Pete Thamel | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel

I think Cristobal, Brent Key, Dabo, and Matt Campbell at ISU all had 1-2 years max as coordinators before getting a HC job.
Matt Campbell was the HC at Toledo before being hired by Iowa St. Cristobal was HC at Oregon and i think FAU or FIU before that.

I think it’s Dabo, Beamer, and Pittman who i believe is getting fired?

Matt Campbell was the HC at Toledo before being hired by Iowa St. Cristobal was HC at Oregon and i think FAU or FIU before that.

I think it’s Dabo, Beamer, and Pittman who i believe is getting fired?

One of Kalin Deboer or Dan Lanning are literally going to be in the playoff this year -- neither had any HC experience. There is no secret "formula" to being a good head coach.

I think this is a huge mistake that could well put us at the kids table of college football.

How does a guy who laid out the qualifications for our next coach just throw them out the window?

He better be right.

I think this is a huge mistake that could well put us at the kids table of college football.

How does a guy who laid out the qualifications for our next coach just throw them out the window?

He better be right.
Syracuse is already at the kids table. The program is an afterthought nationally. Brown could give the program some much needed juice.

McDaniel was known as an offensive brain child. He doesn’t need to recruit Hill, Waddle, and Tua.

I could be wrong but i’m almost certain there hasn’t been any P5 programs hire a position coach with little to no coordinator experience.
I think Lanning had 1 year maybe 2 as DC.

Dabo was already listed

Looks like Thamel got scooped on this one.
Feel like Fran brown may have done that here tbh. He may have the contract in hand and went to his guys. Just a thought. Feldman had it and everyone else just confirmed off of his report.

My guess is Thamel will get the wildhack unofficial official this am

Regarding Elijah Robinson.

I know what Elko said and A&M will throw him another half mil.

That said, Robinson and Brown are friends, similar in age, from same city.

Robinson may take the leap for less or comparable money for the career opportunity to be a DC and work with someone he likes.

Regarding Elijah Robinson.

I know what Elko said and A&M will throw him another half mil.

That said, Robinson and Brown are friends, similar in age, from same city.

Robinson may take the leap for less or comparable money for the career opportunity to be a DC and work with someone he likes.
For those that don't know, Elijah is also considered a premiere recruiter. He hasn't had a chance to be a coordinator but is so valued that he has the AHC role at T A&M.

Like Auburn says, he is also from Camden.

Going to war with an SEC team for a coach is tough. Not only is Elko trying to keep him for A&M, but I am sure Jimbo is trying to get him to Vanderbilt. And many other schools will offer him big bucks as well. Elite recruiters are a scarce commodity.

It is good though that Elko doesn't have a relationship with him and Fran is a good friend.

Fran got Elijah his first big job at Baylor...

For those that don't know, Elijah is also considered a premiere recruiter. He hasn't had a chance to be a coordinator but is so valued that he has the AHC role at T A&M.

Like Auburn says, he is also from Camden.

Going to war with an SEC team for a coach is tough. Not only is Elko trying to keep him for A&M, but I am sure Jimbo is trying to get him to Vanderbilt. And many other schools will offer him big bucks as well. Elite recruiters are a scarce commodity.

It is good though that Elko doesn't have a relationship with him and Fran is a good friend.

Fran got Elijah his first big job at Baylor...

If we get them both we could build a tunnel to New Jersey ( With thick walls )

I'm guessing you're rather young. Otherwise, you'd know about how abysmal all three programs have been at different times. Look up basketball in the early '60s, football and lax for most of the '70s.
rarely does a given program not have a down period, but all 3 at the same time?

McDaniel was known as an offensive brain child. He doesn’t need to recruit Hill, Waddle, and Tua.

I could be wrong but i’m almost certain there hasn’t been any P5 programs hire a position coach with little to no coordinator experience.

I just listed a few of them a few posts before yours, and that's just current head coaches. It's happened in the past, too. Ole Miss hired Ed Orgeron when he had been nothing higher than a D-Line coach previously. It was an internal hire, but Pat Fitzgerald was a linebackers coach at Northwestern when he got the HC gig.

It's not super common, but it absolutely happens. I'm not sure whether it will pan out or not (no one is), but lets not act like we are the first P5 school to ever do this.

That seems like the bet. Chesney represents the way to build a program, Brown represents the ability to get better talent in the door.
That’s a pretty good summary. I’m not unhappy focusing on getting talent in the door. A good coach with lousy talent can’t take us very far.

That seems like the bet. Chesney represents the way to build a program, Brown represents the ability to get better talent in the door.
Agree with this.

If the year was 2018, we would probably go with Chesney.

But with the portal, if you have a staff that can really recruit, you can make a major improvement in a program far faster than the old 'find diamonds in the rough and develop them' approach.

I think if you hire someone like Chesney, you are likely looking at a 5 year development path. Bringing him in would result in a lot of attrition and it would be more of a rebuild situation.

I think Fran Brown and his crew will be able to retain our roster and current recruiting class more effectively than a staff from Holy Cross. And of course do a lot better in the portal.

I just listed a few of them a few posts before yours, and that's just current head coaches. It's happened in the past, too. Ole Miss hired Ed Orgeron when he had been nothing higher than a D-Line coach previously. It was an internal hire, but Pat Fitzgerald was a linebackers coach at Northwestern when he got the HC gig.

It's not super common, but it absolutely happens. I'm not sure whether it will pan out or not (no one is), but lets not act like we are the first P5 school to ever do this.
Correct. Don't know if you mentioned it by Dabo is another example. Was the Clemson WR coach. Young, folksy, not much of an X and O guy (still isn't). But he had the right personality and was an excellent recruiter and the Clemson AD bypassed a lot of more experienced coaches to go with the young guy with the 'it' factor.

Not saying Fran is going to be the next Dabo. I am saying, it is possible to hire a position coach with the right skill set and enjoy success. The best HC in the ACC is a good example of that.

But with the portal, if you have a staff that can really recruit, you can make a major improvement in a program far faster than the old 'find diamonds in the rough and develop them' approach.
How's the NIL budget? Fat? Lots of posters like to remind every one (every chance they get) that Syracuse doesn't have the budget like the other P5 schools. Personal charisma only gets people so far when other schools are offering more dollars.

How's the NIL budget? Fat? Lots of posters like to remind every one (every chance they get) that Syracuse doesn't have the budget like the other P5 schools. Personal charisma only gets people so far when other schools are offering more dollars.
I hope / pray this hire means we are going all in on talent. Paying Fran 3m vs a Mullen type 5-7 means we can have donors focus more on NIL. 3-4m in NiL means we’re super competitive in the acc. We ain’t beating FSU, Miami or Clemson, but we are beating or equaling everyone else. And at that level, a big time recruiter makes a difference.

I would still rather take a swing on a guy who might recruit and have a personality than not.

Mullin was a hit because of his work building MSU not his work at FL where he had even more, Maybe his fire was gone as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom