Class of 2017 - PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 PG Tremont Waters (CT) to LSU

Even with Frank, Washington, Battle and Ayala for next year, I wish we would grab a 5th year..even for depth purposes...what if Frank stays regressed by the time regular season hits and we're stuck
If we can't get some small forwards we may have to play Battle there which would make a 5th year possible as well.

If we play Battle at the 3 we are screwed.

Why would we be "screwed?"

Let me qualify that by saying that it is [hopefully] unlikely that we would. Best case scenario is to land a true 3 who can shoot like Tucker, or an experienced 5th year transfer who could step into the role, but if we don't land either -- what is the alternative? In that scenario, they'd probably go with a three guard lineup with Battle manning the back line. He's a big kid. By next year, he'll have more than adequate size [210 lbs].

Let me qualify that by saying that it is [hopefully] unlikely that we would. Best case scenario is to land a true 3 who can shoot like Tucker, or an experienced 5th year transfer who could step into the role, but if we don't land either -- what is the alternative? In that scenario, they'd probably go with a three guard lineup with Battle manning the back line. He's a big kid. By next year, he'll have more than adequate size [210 lbs].

I agree with everything you said, but that means we didn't bring in a quality SF and I don't think Ayala/Howard/Washington is a winning backcourt next year. We need him at the 2 IMO to be competitive. Not a knock on Battle, but the players surrounding him.

I agree with everything you said, but that means we didn't bring in a quality SF and I don't think Ayala/Howard/Washington is a winning backcourt next year. We need him at the 2 IMO to be competitive. Not a knock on Battle, but the players surrounding him.

Gotcha.

Agree 100% with that sentiment. We have two big holes in the lineup, with the roster as it currently stands. JB and the staff can rebound in a BIG way from a relatively disappointing fall signing period by landing quality wings in Ayala / Tucker. Doing so makes this a top 25 caliber class, fills both gaps in our lineup, and rebuilds the foundation of our team with quality depth.

Have to get it done.

I think the bigger concern in your scenario which I will call domesday is that we will have multiple people playing out of position. Also we would have a guard that can't shoot at PG (Howard). Usually when you go 3 guard you give up size and strength but gain shooting to space the floor and quickness. In this scenario we are just smaller and not spacing the floor. The reality is though this is pointless we could add Ayala, Tucker and Wright best case scenario or just add some of those pieces. It's hard to talk about until then as you have said in the past RF.

I think the bigger concern in your scenario which I will call domesday is that we will have multiple people playing out of position. Also we would have a guard that can't shoot at PG (Howard). Usually when you go 3 guard you give up size and strength but gain shooting to space the floor and quickness. In this scenario we are just smaller and not spacing the floor. The reality is though this is pointless we could add Ayala, Tucker and Wright best case scenario or just add some of those pieces. It's hard to talk about until then as you have said in the past RF.

I hope that Howard gets his shiz together, learns from this year, and works hard to become the player many of us thought he could. All that said, I will feel extremely uncomfortable if we don't add Ayala, and we're forced to roll with a Howard / Washington combo at point. Ayala would give us a LOT of options / versatility.

Just to add to what your saying, Battle is a well built player, and even if we land Tucker I wouldn't be surprised if Battle was a better back line defender/rebounder just based on physicality.

Because he wouldn't be playing at the 2; and I really scratch my head wondering where we are going to come up with 2 guards worthy of playing time if one of them is not Battle?

Because he wouldn't be playing at the 2; and I really scratch my head wondering where we are going to come up with 2 guards worthy of playing time if one of them is not Battle?

No argument with your point, but the rest depends entirely on who we land. We have three open slots to fill.

If we land Ayala and a 5th year transfer who can step in and start at either backcourt spot, it would be an entirely different situation.

But let's just be safe and land Tucker and Ayala, and render it moot.

I'd love to see the Waters run Orange, like when Chicago makes them run green for St Patrick's Day(tm).

Beating a dead horse on this but we are probably his best option to be honest. I don't think KU is going to go get another guard. Graham is going to stay and they have newman who wants to play point. Ind is a mess and duke isn't going to miss on duval.

Edit...KU is going after Allen from Brewster now..no waters

Last edited:
Or he stays true with Georgetown after getting reassurance from the new staff?

Hope Waters doesn't ask him questions about practice.
IMG_6283.GIF

Never gets old, at least to me.

Are we even going after Waters? It would be great if we actually show an interest to try and get Ayala to make a decision on reclassifying or grab Waters who is a good point guard. I'm not holding my breath though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom