Class of 2018 - PF Nate Roberts (MD / NH) Commits to Washington | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2018 PF Nate Roberts (MD / NH) Commits to Washington

FWIW I know a UW guy who claims that Roberts gave a silent verbal to Nebraska.

Sounds fishy to me but this guy knew they were getting Bey and Hardy before either of them announced for UW, so maybe this is accurate?

I mean, they do have some great corn there. Tough to compete.

Andrew White III couldn't get out of Nebraska fast enough. And he would have been The Man there, had he stayed.

Nate - don't make the same mistake, and waste years playing for an also-ran program in the middle of nowhere.

Sounds fishy to me but this guy knew they were getting Bey and Hardy before either of them announced for UW, so maybe this is accurate?

Wow - have we ever lost a basketball recruiting battle with Nebraska? That would go into the "You Never Can Tell" file.

I think getting someone that can play the 5 is vital this year. If Chukwu isn't showing as a serviceable Center, we need somebody in the 2018 class who can play some minutes next year. With all the confusion from the Adidas scandal fallout, it's hard to tell if there is anyone that we could make a push for. Prior to the FBI indictments there didn't seem to be any candidates.

Unless of course JB is the master of distraction and has been hiding Chukwu's talent to fake out all ACC coaches... ;)

I thought we were the only school that got silent verbals from people

Wow - have we ever lost a basketball recruiting battle with Nebraska? That would go into the "You Never Can Tell" file.

I think getting someone that can play the 5 is vital this year. If Chukwu isn't showing as a serviceable Center, we need somebody in the 2018 class who can play some minutes next year. With all the confusion from the Adidas scandal fallout, it's hard to tell if there is anyone that we could make a push for. Prior to the FBI indictments there didn't seem to be any candidates.

Unless of course JB is the master of distraction and has been hiding Chukwu's talent to fake out all ACC coaches... ;)
We did lose a recruit to Colgate once so anything can happen

Hopefully, his silent verbal mirrors Quade's in intensity and vigor! :)

Honestly I would doubt that he's going to Nebraska. The only reason I'm even considering it is that the guy who told me also told me about 2 UW commits before they were officially announced, so he appears to be pretty plugged into UW recruiting. I can't imagine Nebraska beating out SU and UW...

Honestly I would doubt that he's going to Nebraska. The only reason I'm even considering it is that the guy who told me also told me about 2 UW commits before they were officially announced, so he appears to be pretty plugged into UW recruiting. I can't imagine Nebraska beating out SU and UW...

I'd be surprised with Nebraska also. Can't imagine Tim Miles has the most secure coaching future in college basketball at this point.

The Syracuse coaches think Washington is the school to beat.

After getting Bazley, Buddy and Carey - I really don't care. All gravy. If we get Roberts great, if not, grad transfer.
it is dangerous to assume that there would be a quality player available. its not like picking a jug of clorox off the shelf at walmart.
it would be nice have a solid 3-4 year player in this class. with baze & carey both likely gone before junior season, if buddy redshirts then there will be no juniors (and possibly very few seniors) on the roster for the 20-21 season. its good avoid such imbalances

it is dangerous to assume that there would be a quality player available. its not like picking a jug of clorox off the shelf at walmart.
it would be nice have a solid 3-4 year player in this class. with baze & carey both likely gone before junior season, if buddy redshirts then there will be no juniors (and possibly very few seniors) on the roster for the 20-21 season. its good avoid such imbalances

Great point

I'd be surprised if Buddy redshirts. He is already prepping a year. JB would be practically 80 by the time Buddy graduated. That's pushing it, even for a tough old buzzard like Boeheim.

I'm beginning to think this Nate to Nebraska or Washington rumor, is just that, a rumor?I'm expecting a video of him revealing that he is coming to Syracuse earlier than his set announcement date. First, Buddy's video then Carey's and then Roberts.

Especially with the lack of interest in other high quality players still available It makes no sense to take Nate, but not have interest in anyone else (including those ranked higher that are unsigned) unless he's a lock?

Fingers crossed ;)

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if Buddy redshirts. He is already prepping a year. JB would be practically 80 by the time Buddy graduated. That's pushing it, even for a tough old buzzard like Boeheim.
This is Buddy's senior year. So even though he is going to a prep school, he is not in danger of going in as a 5th year
HS senior. He is entering college on schedule the same as his former JD class mates. Believe that he will be 18 when he starts college.

Just watched the video on Roberts for the first time. Very impressed at his ability to finish around the rim..love that he is a lefty and he has the shoulders of Dwight Howard which tells me he can certainly bulk up much bigger and be a force down low. Sounds like he may not come our way but if he does it would be a nice cherry on top of the class.

Not unless Bruce Pearl is there...

Why would anyone want to go to Nebraska?
Also, I thought UW was the leader for C Bryan Penn Johnson. I wonder how they're even in the running for Nate. Seems weird to take two centers in one class.

Regarding recruits going to Washington, Hopkins as we know is a good recruiter.

What we don't know is that he must be a good juggler.

Even without Nate Roberts, he currently will have 15 players on his 2018-2019 team.

He must be planning to clean a little house because the maximum number of scholarship players on any team is 13. He must expect to lose 2-3 players to transfers or other attrition avenues. I do not foresee anyone on his team declaring early for the NBA.
That's what I don't get. Their roster seems overstuffed.

I agree, not to mention he's going to Brewster to strengthen his game and make sure he's 100% ready to step in right away and be a big contributor.