Postgame Thoughts… FSU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… FSU

We were trying to foul late? Looked like it. Dude had a WIDE open look. Fitting he missed but come on. Execute better. Who cares if he’s been 2-100 on the year.
cole fouled the guy at half court with 2 to 3seconds left the refs didnt call it

You still need to split the top and not stand next to the three wing players on defense and they did it the entire second half. Brutal coaching on Leonard’s part.
No debate there, hoops. JB took away the high post entry and FSU had no counter. It's almost as if they spent all their practice time getting ready to beat the 2-3 in the traditional way and didn't know how to adjust. That, plus pathetic shooting.

cole fouled the guy at half court with 2 to 3seconds left the refs didnt call it
I think he then complained to the ref instead of getting back, but it all worked out.

I think he then complained to the ref instead of getting back, but it all worked out.
he is a complainer, at some point this year he is getting a frustration t

I’ll take the win, but FSU was terrible. Awful. Offensive sets were brutal and do they not realize we can’t rebound? They sent NOBODY to the offensive glass. We got more uncontested defensive rebounds tonight than we got all season long….total!

Buddy was way off tonight. Give credit to Joe, he was really good. Sy played very well, really moved the ball quickly to open guys. Love seeing that.

We have our 7.5.

Oh and the announcer said all game long..”I’ve never seen Syracuse ever play at a 1-3-1.”…might want to watch the Game Indiana game tape …
The next insightful in game comment from Alexander will be his first. The play-by-play guy tried to bail him out by telling him JB had morphed the top of the 2-3. It wasn't a 1-3-1. But it was the same tweak JB used in the IU game

Swider had a couple of nice stretches. Girard had a couple of nice stretches. Jimmy had a couple nice stretches. Buddy didn’t have a single nice stretch. But we still won.
Yup but Buddy had a great pass!;)

It is very rare that I feel positive about this team when we are down 10. But I did today. Going to pat myself on the back -- this is what I posted when the score was something like 24-14 IIRC.

"Overall despite the score (and missing way to many good looks) I like the way we are playing.

Our defence is playing well. Florida St is not getting that many good looks and is shooting a low%.

Our offence has been generating a high level of quality looks. Sometimes you get shots and miss them, because the other team is forcing you into tough looks / or you can't generate good looks. We are generating plenty of good looks which is one of the two keys of having a good offensive output -- we are just stinking in that other key.

Of course you have to start hitting them. But the fact that we are missing good looks / rather than creating tough shots is a positive that could indicate a come back is possible.

Or I am drunk and on crack.
"
Had the same vibe. I thought FSUs offensive approach was terrible. If we could just make shots, we’d have a chance.

A few thoughts as I sit here ecstatic
-we don’t win this game without Joe hitting open jumpers. Perhaps why I find him incredibly frustrating is because if he just played within himself he would be such a huge weapon. Nobody on our team hits open shots like he does. But when he dribbles below the foul line bad things usually follow.
-I thought Symir was a big factor today. In the first half Joe couldn’t get the ball over half court and sometimes could not get open at all so buddy and Jimmy had to get the ball up which is not good for a number of reasons. Symir came in and did a nice job getting the ball up against pressure in finding the open men. I just wish she could shoot his shot just is so flawed.
-Cole showed some serious stones when he winked at the bench and then calmly drained those two big free throws. For the second game in a row he hit some critical threes late. It is clearly evident how invested he is and I’m surprised he is not more popular on this board. His 10 rebounds were critical and I actually thought he did a better job today boxing out and that the rebounds were not just lucky ones.
-Jesse forced things early but was great in the second half. Obviously fouls continue to be a problem when he brings his arms down. Still I felt like we did not get the ball to him enough and credit Joe for seeking him out later in the game. I wish Buddy had done the same when he was struggling to get open.
-JB took yet another shot at Benny after the game. I didn’t hear him complain about Buddy’s performance. How that helps anything I have no idea. I know it is absurd but count me among the fand to wonder if Benny would be better if he did not have his hair hanging in front of his eyes.
-Great win as I expect this win to be even better as the season goes along and Florida State inevitably improves as they seem to more often than not. They have too many athletes not to get better.

Last edited:
I know this isnt the same FSU team. But after we lost to VCU we were 2-2. Since then we’ve beaten AZ State, Indiana and FSU. Really good bounce back.

By the way Indiana is 7-1 and if they beat Wisconsin Wednesday they have a real shot to go into OSU on 1/6 at 13-1

How can that happen ? Coach didn’t even notice ? My own internal clock told me that seemed way too quick

Your guess is as good as mine.

We were trying to foul late? Looked like it. Dude had a WIDE open look. Fitting he missed but come on. Execute better. Who cares if he’s been 2-100 on the year.
Yeah...it is usually the 2-100 guys that burn us!

FSU was clueless against the 1-3-1. They matched up their offense with our three wing defenders instead of splitting out front against Joe. Very bad offensive set.
They even called an early timeout to discuss it. Thought they would for sure come out with an adjustment, especially after we ran this against Indiana in the last game.

Again….. a win by any means necessary. Especially with such an off Buddy game.

This will technically go down as another example of how we win games after leading by x with x minutes left, but…

…littttttle concerning how we’ve closed these games.

Huge free throws by Cole.

Edwards has been incredible.

FSU was predicted second? Yikes. Not the same team this year like past years. If that’s the case, we should be able to get to at least 10-10 in the acc.
Swider came up big with the FT’s and hitting the 3’s in the 2nd half

overall - i would say the defense showed signs of life.
the wide open dunks were not really a thing this game---which is important.

the 3s were just missed but the defense was better...it can improve more and will.
Except for the 7’4 freak

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom