Petro To UNC | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Petro To UNC

It always seems like you have a shot to pull a coach out of the Ivy League. The grad student rules, along with of course the academic requirements, make it at a pretty real disadvantage. Not to mention the covid year perhaps not doing great things for coaches trust. Stevens may bleed Big Red but we have something to offer being out of the Ivy League alone.

It always seems like you have a shot to pull a coach out of the Ivy League. The grad student rules, along with of course the academic requirements, make it at a pretty real disadvantage. Not to mention the covid year perhaps not doing great things for coaches trust. Stevens may bleed Big Red but we have something to offer being out of the Ivy League alone.
for me, pulling coaches has looked like it's about $$? and who hasn't had a coach pulled, yale? it's good to have joe tsai in your corner.

covid hasn't wreaked the havoc yet on the ivy that people predicted. they put 6 teams in the nc$$ in 2022 and have backed that up with maybe their best 2 recruiting classes ever, on paper. unintended consequences.

syracuse can outbid cornell. the question if that's their target is by how much and what does stevens value? and by that i don't mean $$, but alma mater, friendship w buczek, relationship w/ team, future professional prospects for both him and the team(s).

Stevens is still my number one, but I wonder how Pat March might feel about that sort of move. You'd almost certainly have to give him the "associate head coach" title seeing that he already has it at Cornell. But unlike a lot of the other coaches on the lists we've seen who you would have to give that sort of title to (any current head coach, someone like Ryan Wellner), March is older than Stevens (class of 2010 vs 2015). March has pretty much done everything right at SU but kept a pretty low profile. Dealt with the fallout of Desko leaving, has recruited a ton of great offensive players, produced a really good offense last year basically created from scratch. Maybe he doesn't care but I think it's worth considering.
the associate head coach is something i've never understood. does it come with anything?

if no, is it meant to appease somebody? and if it's no, why would that appease that somebody?

Doesn’t fit what SU wants or what you want I remember it was you specifically that told Gait wasn’t a candidate for the HC position either I can go back and find the posts or we can just agree to disagree

Doesn’t fit what SU wants or what you want I remember it was you specifically that told Gait wasn’t a candidate for the HC position either I can go back and find the posts or we can just agree to disagree

The Gait info I got was incorrect, however, I don't think anyone anticipated him pursuing the job like he did. I also acknowledged I was incorrect on that. That said if you think SU is going to hire McCabe or Thorpe your entitled to your opinion but there's zero evidence either is a candidate and as I noted neither fit what SU is looking for.

Caputo seems like a legit possibility. My understanding is that Danowski is grooming Danowski Jr to be the next HC in a few years, and this is to Caputos dismay. He may be smart to look at a new spot where could eventually take over in a few years.

Caputo seems like a legit possibility. My understanding is that Danowski is grooming Danowski Jr to be the next HC in a few years, and this is to Caputos dismay. He may be smart to look at a new spot where could eventually take over in a few years.
he has a son likely playing his last year. not the only family reason.

and imo, his chances of getting the head gig, if that's what he wants, go down dramatically with a move. don't see it at all. danowski's not ksheshefski. and he's been attached to danowski. i might swear off speculation in the future if i'm wrong.

I don't think either Mullins or White are close to qualified to being a DI Men's coach at this point. I think White may be involved in the club game down in Nashville but not sure. Mullins I have no idea what he's up to but its not coaching in college.

Don't blame you for thinking about potential Syracuse connections (most speculation goes to alums of schools when jobs open up). I wish more had gotten involved in coaching. There was a time when the volunteer assistant always seemed to go to a recent graduate.

The only Syracuse coach I can think of is Paulo Ciferri over at Cornell. I don't think he'd be quite ready for the job as Stevens handles most of the defense. Willie Klan is also on the Big Red staff as a volunteer assistant, but that is a bridge too far for sure. Dom Lamolinara used to be a volunteer assistant at Navy but not sure where he's at now.

Long and short of it I think the pick will come outside of the Syracuse network. That is okay.
apart from recruiting, I do not understand the interest in very young alums or young rising stars who may have had a good season on the job. A solid assistant with four or five impressive years at tactics, development, recruiting, game management including quick adjustments, good working relationships with the players and coaches and the capability to assume the HC job when necessary seems a good model. I am still not sure Galloway should be a HC, but in one area he has learned a lot. He has hired some very good assistants who have improved the team's defense significantly. I guess I am recommending against the fifty foot basketball shot with the game on the line.

he has a son likely playing his last year. not the only family reason.

and imo, his chances of getting the head gig, if that's what he wants, go down dramatically with a move. don't see it at all. danowski's not ksheshefski. and he's been attached to danowski. i might swear off speculation in the future if i'm wrong.

If I could speculate on your speculation… perhaps his main going isn’t to be a head coach? Maybe he sees some writing on the wall with Danowski Jr and just doesn’t want to work for someone closer to his sons age than that of himself. Syracuse would be a pretty good landing spot and I’m sure Gait would grant him a pretty long runway.

The son still being at Duke certainly complicates things, I will definitely grant you that. The Team 91 connection has me intrigued however.

Took Denver a month to announce Metzbower as an assistant coach. Really not sure I can do this for that long of a time lol.

the associate head coach is something i've never understood. does it come with anything?

if no, is it meant to appease somebody? and if it's no, why would that appease that somebody?

I’m guessing if it’s an internal “promotion” that it comes with a pay bump. If it’s external I feel like it must mean you are paid more than the other assistant but I have no idea. I imagine UVA did it for Cassese so he could save a little face, leaving a head coaching job and all.

Like all professions, I’m sure it strokes the ego a bit and the institution you are working for can tell you that you are that much more valuable. Stevens having that title at such a young age is a bit eye opening. Given he and Buzeck are close to the same age they may have done it to appease some jealousy concerns. They may have also worried that Milliman wanted to poach him for Hopkins.

Someone on fanlax suggested Coon from RIT. I don't know his defensive coaching bona fides, but he's a good fit in a lot of ways. So are Gleason from Siena and Witheford at Union. Those top D3 schools recruit from all the top clubs and prep schools. I also suggested Perzinski from Jacksonville, who may be expendable with Galloway having brought Giles-Harris onboard (Perzinski got the bump to Associate Head Coach).

The Gait info I got was incorrect, however, I don't think anyone anticipated him pursuing the job like he did. I also acknowledged I was incorrect on that. That said if you think SU is going to hire McCabe or Thorpe you’re entitled to your opinion but there's zero evidence either is a candidate and as I noted neither fit what SU is looking for.
There is zero evidence other than Galloway and Amplo publicly saying they don’t want the job to any of these candidates other than some fictitious list that some reporters are claiming to be true Nor did I ever say Pat McCabe was a candidate. Gary Gait has made ZERO comment on who or what he is looking for in a candidate So let’s see who Gary picked for assistants in the past well his associate head coach on the women’s team was Regy Thorpe and He and Thorpe coached Hamilton in the MLL together. Which is a better indicator the past or pure speculation ? Time will tell

The Gait info I got was incorrect, however, I don't think anyone anticipated him pursuing the job like he did. I also acknowledged I was incorrect on that. That said if you think SU is going to hire McCabe or Thorpe you’re entitled to your opinion but there's zero evidence either is a candidate and as I noted neither fit what SU is looking for.
There is zero evidence other than Galloway and Amplo publicly saying they don’t want the job to any of these candidates other than some fictitious list that some reporters are claiming to be true Nor did I ever say Pat McCabe was a candidate. Gary Gait has made ZERO comment on who or what he is looking for in a candidate So let’s see who Gary picked for assistants in the past well his associate head coach on the women’s team was Regy Thorpe and He and Thorpe coached Hamilton in the MLL together. Which is a better indicator the past or pure speculation ? Time will tell

Not to be that guy but the reply and quote feature would really help clear up who and what your responding to.

People didn't just pick names out of a hat and make a "fictious" list as you noted. NYC already confirmed SU was in communication with 4 or 5 of the names listed by Chris J and Quint.

Of course Gary Gait didn't comment on the opening or what he's looking for what HC does? Information on potential candidates and qualifications schools are looking for leak out all the time hence the info I passed along that I heard that SUs looking for someone with experience coaching defense at this level and a strong recruiting background. I believe Nyclax has also indicated that hes heard something similar.

Thorpe would be a bizarre hire for SU at this point and I'm not sure Wildhack would even sign off.

first of all, use paragraphs or line breaks. this is nearly unreadable

second, i have not defended petro "all season", in fact i barely posted here during the season except to say that the defense stunk. not all of that was petro's fault, but some of it was

i can say team morale isn't good right now because it isn't. the players were caught off guard by the whole thing and many are bummed about petro leaving. and it's turning into an unnecessary distraction. i have spoken directly to some players, their families, and their club coaches. i dont care about a barbecue. the fact is petro developed close relationships with many. that doesnt mean every single player loved him. there is no coach in the country who is loved by 100% of his players.

they will get over it. especially if gait nails this hire. but right now spirits are pretty low. there was a lot of excitement and this has dampened it temporarily. it happens
Look how I decide to write on here has nothing to do with anything so don't go there. Trust me I know players too on the team so laughing at the barbecue is corny. I was just making a point I that I was around the team and I never said u said anything during the season I said someone mentioned that not YOU specifically so no idea why that bothered you. I think players liked him I don't mean that but playing for him not a lot on defense enjoyed it and that's a fact. Didn't he have issues like that the end of his Hopkins tenure? Some players if u noticed and at least 3 or 4 on defense played better early in the season and that's due to being kicked down and not picked back up. Constantly ripping a player down and not picking em back up when they do well is not a good recipe for success. I personally think he also made bad decisions on who he chose to cover who many games. I think he was a great player and a great coach but the game has changed and the players have changed. He hasn't adapted to the change. His players performence the last 6 or so yrs kind of show that. As I started to notice during the season some guys play was dipping I went back to his Hopkins days to see what ppl were saying about him and it was exactly what I was seeing going on at SU. Maybe he does adjust at UNC and does well. I'm not rooting against him or anything. I am rooting against UNC but if he adapts good for him but if does not UNC may see the same issues on their D the next few seasons. Oh again we all have our opinions and some know players on the team and have spoken with them . U say u have so I believe u but so do I as many others on here too so no reason to get angry due to what I'm telling ppl on here. Same with paragraphs I been doing it all season and plenty here have enjoyed what I have to say. No reason to come at me like that. We all want SU to win and I just said from the beginning I think the change can be good for the defense and the players might play to there full potential not fizzle out as the season goes like at least 3 or 4 did this season. Oh it also seemed to me had better relationships with offensive guys like Spallina or last yr Curry. Ok I'm done talking Petro he's gone and I'm excited to see who replaces him. Curious if the new coach brings out the best in his players and they play consistently all season long. Will make a HUGE difference.

Last edited:
first of all, use paragraphs or line breaks. this is nearly unreadable

second, i have not defended petro "all season", in fact i barely posted here during the season except to say that the defense stunk. not all of that was petro's fault, but some of it was

i can say team morale isn't good right now because it isn't. the players were caught off guard by the whole thing and many are bummed about petro leaving. and it's turning into an unnecessary distraction. i have spoken directly to some players, their families, and their club coaches. i dont care about a barbecue. the fact is petro developed close relationships with many. that doesnt mean every single player loved him. there is no coach in the country who is loved by 100% of his players.

they will get over it. especially if gait nails this hire. but right now spirits are pretty low. there was a lot of excitement and this has dampened it temporarily. it happens
I actually apologize I looked back and I did say u defended him all season. I don't know why I said it and ur saying u didn't so I have no reason to not believe u. When I'm wrong I'll admit it so I do apologize for that.

Someone on fanlax suggested Coon from RIT. I don't know his defensive coaching bona fides, but he's a good fit in a lot of ways. So are Gleason from Siena and Witheford at Union. Those top D3 schools recruit from all the top clubs and prep schools. I also suggested Perzinski from Jacksonville, who may be expendable with Galloway having brought Giles-Harris onboard (Perzinski got the bump to Associate Head Coach).
Coon could be a sleeper pick for sure played high school ball at Homer and college at Naz. Assistant at Umass and now has built RIT into a D3 powerhouse.Recruits Canada heavily so one would think he and Gait look for similar types of players.

Look how I decide to write on here has nothing to do with anything so don't go there. Trust me I know players too on the team so laughing at the barbecue is corny. I was just making a point I that I was around the team and I never said u said anything during the season I said someone mentioned that not YOU specifically so no idea why that bothered you. I think players liked him I don't mean that but playing for him not a lot on defense enjoyed it and that's a fact. Didn't he have issues like that the end of his Hopkins tenure? Some players if u noticed and at least 3 or 4 on defense played better early in the season and that's due to being kicked down and not picked back up. Constantly ripping a player down and not picking em back up when they do well is not a good recipe for success. I personally think he also made bad decisions on who he chose to cover who many games. I think he was a great player and a great coach but the game has changed and the players have changed. He hasn't adapted to the change. His players performence the last 6 or so yrs kind of show that. As I started to notice during the season some guys play was dipping I went back to his Hopkins days to see what ppl were saying about him and it was exactly what I was seeing going on at SU. Maybe he does adjust at UNC and does well. I'm not rooting against him or anything. I am rooting against UNC but if he adapts good for him but if does not UNC may see the same issues on their D the next few seasons. Oh again we all have our opinions and some know players on the team and have spoken with them . U say u have so I believe u but so do I as many others on here too so no reason to get angry due to what I'm telling ppl on here. Same with paragraphs I been doing it all season and plenty here have enjoyed what I have to say. No reason to come at me like that. We all want SU to win and I just said from the beginning I think the change can be good for the defense and the players might play to there full potential not fizzle out as the season goes like at least 3 or 4 did this season. Oh it also seemed to me had better relationships with offensive guys like Spallina or last yr Curry. Ok I'm done talking Petro he's gone and I'm excited to see who replaces him. Curious if the new coach brings out the best in his players and they play consistently all season long. Will make a HUGE difference.
my brain hurts

Screen_Shot_2020-07-24_at_11.33.38_AM.jpg

Coon could be a sleeper pick for sure played high school ball at Homer and college at Naz. Assistant at Umass and now has built RIT into a D3 powerhouse.Recruits Canada heavily so one would think he and Gait look for similar types of players.
watched him in hs. A very smart player. A good background. To me, a very interesting possibility.

watched him in hs. A very smart player. A good background. To me, a very interesting possibility.
played against him from Jr High through High school his family is all local very hardworking people. What he has done at RIT is nothing short of impressive. I also liked Quint’s suggestion of Taylor Ray but his name isn’t being mentioned anywhere else. But yes Coon has a very bright coaching future to say the least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom