But the frantic-ness is odd to me.

You responded to my post and want me to ignore it?

You're killing it today. Don't stop being you.
If you want to take a shot then I don’t care and will just say ignore me.
My second post you responded to was in reference to the post above my post.

My points overall aren’t hard to decipher.

To the rest of your point glad I am entertaining you with what you think are clown posts I don’t care.

Your opinion it’s frantic.
Other people don’t see it that way.

The fear of losing the guy is clearly the motivation to get the deal done. When Dino Babers is getting discussed on College Football Live and generating buzz and has spent 2 years at his last 2 schools it’s not hard to see why fans would want him locked up.

And you can come on, and tell us what a board of freaking Syracuse football fans can and can’t talk about.
I am looking forward it too so I know what I can and can’t talk about.
Thanks.

Dude, you started this whole current back and forth because you totally misinterpreted what Otto posted. But good for you, you got Franco to like that post.

Dude, you started this whole current back and forth because you totally misinterpreted what Otto posted. But good for you, you got Franco to like that post.
The context of that post was in reference to that poster poo-pooing all these Dino contract extension threads.
I guessing you don’t know that.
But congrats on coming back at me which you like to do.
Any word from temery on my request.

I used to be all on board with this theory. Most of the college stadiums are dumps by today's standards. They were built so long ago. But they have a charm to the fanbase and that tradition is more important than all else.

The only differences I see now are:

1. Our problem is that there have been so many conversations about renovation, or even a new stadium, that the snowball has started down the hill. I think now it has to get to the bottom as it just makes the current Dome situation look worse (including for recruits). Not to mention the roof thing.
2. Dino in particular is coming from a place where a new stadium helped raise the entire profile of the program, before a s e xual assault scandal tore it down.
3. Other schools are starting to modernize their caverns, so it's just going to be the next big thing, if it's not already.

I think we need to get this one resolved, and I really hope that happens soon.

100%. There is a sense of momentum that renovations can bring to the whole program, especially within the context of a on the field product being seen as on the rise.

And momentum is important in recruiting.

(I for one, could see a Dino led team contesting for the ACC championship in 2 years either in a renovated dome or with plans in place to do it the next year - The coverage would be glowing. This is sellable to recruits and parents/HS coaches too).

This is the trajectory they expected. They didn't sign a new coach to a long deal thinking he'd be coaching and recruiting like Shafer 20 games in. Improvement was what the school sought to buy with the contract.

No - that's what they hoped for. Now that it seems like he's delivering, it's not odd to think of a new deal. Plus, if you wait you risk that another school thinks he can do the same for them.

(Wildhack didn't think any of that. He was at ESPN. He may want to make this deal his own)

I mean if Dino took some of the risk of a flop of a hire out of the last two years, that's worth something. Maybe it's what he's already being paid. Maybe the combination of the rising profile, possible suitors and that removal of risk is worth more?

That's why Wildhack gets paid the big bucks, I think.

In college football you cannot be reactive you must be proactive when dealing with a good head coach. You extend him and increase the budget for assistants because if you don't, you could loose him which would be an absolute program killer. Make no mistake about it, The Syracuse program for the last 17 years has sucked. I mean really sucked, we had a few good years sprinkled here and there but as a whole it's been terrible. Dino has brought a system and an attitude that is hard to find in Any head coach. Would I like to wait a little bit more, sure but I think you extend him now if you believe he is turning the program around. He has arguably had two of our biggest wins in the last decade. The improvement has been off the charts. I would rather be proactive and extend him now and pay him $3.0-$3.5 mil and his assistants more dough instead of being reactive and having to match a larger offer or loose him all together. This team is good, and the culture is much different. He is building something. I haven't felt this good about the program in a long time.

Last edited:
No - that's what they hoped for. Now that it seems like he's delivering, it's not odd to think of a new deal. Plus, if you wait you risk that another school thinks he can do the same for them.

(Wildhack didn't think any of that. He was at ESPN. He may want to make this deal his own)

Now that is a new point that deserves some discussion.

It's a side dish at the Fine Lot, only given to newbies and those with a disproportionate amount of "posts" to "likes".
Hmm, I thought it was a term from the adult industry...my mistake.

Your last line is the contentious point, though. I don't understand "you give him a new deal" absolutism. We have no insight into the conversations our AD and head coach have been having. We don't even know the terms of Dino's contract.

I think we all agree that Babers is making substantial progress and that, barring some kind of scandal or catastrophic set of circumstances, we'd like to see him coach SU for the foreseeable future.

Where there is disagreement is regarding the urgent -- hell, almost FRANTIC -- pleading for SU to extend him now.

NOW.

Like Veruca Salt throwing a tantrum.

And I've seen this dynamic play out here 100 times. The demanding begins and then it snowballs into "SU never does anything!!1!1!! Why aren't they *doing* things?!?!" within weeks, if not days.

Personally, all I'm suggesting in this thread (and others like it) is that no one knows the basics of Babers' contract, no one seems to know exactly how-or-if the staff is compensated relative to our peers, and no one knows what talks have transpired within the administration. People should discuss, it's fun, that's why we're here. But the frantic-ness is odd to me.
I know this much, if a larger program comes along with a larger contract, better weather, more money for staff, richer boosters, newer stadium, etc.

I would guess that Dino would listen at the very least at the offer and entertain it, then do his Ben Franklin. I know that at that point, the Genie is already out of the bottle and we most likely have lost if we can't offer what said program has offered, and most likely in that scenario we will not be able to match what they do offer. SU is not one of the richer schools with the loosest purse strings, not sure if you have noticed.

What do you think our odds will be of keeping Dino under those circumstances if at the very least the conversation hasn't been initiated by the AD??

Point is, be proactive and let him know that he is wanted and needed here and show him that, don't wait.

EDIT: Also, as much as Dino has endeared himself to the fanbase and made it a point to include the community and fans, it would be devastating to the fanbase to lose him now.

And by devastating, I mean scorched earth devastating to the fanbase. Everyone loves the guy.

Last edited:
In college football you cannot be reactive you must be proactive when dealing with a good head coach. You extend him and increase the budget for assistants because if you don't, you could loose him which would be an absolute program killer. Make no mistake about it, The Syracuse program for the last 17 years has sucked. I mean really sucked, we had a few good years sprinkled here and there but as a whole it's been terrible. Dino has brought a system and an attitude that is hard to find in Any head coach. Would I like to wait a little bit more, sure but I think you extend him now if you believe he is turning the program around. He has arguably had two of our biggest wins in the last decade. The improvement has been off the charts. I would rather be proactive and extend him now and pay him $3.0-$3.5 mil and his assistants more dough instead of being reactive and having to match a larger offer or loose him all together. This team is good, and the culture is much different. He is building something. I haven't felt this good about the program in a long time.
Exactly.
I don’t get the “what’s the big rush to extend” crowd. Fact is, I’ve read the numerous nattering nabobs of negativity (say that 3x fast!) on this board, state unequivocally that “SU can never win a national championship”. That the best we could hope for are 8-10 win seasons and a top 25 ranking.
Yet here we are in two consecutive weeks beating #2 & hanging w/ #8 on the road, and suddenly a picture emerges of how we CAN win a natty here!
Dino set that in motion, in 1 and a half seasons no less!! Imagine what could be accomplished w/ more time??!!
This isn’t just blind enthusiasm. Lock him up & show him we’re in it for the long haul!

Exactly.
I don’t get the “what’s the big rush to extend” crowd. Fact is, I’ve read the numerous nattering nabobs of negativity (say that 3x fast!) on this board, state unequivocally that “SU can never win a national championship”. That the best we could hope for are 8-10 win seasons and a top 25 ranking.
Yet here we are in two consecutive weeks beating #2 & hanging w/ #8 on the road, and suddenly a picture emerges of how we CAN win a natty here!
Dino set that in motion, in 1 and a half seasons no less!! Imagine what could be accomplished w/ more time??!!
This isn’t just blind enthusiasm. Lock him up & show him we’re in it for the long haul!

i'll ask for the 10th time, what does lock him up mean? what locks him up? I think extending his deal another 10 years with a 20mm buyout for every year would lock him up but ultimately it comes down to what his deal is right now and i have no idea (no one does since everyone speculates).

Let em know when we have the details on his deal and i'll redline it along with everyone else where we can lock him up so he can't escape CNY for our desired time period.

How important is a Dome renovation in regards to recruiting? Obviously as fans we want a more modern, spacious, comfortable place to watch games. But it’s not clear to me what a renovation tangibly does for recruiting, other than just signaling investment in the program.

I ask because people seem convinced that a renovation is a critical element to retaining Babers and I’m wondering why? If we did nothing on that front (not saying we should, just posing a hypothetical) but threw lots of money at Dino and his staff, what would yield a bigger return?

Hell, it sounds like if we did nothing but put 44K+ in the Dome again regularly that might yield a bigger return.
That and some state of the art super cool lighting stuff.

In my view, I couldn't agree more. For almost two decades now the SU program has been irrelevant with a capital I. Being reactionary only gets us continuing playing catch up with the status quo. We need this administration to have foresight and be forward thinkers. Even with some of that minor success you mentioned (Marrone years) there hasn't been this kind of buzz (especially from a national standpoint) for years. Take advantage of this upward momentum, otherwise, we may just continue to find ourselves spinning in irrelevance.

i'll ask for the 10th time, what does lock him up mean? what locks him up? I think extending his deal another 10 years with a 20mm buyout for every year would lock him up but ultimately it comes down to what his deal is right now and i have no idea (no one does since everyone speculates).

Let em know when we have the details on his deal and i'll redline it along with everyone else where we can lock him up so he can't escape CNY for our desired time period.
Obviously we're not privy to the intimate details of his contract, that's a given. However, whatever we signed him for, in years or $$ amounts, I'm sure can be renegotiated as a matter of good faith.
If he's signed for 5 years, give him a 3-year extension. If its $1.5-$2 million, add to his and his assistants salaries. If he wants more assistants or confirmation of the renovations, or an extra hot-tub in the locker room...DO IT!
None of that guarantees he stays of course, but let's begin by showing him we're serious about being a PLAYER on the national scene, with him at the helm. That's what I mean by "lock him up"! JMHO

We have invested him and also in a new system. Its not like we can even run this system if he goes, we would start over in a drastic way even worse then the change from a SS system to this.

We have invested him and also in a new system. Its not like we can even run this system if he goes, we would start over in a drastic way even worse then the change from a SS system to this.
Totally agree!!

Syracuse football hasn’t mattered in a long time. 2012 is our best year since 2001 that year we were 8-5.
Sorry if I see the guy who I believe in and want to make sure he remains.

I think this is the most important point which leads nowhere except Dino should be inking a new deal right away. The fanbase has suffered for far too long. For 15+ years (give or take a few blips), the University has completely let the fanbase down when it comes to the football program. The GRob years. The fanbase tried to rally during the late Marrone years. Then, suddenly, the carpet was ripped right back out from underneath us. They then went on the cheap and hired Shafer, which unfortunately was a return to the GRob years. Let's carry this a bit further.. the University announced that they were analyzing options for a Dome renovation, or replacement. That was over a year ago. Not a peep since.

While most of us around here are diehards, the fact that the Dome barely sells 40K tickets to see the defending National Champion come to town tells the entire story. The diehards cannot support the revival of a storied program on our own. The show-me fans (those above the bandwagon, but below the diehards), are just starting to believe again. At the same time, they're all extremely hesitant to commit to being a part of the ultimate solution, because they have been fooled time and again.

It's time for the University to step up. It's time for them to demonstrate to those show-me fans their commitment to us. They need to do it in a big way. The fanbase, by and large, believes that Dino is the man to bring the football program back to notoriety. They need to deliver the message to their support system that they are committed to US. The cheapest way they can capitalize on this buzz is to double down on Dino and his staff; and it needs to be delivered PUBLICLY.

Walk with me a moment... Imagine SU announcing that Dino Babers and his staff have inked extensions. The fanbase will be pleased and on that alone (I would bet a significant amount of money on this), the University will offset a large chunk of that on season ticket sales for next season. If they could then somehow get their together and one week later announce the full details related to their plans for the Dome, the local buzz will actually dip below that show-me layer and into the bandwagon layer. Take a moment and visualize the impact that chain of events would have on the psyche of the fanbase.

I'm tired of waiting, hoping, only to be shrouded in disappointment because the University bungles another opportunity. That is why the University needs to ink these extensions now. It's time for the University to show me that my investment (donations) are going to generate a return (joy of watching this program rise from the ashes)!

The line has been drawn.

People are making this way to0 complicated.

When he signed the contract (whatever it was) they were hopeful it would be the right hire and that he'd get us pointed in the right direction. Now they know more than they did then; they are more sure. He's increased his value overall - but more specifically he's removed some of the guessing and hoping for the school... This make him an asset worth keeping around. It's up to Wildhack and the BoT what the number is and when it makes sense to do it, but it's more than he's making now.

There's a chance they think "this is what we thought he'd be and we're paying the going rate - so we're square. We are really smart" ... this would be a misreading of the landscape, IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom