Postgame Thoughts… FSU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… FSU

overall - i would say the defense showed signs of life.

Except for the 7’4 freak
3 for 3. six points. 4 boards.

in any other game this year he goes off and has a career high.

to me only a couple wide open dunks is containment ;lol

3 for 3. six points. 4 boards.

in any other game this year he goes off and has a career high.

to me only a couple wide open dunks is containment ;lol
Oh I thought I commented on the post about wide open dunks lol. I think we did fine with him. Jesse got called on some boo boo calls. Frank has room to grow. I’m honestly really glad the 7’2 senior was out. If 7’4 nobody can sneak in and get a couple. Whew. Did he get any blocks tonight?

Co
Again….. a win by any means necessary. Especially with such an off Buddy game.

This will technically go down as another example of how we win games after leading by x with x minutes left, but…

…littttttle concerning how we’ve closed these games.

Huge free throws by Cole.

Edwards has been incredible.

FSU was predicted second? Yikes. Not the same team this year like past years. If that’s the case, we should be able to get to at least 10-10 in the acc.
cole also on the boards today especially after edwards went out. Was very nice to see.

ya Benny might have a good game here and there but meaningful mins arent ( and shouldn’t be) in his immediate future. Symir earned PT imo with his play today
I agree with you on Symir. The Benny situation is a mystery for a 5 star but I honestly think he has to have a game where he hits a couple of baskets and gets going. I understand the reason for so few minutes, especially in a tough game like today but I wish JB would stop with the negative comments in the press conferences. It does nothing for the player's confidence. We need Benny to provide us solid backup minutes at the forward spot.

the double digit lead late in the second half shouldve been extended...not allowed to shrink like that.
Syracuse used a lot of energy to get the lead and expand it without hardly any help from the bench

Not to mention every ball that went out of bounds was awarded to FSU .. must be a new rule
there was some point in the 2nd half I was asking the same question to myself?

It is very rare that I feel positive about this team when we are down 10. But I did today. Going to pat myself on the back -- this is what I posted when the score was something like 24-14 IIRC.

"Overall despite the score (and missing way to many good looks) I like the way we are playing.

Our defence is playing well. Florida St is not getting that many good looks and is shooting a low%.

Our offence has been generating a high level of quality looks. Sometimes you get shots and miss them, because the other team is forcing you into tough looks / or you can't generate good looks. We are generating plenty of good looks which is one of the two keys of having a good offensive output -- we are just stinking in that other key.

Of course you have to start hitting them. But the fact that we are missing good looks / rather than creating tough shots is a positive that could indicate a come back is possible.

Or I am drunk and on crack.
"
I completely agree. I felt Cuse looked more than competitive in the first 10.. getting rebounds and playing D- they looked, dare I say, athletic. I wasn’t expecting a W but I thought Cuse might hang in there.

Edwards is a stud and it was great to see Swider get it going a bit.

On an unrelated note, Alabama is smoking Gonzaga at the half, and the SEC apparently dominates both major sports right now.

A few thoughts as I sit here ecstatic
-we don’t win this game without Joe hitting open jumpers. Perhaps why I find him incredibly frustrating is because if he just played within himself he would be such a huge weapon. Nobody on our team hits open shots like he does. But when he dribbles below the foul line bad things usually follow.
-I thought Symir was a big factor today. In the first half Joe couldn’t get the ball over half court and sometimes could not get open at all so buddy and Jimmy had to get the ball up which is not good for a number of reasons. Symir came in and did a nice job getting the ball up against pressure in finding the open men. I just wish she could shoot his shot just is so flawed.
-Cole showed some serious stones when he winked at the bench and then calmly drained those two big free throws. For the second game in a row he hit some critical threes late. It is clearly evident how invested he is and I’m surprised he is not more popular on this board. His 10 rebounds were critical and I actually thought he did a better job today boxing out and that the rebounds were not just lucky ones.
-Jesse forced things early but was great in the second half. Obviously fouls continue to be a problem when he brings his arms down. Still I felt like we did not get the ball to him enough and credit Joe for seeking him out later in the game. I wish Buddy had done the same when he was struggling to get open.
-JB took yet another shot at Benny after the game. I didn’t hear him complain about Buddy’s performance. How that helps anything I have no idea. I know it is absurd but count me among the fand to wonder if Benny would be better if he did not have his hair hanging in front of his eyes.
-Great win as I expect this win to be even better as the season goes along and Florida State inevitably improves as they seem to more often than not. They have too many athletes not to get better.
If Benny was playing lights-out, maybe I wouldn't wonder same thing.
Why anybody would play with thick strands of hair hanging in front of their eyeballs is beyond me.
Other players with that hairstyle appear to keep it away from their eyes.
Can't stop focusing on the lack of focus Benny's hair must create!

The 2 kids calling the game on WAER calling our new defense the 1-1-3 all game made me laugh.

So far this year FSU shoots 37% from 3 as a team???

unbelievable!

still...going 4-30 from 3 and having a chance to tie with last shot shouldnt be happening

this game shoulda been a blowout orange win with FSU shooting like that...
A win is a win. Can we just enjoy it without the caveats and baggage attached?

Syracuse used a lot of energy to get the lead and expand it without hardly any help from the bench
true...unsure of how much that played into the end game...but its the same story year after year...(check my screen name)...its by design. and i dont like it ftr

they switch up strategy and go turtle mode in those situations and it leads to way more uncertainty than necessary imo

up 11 with 5 minutes to play?

that should be "step on neck time" not "turtle in shell time"

besides, they average 23 more points per game than FSU scored...

to me that game shoudlnt have come down to 2 last second misses to survive.

FSU deserved to lose slightly more than SU deserved to win imo...(still a deserved win but FSU laid a stinker!)
It seems to always end up that way, just hold on and pray

Edwards is a stud and it was great to see Swider get it going a bit.

On an unrelated note, Alabama is smoking Gonzaga at the half, and the SEC apparently dominates both major sports right now.
$$$

This is what JB does. Right when you think we’re done, he comes back with two great wins. He’s been doing it for years. I thought it was funny as hell during last time out, he told Smir to shut up about three times. Smir must have had an excuse for something.

Yep, he’s like Lloyd Christmas when he traded the van for that mini-bike.

They didn't match up their offense like that because they weren't playing against a 1-3-1. That's a tandem 2-3 with just about the same rotations as the straight-up JB 2-3. The 1 on the top never chased, and neither did the 1 at the bottom - because it wasn't 1-3-1.

Good points.

A team with three shooters would demolish this, but I've been tough on JB for the repetitive 2-3 zone so I'll readily congratulate and say the "nuance" has been valuable.

One odd benefit is that it allows our C to remain largely in rebounding position rather than outrageously chasing shooters in the corner...

Good win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom