Postgame Thoughts… FSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… FSU

So far this year FSU shoots 37% from 3 as a team???

unbelievable!

still...going 4-30 from 3 and having a chance to tie with last shot shouldnt be happening

this game shoulda been a blowout orange win with FSU shooting like that...

FSU was clueless against the 1-3-1. They matched up their offense with our three wing defenders instead of splitting out front against Joe. Very bad offensive set.

unbelievable!

still...going 4-30 from 3 and having a chance to tie with last shot shouldnt be happening

We went 9-30 and still out scored them by 15 from three. We also outrebounded them 41-40. We didn’t turn it over in the second half to give them easy baskets

FSU was clueless against the 1-3-1. They matched up their offense with our three wing defenders instead of splitting out front against Joe. Very bad offensive set.

I don't know - seemed like they were getting pretty open looks from three. They were coming in at 37% though, so it's not like they're abysmal in that category. Still, with how they were shooting they needed to adjust.

We went 9-30 and still out scored them by 15 from three. We also outrebounded them 41-40. We didn’t turn it over in the second half to give them easy baskets
the double digit lead late in the second half shouldve been extended...not allowed to shrink like that.

The team looks more comfortable in the quasi 1-3-1. They are not running around like maniacs. Also, this defense wouldn't work at all if we didn't have Jesse and Frank back there holding down the fort.
Jimmy's rotations in the 1-3-1 give up a lot of space on his side of the court. a lot. but its better than the 2-3 seemingly.

1638660928403.png

Their inability to hit shots at all helped us out a bit - they couldn't establish pressure. Gave us some time to get JG on track, and then we made some shots. Weird game all around.
To be fair, we couldn’t hit anything in the first half.

overall - i would say the defense showed signs of life.

the wide open dunks were not really a thing this game---which is important.

the 3s were just missed but the defense was better...it can improve more and will.

To be fair, we couldn’t hit anything in the first half.

True - and Buddy was just off today. Weird game all about!

unbelievable!

Well, if you are going to completely ignore our putrid 1st half %, sure.

It is very rare that I feel positive about this team when we are down 10. But I did today. Going to pat myself on the back -- this is what I posted when the score was something like 24-14 IIRC.

"Overall despite the score (and missing way to many good looks) I like the way we are playing.

Our defence is playing well. Florida St is not getting that many good looks and is shooting a low%.

Our offence has been generating a high level of quality looks. Sometimes you get shots and miss them, because the other team is forcing you into tough looks / or you can't generate good looks. We are generating plenty of good looks which is one of the two keys of having a good offensive output -- we are just stinking in that other key.

Of course you have to start hitting them. But the fact that we are missing good looks / rather than creating tough shots is a positive that could indicate a come back is possible.

Or I am drunk and on crack.
"

They didn't match up their offense like that because they weren't playing against a 1-3-1. That's a tandem 2-3 with just about the same rotations as the straight-up JB 2-3. The 1 on the top never chased, and neither did the 1 at the bottom - because it wasn't 1-3-1.

Well, if you are going to completely ignore our putrid 1st half %, sure.
up 11 with 5 minutes to play?

that should be "step on neck time" not "turtle in shell time"

besides, they average 23 more points per game than FSU scored...

to me that game shoudlnt have come down to 2 last second misses to survive.

FSU deserved to lose slightly more than SU deserved to win imo...(still a deserved win but FSU laid a stinker!)

They didn't match up their offense like that because they weren't playing against a 1-3-1. That's a tandem 2-3 with just about the same rotations as the straight-up JB 2-3. The 1 on the top never chased, and neither did the 1 at the bottom - because it wasn't 1-3-1.
You still need to split the top and not stand next to the three wing players on defense and they did it the entire second half. Brutal coaching on Leonard’s part.

I’ll take the win, but FSU was terrible. Awful. Offensive sets were brutal and do they not realize we can’t rebound? They sent NOBODY to the offensive glass. We got more uncontested defensive rebounds tonight than we got all season long….total!

Buddy was way off tonight. Give credit to Joe, he was really good. Sy played very well, really moved the ball quickly to open guys. Love seeing that.

We have our 7.5.

Oh and the announcer said all game long..”I’ve never seen Syracuse ever play at a 1-3-1.”…might want to watch the Indiana game tape …

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom