Pete Thamel | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel

Not really. McDaniel was thought of as a great offensive mind, not a great recruiter. Huge difference.
Obviously he didn’t recruit…but he was RB coach before he was OC for 1 season…

The University is in a much better place with the current Chancellor and AD then the last 2. Nancy and Gross set the school back at least 10 years.

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpeg
    IMG_2686.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
lol. No kidding?!? The point is that guys at all levels are getting HC gigs with less experience than previously thought.

Yeah there are a few P5 head coaches that were position coaches when they were hired:

-Dabo Swinney (technically served as interim HC before being hired full time, but was a WR coach at Clemson before that)
-Kirk Ferentz was an O-Line coach for the Ravens when Iowa hired him
-Sam Pittman was O-Line coach for Georgia before being hired by Arkansas
-Shane Beamer was a Tight Ends coach at Oklahoma before South Carolina hired him

There's probably a couple of others as well. Head coach hires are mostly a crapshoot in my mind, anyway, so I'll just take a wait and see approach regardless of who is hired.

Wildhack is a Pro and we are fortunate to have him.
Honest question, what has he done that’s so good aside from fundraising? The big 3 sports haven’t been good under his watch.

MBB: all-time low.
FB: same old.
MLAX: all-time low.

He’s been responsible for new HCs for all these programs now, but it’s yet to be proven that his hires were good.

You would love a career DL coach to be our DC?

He’s 38. His career has spanned all of 13 years. He was CoOC/AHC/DL this season with A&M. Jimbo gave him the promotions because he didn’t want to lose him. Now he’s interim HC. 1-1.

Every guy is a career position coach until they’re not. Tony White, Jason Beck etc etc

Robinson is a Penn State grad from Camden and an even better recruiter than Brown.

I’m good with it. He’s ready.

2009–2010Penn State (GA)
2011Penn State (GA/DL)
2012–2013Penn State (DCR/NFLL)
2014–2015Temple (DL)
2016Temple (DL/RGC)
2017Baylor (DL)
2018–2021Texas A&M (DL)
2022Texas A&M (DL/RGC)
2023Texas A&M (DL/co-DC/AHC)
2023Texas A&M (interim HC)

Last edited:
He’s 38. His career has spanned all of 13 years. He was CoOC/AHC/DL this season with A&M. Now he’s interim HC. 1-1.

Every guy is a career position coach until they’re not. Tony White, Jason Beck yadda yadda.

Robinson is a Penn State grad from Camden and an even better recruiter than Brown.

2009–2010Penn State (GA)
2011Penn State (GA/DL)
2014–2015Temple (DL)
2016Temple (DL/RGC)
2017Baylor (DL)
2018–2021Texas A&M (DL)
2022Texas A&M (DL/RGC)

I think there was talks about him staying. But if we are going to gamble then gamble all the way don't half step.

I think there was talks about him staying. But if we are going to gamble then gamble all the way don't half step.

Talks with who? Elko was just hired. Elko should keep him, but who knows if Frans the guy.

He’s 38. His career has spanned all of 13 years. He was CoOC/AHC/DL this season with A&M. Now he’s interim HC. 1-1.

Every guy is a career position coach until they’re not. Tony White, Jason Beck yadda yadda.

2009–2010Penn State (GA)
2011Penn State (GA/DL)
2014–2015Temple (DL)
2016Temple (DL/RGC)
2017Baylor (DL)
2018–2021Texas A&M (DL)
2022Texas A&M (DL/RGC)

He has never had to run a D. It has been a long time since he coached talent as poor as ours. There will be a giant adjustment for him. So not only does he need to learn how to be a DC, he needs to do it with inferior talent. We are already taking a huge risk at HC, why do the same at DC?

Talks with who? Elko was just hired. Elko should keep him, but who knows if Frans the guy.

"
Mike Elko spoke at his introductory press conference about his plan for interim HC Elijah Robinson when he takes over. Robinson will serve as the team’s acting head coach through the Aggies’ bowl game.

And Elko told reporters Monday that he has made it a priority to retain Robinson while also hinting that the process to keep him in College Station has already begun."

Honest question, what has he done that’s so good aside from fundraising? The big 3 sports haven’t been good under his watch.

MBB: all-time low.
FB: same old.
MLAX: all-time low.

He’s been responsible for new HCs for all these programs now, but it’s yet to be proven that his hires were good.
I'm guessing you're rather young. Otherwise, you'd know about how abysmal all three programs have been at different times. Look up basketball in the early '60s, football and lax for most of the '70s.

lol. No kidding?!? The point is that guys at all levels are getting HC gigs with less experience than previously thought.
McDaniel was known as an offensive brain child. He doesn’t need to recruit Hill, Waddle, and Tua.

I could be wrong but i’m almost certain there hasn’t been any P5 programs hire a position coach with little to no coordinator experience.

"
Mike Elko spoke at his introductory press conference about his plan for interim HC Elijah Robinson when he takes over. Robinson will serve as the team’s acting head coach through the Aggies’ bowl game.

And Elko told reporters Monday that he has made it a priority to retain Robinson while also hinting that the process to keep him in College Station has already begun."

Appreciate the info…if Browns the guy we’ll see what happens. Elko is no dummy though.

McDaniel was known as an offensive brain child. He doesn’t need to recruit Hill, Waddle, and Tua.

I could be wrong but i’m almost certain there hasn’t been any P5 programs hire a position coach with little to no coordinator experience.
I think Cristobal, Brent Key, Dabo, and Matt Campbell at ISU all had 1-2 years max as coordinators before getting a HC job.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom