Positives | Syracusefan.com

Positives

SteveC

Starter
There WERE positives last night.

Terrel Hunt: The majority of his problems were thanks to the Clemson secondary being far (FAR) better than our wide receivers. We DID get to see the extent of Hunts mobility and frankly it was good. He continued to show good pocket awareness and made good decisions to run. Both on option plays and drop backs.

Jerome Smith: Yeah some of our OVER 300 yards on the ground came on a couple big plays but daaamn did you see Rome's speed? At least he was able to break off those big runs, unlike Clemson.

Defensive Line: Idiotic celebrations aside, Bromley was a beast. Our D-line beat their O-line in my opinion. They shut down the run for the majority of the game and were able to get pressure on the QB. I don't know how many sacks we had.. i'd wager 4 or 5? Boyd is a great QB with a quick release. If our line plays like this again, lesser QB's are going to be in a lot of pain.

Oh and Riley Dixon is a beast. i just wish we didn't have to use him so much.

(edit. also this sack my spruill http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=9776397&ex_cid=espnapi_public)

Last edited:
There WERE positives last night.

Terrel Hunt: The majority of his problems were thanks to the Clemson secondary being far (FAR) better than our wide receivers. We DID get to see the extent of Hunts mobility and frankly it was good. He continued to show good pocket awareness and made good decisions to run. Both on option plays and drop backs.

Jerome Smith: Yeah some of our OVER 300 yards on the ground came on a couple big plays but daaamn did you see Rome's speed? At least he was able to break off those big runs, unlike Clemson.

Defensive Line: Idiotic celebrations aside, Bromley was a beast. Our D-line beat their O-line in my opinion. They shut down the run for the majority of the game and were able to get pressure on the QB. I don't know how many sacks we had.. i'd wager 4 or 5? Boyd is a great QB with a quick release. If our line plays like this again, lesser QB's are going to be in a lot of pain.

I have never seen a college group of defenders close as well as Clemson's did. They did mid-play adjustments better than any group I have ever seen. On Jerome, he separated from three Clemson defenders. That was impressive. I do not know how to take the running, most the game we were stuffed. But the three big's plays were perfect plays, great holes, good running. I hope they weren't really Clemson mistakes.

Whenever I hear "positives" after a blowout it reminds me of the scene in the Bad News Bears where Ogilve says something like "we had three foul balls and almost reached first base twice."

Not disagreeing with anything you posted. Just always the first thing that pops into my head.

We could use a "Kelly Leak" showing up for game 6!

Whenever I hear "positives" after a blowout it reminds me of the scene in the Bad News Bears where Ogilve says something like "we had three foul balls and almost reached first base twice."

Not disagreeing with anything you posted. Just always the first thing that pops into my head.

We could use a "Kelly Leak" showing up for game 6!

haha. I just figured it would be good to focus on a few things that actually worked against arguably the best team in the country. I was happy with Broyld too outside of that one huge drop. Had an opportunity to make it a game towards the end of the third.

A little better showing by the offense and it is 35-28 going into the 4th quarter. Or even 35-24. Given where we started that would have been amazing.

A little better showing by the offense and it is 35-28 going into the 4th quarter. Or even 35-24. Given where we started that would have been amazing.

Exactly. The game wasn't the end of the world. Clemson simply has an All American QB with an All American WR. I've never been more impressed by an opposing teams QB. Boyd blows Barkley out of the water.

Agree, thought if they could score to make it 35-21 it would have made it interesting. Obviously Clemson was the superior team but you never know what can happen. Did think SU came out strong in the second half and outplayed them in the third quarter. If nothing else did show some heart.

So disappointed by the play of the DBs this year. Thought this would be the strength of the D. If they can't ever stop the WR screens don't see how they will ever stop decent teams. Conversely our O has trouble gaining a yard on that play.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom