Class of 2025 - PG Tyler Jackson (MD) Offered | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 PG Tyler Jackson (MD) Offered

Went to the Peach Jam today. Watched Team Melo play/lose to the Georgia All-Stars. The following are my observations (keep in mind this is only based on one game).

Tyler Jackson - maybe 6 ft Tall (generous/hoping). Definitely an athlete, has great speed with the abilility to achieve/reach different levels of acceleration. Has the ability to handle the ball (although he lost his handle numerous times in the game). Would be a great penetrator if he can hold on to the ball. Did not see him take/make an outside shot in the game. Definitely has the skills but did not handle the ball much in the last half of the game yielding to Kiyan Anthony and the teams other point guard. Not sure his playmaking skills are a strength.

Kiyan Anthony - good shooter, made some really nice assists (2) tonight. Defensive skills kind of lacking. Ball handling/creating his own shot - was given an opportunity to show case these skills in the second half. Created his own shot on occasion but hardly ever got his teammates involved when handling the ball. Remind me (only when he was allowed to show case his ability to create shots) a little of players like Jordan Poole, Reggie Miller and other ball hogs. Does not remind me of his father‘s overall game. Lost the ball on occasion but not as much as Tyler Jackson did. Believe because Carmelo sponsors the team that Kiyan was given a little more leeway in creating his own shot in the second half. Probably rightly so because Carmelo even yelled (from the stands) over to the Team Melo coach to call Time Out for a final play to tie in the closing seconds. The play resulted in Tyler Jackson being stripped of the ball.

I also had the opportunity to watch Sadiq White, Niguel James and London Jeminson play tonight. Comparing Tyler Jackson and Niguel James, I‘m sorry to say that we missed the Niguel James boat. He is way better in this game than Tyler Jackson in his game. Overall was not impressed with Tyler Jackson.

Will say that Anthony and Jackson are close friends, definitely was evident at times in this game.

Last edited:
Went to the Peach Jam today. Watched Team Melo play/lose to the Georgia All-Stars. The following are my observations (keep in mind this is only based on one game).

Tyler Jackson - maybe 6 ft Tall (generous/hoping). Definitely an athlete, has great speed with the abilility to achieve/reach different levels of acceleration. Has the ability to handle the ball (although he lost his handle numerous times in the game). Would be a great penetrator if he can hold on to the ball. Did not see him take/make an outside shot in the game. Definitely has the skills but did not handle the ball much in the last half of the game yielding to Kiyan Anthony and the teams other point guard. Not sure his playmaking skills are a strength.

Kiyan Anthony - good shooter, made some really nice assists (2) tonight. Defensive skills kind of lacking. Ball handling/creating his own shot - was given an opportunity to show case these skills in the second half. Created his own shot on occasion but hardly ever got his teammates involved when handling the ball. Remind me (only when he was allowed to show case his ability to create shots) a little of players like Jordan Poole, Reggie Miller and other ball hogs. Does not remind me of his father‘s overall game. Lost the ball on occasion but not as much as Tyler Jackson did. Believe because Carmelo sponsors the team that Kiyan was given a little more leeway in creating his own shot in the second half. Probably rightly so because Carmelo even yelled (from the stands) over to the Team Melo coach to call Time Out for a final play to tie in the closing seconds. The play resulted in Tyler Jackson being stripped of the ball.

I also had the opportunity to watch Sadiq White, Niguel James and London Jeminson play tonight. Comparing Tyler Jackson and Niguel James, I‘m sorry to say that we missed the Niguel James boat. He is way better in this game than Tyler Jackson in his game. Overall was not impressed with Tyler Jackson.

Will say that Anthony and Jackson are close friends, definitely was evident at times in this game.

Thanks for the recap.

Thanks for the first hand info. are the games open to the public all week?

Thanks for the first hand info. are the games open to the public all week?
The games were from 12 July to 21 July. There were 47 17 yr old teams, 22 16 yr old teams and 17 15 yr old teams. The 17 yr old playoffs are tomorrow and their champsionship games are on Sunday. I was on travel from 11-17 July. Yesterday was the first games I was able to see.

Thanks for the write up, two questions:

1) is this team coached / organized well or is it just a mish mash of players with no real structure?

2) from what you know, is Tyler Jackson’s inability to consistently handle the ball just a bad game or chronic? Is he a lead guard or a combo guard?

We’re missing out on that kid from Albany for Jackson seems like a bummer. But maybe Tyler just had a bad game.

does anyone know if the staff is prioritizing Tyler Jackson over Acaden Lewis in order to Get Kiyan? It needs to me that Kiyan and Tyler Jackson are a bit of a package deal at this point, but Acaden Lewis is the better PG prospect.

I can’t imagine we would get both Acaden and Tyler Jackson, at least without someone being unhappy.

does anyone know if the staff is prioritizing Tyler Jackson over Acaden Lewis in order to Get Kiyan? It needs to me that Kiyan and Tyler Jackson are a bit of a package deal at this point, but Acaden Lewis is the better PG prospect.

I can’t imagine we would get both Acaden and Tyler Jackson, at least without someone being unhappy.
Lewis is option #1.

I don't believe they're a package deal.

I do believe Lewis is our top pg pick.

1) is this team coached / organized well or is it just a mish mash of players with no real structure?

2) from what you know, is Tyler Jackson’s inability to consistently handle the ball just a bad game or chronic? Is he a lead guard or a combo guard?

We’re missing out on that kid from Albany for Jackson seems like a bummer. But maybe Tyler just had a bad game.
Only from my observation in the one game, the team is well coached but has Carmelo on the outside in the bleacher making decisions. Really believe in the second half of the game I watched a conscious decision was made to let Kiyan try to create. Tyler Jackson was on the floor almost the entire game but did not touch the ball that much especially in the second half.

For this well level, there is some structure where the ball on occasion moved to the open man and they had 2-3 good forwards that could score inside Jaitavius Kelly and Jayden Fort had good shots and made things happened in the game I watched. Not taking anything away from Kiyan Anthony but I felt he handled the ball too much in the second half and failed to involve the rest of his team. Team Melo had a small lead going into the second half and lost in the last minute of the game.

According to the overall stats, Tyler Jackson scored 84 points (but only 7 in the game I saw). Outside of the game I saw, he averaged close to 20 points a game. From what I saw (1 game), Tyler has impressive start and go speed, could penetrate, has strength and stamina, and knows how to play. I could see how his speed and aggressiveness on defense will translate to the college level. I view him as a combo guard more than a point guard at this time. If he is 6’2” as advertised, he looks smaller on the court.

While I feel Niguel James has a better handle than Tyler, differences between the teams they play with and offensive strategies definitely played a factor. I saw Niguel James (Expressions Elite) play Sadiq’s team (Team United). His supporting staff (Jayden Harrell, Dwayne Aristode, London Jemison) were way better than Sadiq‘s. Expressions Elite had also better ball movement and offensive sets.

He told some family members earlier this year that he was going to play at Cuse. But what he wants and what will happen are always different. Do you think we can take two PGs?

We took Jonny & Scoop in the same class.

But those were completely different times.

IF a kid like Jackson is OK being PG2 for a season, while whomever the other guy is, is PG1, then maybe it can happen.

But is that even a possibility in the portal & NIL world?

I guess things are going well on the recruiting front when we're debating whether a consensus top50 recruit is a "take" or not.

I think Jackson has tumbled a bit in the rankings for a couple reasons... He's a guy who is very slight, probably about 6 ft and 150lbs. More importantly he's kind of a score first point guard with electric, but precarious, ball handling skills. Can you be loose with the ball, small, and still be a top point guard at the next level?

Jackson produces at a high level against tough competition. His scoring is very solid, and he's among the leaders in steals in the EYBL this season.

I think a kid with his one elite skill (slippery ball handling in traffic) is always a take, but he might not be a perfect fit as a ball dominant scoring point. Some recruiting services tag him as a combo, a dreaded label for a guy his size.

I think he'd be great in orange.

Last edited:
I believe that if we wanted Jackson that badly he would already be Orange. The only other school really recruiting him is Maryland.
Believe that Jackson wants to go 1) where Anthony wants to go and 2 go where he can showcase his skills.

While it is good to have life-long friends starting college together, it may be better to spread your wings and excel on your own.

If it is meant to be then I’m sure that Anthony and Jackson will be good additions for any college team. I just hope Tyler does not tempered his skills and game to accommodate Anthony’s game.

I guess things are going well on the recruiting front when we're debating whether a consensus top50 recruit is a "take" or not.

I think Jackson has tumbled a bit in the rankings for a couple reasons... He's a guy who is very slight, probably about 6 ft and 150lbs. More importantly he's kind of a score first point guard with electric, but precarious, ball handling skills. Can you be loose with the ball, small, and still be a top point guard at the next level?

Jackson produces at a high level against tough competition. His scoring is very solid, and he's among the leaders in steals in the EYBL this season.

I think a kid with his one elite skill (slippery ball handling in traffic) is always a take, but he might not be a perfect fit as a ball dominant scoring point. Some recruiting services tag him as a combo, a dreaded label for a guy his size.

I think he'd be great in orange.
The problem is that he hasnt been producing much this EYBL season and could only play 13 minutes a game for OTE. I dont see him contributing much year 1 and we all know you have to target impact guys because they leave if they dont play. Definitely is a vast improvement in recruiting this year and i trust theyll get the right guys.

100% a combo right now.

He has the size of a point, but hasn't demonstrated the game of lead guard [yet]. His strengths are his scoring and quickness.

His opportunities appear to be playmaking, tightening up his handle, and gaining weight [he's supposedly in the neighborhood of 160 pounds].

Kid doesnt even really handle the ball on his AAU team. Just dont think he is even in the realm of a pg

Kid doesnt even really handle the ball on his AAU team. Just dont think he is even in the realm of a pg

I haven't seen enough of him to form that conclusion definitively -- but he sure sounds a lot like Edwards / Wright.