Pete Thamel | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Pete Thamel

I just ooze charisma. I would be a terrible head football coach.

I just hope SU can work the contact so they can realistically pull the rip cord after 2 years if he can't win or bring top recruits in.
3 years - if he is winning he is moving on. If he is losing we should be moving on.

Correct. Don't know if you mentioned it by Dabo is another example. Was the Clemson WR coach. Young, folksy, not much of an X and O guy (still isn't). But he had the right personality and was an excellent recruiter and the Clemson AD bypassed a lot of more experienced coaches to go with the young guy with the 'it' factor.

Not saying Fran is going to be the next Dabo. I am saying, it is possible to hire a position coach with the right skill set and enjoy success. The best HC in the ACC is a good example of that.
You are making me feel better about this choice.

Agree with this.

If the year was 2018, we would probably go with Chesney.

But with the portal, if you have a staff that can really recruit, you can make a major improvement in a program far faster than the old 'find diamonds in the rough and develop them' approach.

I think if you hire someone like Chesney, you are likely looking at a 5 year development path. Bringing him in would result in a lot of attrition and it would be more of a rebuild situation.

I think Fran Brown and his crew will be able to retain our roster and current recruiting class more effectively than a staff from Holy Cross. And of course do a lot better in the portal.
I think Chesney would be someone a MAC program should jump on.

Correct. Don't know if you mentioned it by Dabo is another example. Was the Clemson WR coach. Young, folksy, not much of an X and O guy (still isn't). But he had the right personality and was an excellent recruiter and the Clemson AD bypassed a lot of more experienced coaches to go with the young guy with the 'it' factor.

Not saying Fran is going to be the next Dabo. I am saying, it is possible to hire a position coach with the right skill set and enjoy success. The best HC in the ACC is a good example of that.

I just listed a few of them a few posts before yours, and that's just current head coaches. It's happened in the past, too. Ole Miss hired Ed Orgeron when he had been nothing higher than a D-Line coach previously. It was an internal hire, but Pat Fitzgerald was a linebackers coach at Northwestern when he got the HC gig.

It's not super common, but it absolutely happens. I'm not sure whether it will pan out or not (no one is), but lets not act like we are the first P5 school to ever do this.
There has been a few but the few also worked for their current program so understood what it takes to win. Other than Ed O, who was the interim HC at USC for almost an entire season, and basically the perfect fit for LSU, there hasn’t been any position coaches hired from outside their own program to another P5. I hope he knows what’s in store for him.

How's the NIL budget? Fat? Lots of posters like to remind every one (every chance they get) that Syracuse doesn't have the budget like the other P5 schools. Personal charisma only gets people so far when other schools are offering more dollars.
I would imagine a guy who’s a killer recruiter would also be very good at coaxing dollars out of the booster class for NIL and facilities.

I would imagine a guy who’s a killer recruiter would also be very good at coaxing dollars out of the booster class for NIL and facilities.
I imagine he could also speak quite frankly with the board and boosters and the AD and whomever needs to hear how this $tuff works at a major $EC school / national champion.

Interviews go both ways. I have to imagine Fran asked about current Nil investment and projected future investment availability. Yeah I know the school doesn't own Nil but we all know they direct it with guidance. So presumably Fran was pleased with what he heard or he likely wouldn't be signing on.

The point is that she is not impressed with Chesney and his lack of P5 experience. She is doing her homework and really looking into the potential options. So then you can equate Chesney to a coach who coached I think it was 6 games for Rutgers as an interim head coach. And then she knows what went on with the players this week and how Nunzio pulled them together. She knows things that went on before the Wake game that I have not read anywhere. Not even a rumor. So I think she has a pretty good hold on things. PS. Her son has no interest in leaving Syracuse. She is not a fan of the transfer portal and believes in completing what you start. She also is not a fan of what NIL is doing. So who the coach is going to be is extremely important as they plan on staying at Syracuse no matter what.
Mom's going to be pretty sad when Nunzio leaves then. Considering he's been interviewing elsewhere.

Spoke to the mother of one of our players. She is concerned about Chesney. Would rather have Nunzio over Chesney. At least Nunzio has experience coaching at our level with Rutgers and our one game. He really brought the players together this week from a difficult place.

Mom's going to be pretty sad when Nunzio leaves then. Considering he's been interviewing elsewhere.
At best, Nunzio may have been considered for a second or two. He was never a serious option, regardless of how much he is loved by players and their family.

There has been a few but the few also worked for their current program so understood what it takes to win. Other than Ed O, who was the interim HC at USC for almost an entire season, and basically the perfect fit for LSU, there hasn’t been any position coaches hired from outside their own program to another P5. I hope he knows what’s in store for him.
I agree. It isn't going to be easy for Fran, assuming he actually comes here. The jump from coordinator to HC to a big one. The jump from assistant to HC is even bigger.

He will have the advantage of having worked for some excellent HCs and having direct access to the best run program in college football behind the scenes.

The portal accelerates things and makes the transition even crazier.

He is going to be thrown into a hurricane real fast.

Let's see how he handles it.

At best, Nunzio may have been considered for a second or two. He was never a serious option, regardless of how much he is loved by players and their family.
yeah and he has a shot to move his career forward he should do that. I think it's a bit nieve to think he would just want to sit back and be the TE coach at Syracuse under Fran Brown. For all we know he's not in HCFB plan. Just don't know, who is to say the two even have a good relationship? Don't know

Everyone is misreading what I posted. I didn't say they wanted him. Just that they didn't want Chesney, and used that as a better option to make a point. This is getting annoying.

Syracuse is already at the kids table. The program is an afterthought nationally. Brown could give the program some much needed juice.
Only way for Syracuse to move up from the kids table at this point is to get lucky with a hire like Fran or to invest in a proven winner. I guess Cuse is hoping to get lucky.

Need to be consistently good for 8-10 years straight to change national perception and make the head coaching job not be perceived as a career ender.

Everyone is misreading what I posted. I didn't say they wanted him. Just that they didn't want Chesney, and used that as a better option to make a point. This is getting annoying.
Have you asked for their sentiment wrt to Brown?

If we have learned anything over the past week or so, it is that this board is filled with bourbon drinking knuckleheads who love Sam Elliot movies.

Yeah I had heard that if Chesney were hired, the portal floodgates were going to open wide. It's why the players were supposedly pushing for Tony White. Will be interesting to see how hiring Brown affects this. He seems well-liked by certain guys, so I don't think the attrition will be as bad as if they hired Chesney.

Have you asked for their sentiment wrt to Brown?
She will call me after work today. But she did text this morning that he was going to be the coach, so no frowning faces or anything. Her son in on the offensive side. She just wants the best opportunities for our team. I think she will be all good with this hire. She also has a line to some decent NIL money from the company she works for. She already spoke to some development folks in athletics. They are interested in supporting her son's school. She is really an asset to our program. EDIT or UPDATE. Yes happy. Quick text from work...

Last edited:
She will call me after work today. But she did text this morning that he was going to be the coach, so no frowning faces or anything. Her son in on the offensive side. She just wants the best opportunities for our team. I think she will be all good with this hire. She also has a line to some decent NIL money from the company she works for. She already spoke to some development folks in athletics. They are interested in supporting her son's school. She is really an asset to our program.
That's awesome! Thank you!

They would be wrong. It's typical woe-is-us mentality.
You do know that Syracuse football has been one of worst P5 football teams this century? It was ranked the worst open P6 job by ESPN? And they're headed towards their 6th Head Coach in 23 years? Dino Babers is the longest tenured SU HC since Pasqualoni and he had a .427 winning percentage?

Yeah, people are delusional.

If we have learned anything over the past week or so, it is that this board is filled with bourbon drinking knuckleheads who love Sam Elliot movies.
Some people might’ve failed to follow Sam’s sage advice…

1701184143415.gif

You do know that Syracuse football has been one of worst P5 football teams this century? It was ranked the worst open P6 job by ESPN? And they're headed towards their 6th Head Coach in 23 years? Dino Babers is the longest tenured SU HC since Pasqualoni and he had a .427 winning percentage?

Yeah, people are delusional.

ESPN ranked it low but 2 4 7 ranked it as number 6 and ahead of Duke

Sooooo

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors