Postgame Thoughts… Miami | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Miami

So joe took it to the basket knowing the idiot would attempt to block his and thus set up the remote possibility of a 5 point play .

Or

Joe figured no way that dude even contests this.
I can get two free garbage points with minimum effort
Or... Joe did precisely what he did 8 seconds earlier: go to the rim, take the 2, foul quickly and hope they miss one. He's not the headiest player -- as witnessed by saving a ball in Miami's end for no apparent reason -- so Occam's Razor suggests he just did what he's supposed to do and didn't really compute that there was 1 second left.

Or... Joe did precisely what he did 8 seconds earlier: go to the rim, take the 2, foul quickly and hope they miss one. He's not the headiest player -- as witnessed by saving a ball in Miami's end for no apparent reason -- so Occam's Razor suggests he just did what he's supposed to do and didn't really compute that there was 1 second left.

After losing like that, he's not thinking about cheap stat padding, I think it's crazy talk but it's crazy talk that I expect

Judah showed his inexperience and youth. It was a tough and expensive learning experience for him. I think Boeheim left him in to see what he could do... and frankly hoping Mintz could pull of one of his crazy shots and maybe get fouled. With that said, he had trouble all game... whether it was bringing the ball up the court or driving through the middle. He has to be smarter. Bringing it up, he just needs a relief valve when he gets covered tightly or doubled. The young guys sometimes like to show the defense who's boss by dribbling. However, it is a waste of energy. Just pass off to someone! Easy pass to an open guy, get over the line, then take it on the point again. He is a PG and needs to pass more.

Would make more sense to hit a three and hope some idiot fouls you. Taking it to the basket ensures that you have zero chance

Like when we had an “altercation” with Seton Hall at the Garden and then took a close game and beat them by 20?

Some teams and athletes thrive when things get heated. We often used to. Not anymore.

You seem to think an “altercation” has to equal “losing control”.

I guess guys who have spent their whole lives not outside, and playing organized AAU tourneys may not know how to handle themselves without losing their minds, so maybe it is best everyone just leaves it alone and takes it.
Yes, I’m sure that Syracuse would’ve really taken Miami to the woodshed considering the game was over, great example.

How many teams in the top 15 do you see throwing punches, getting into peoples faces and jawing? Having watched quite a bit of top 25 basketball the last couple weeks I can tell you it’s nearly 0. Basketball is different, get with the times.

I’m gonna push back on that. He’s confident. I am sure he wanted to feel he contributed to a win. Poor decision, to be sure. Joe was the play there.
Hopefully, he learns.
I am actually more enthusiastic after this game than almost any other game.

That may be too.
One could even say that he's over confident.
In either case it hurts the team and I hope he learns from it.

Why did JG3 save that ball?

Yes, I’m sure that Syracuse would’ve really taken Miami to the woodshed considering the game was over, great example.

How many teams in the top 15 do you see throwing punches, getting into peoples faces and jawing? Having watched quite a bit of top 25 basketball the last couple weeks I can tell you it’s nearly 0. Basketball is different, get with the times.
You continue to intentionally misinterpret what I’m saying.

What response? You wanted to Joe to take a bite out of his thigh so he gets ejected for the next game?
No. Get up and make a scene, so maybe the Miami guy sits out the next game, and maybe the next team doesn’t unnecessarily put him on his back.

Syracuse would have won if Joe had not saved a ball for Miami and give Miami an easy two points.

Would make more sense to hit a three and hope some idiot fouls you. Taking it to the basket ensures that you have zero chance
You're more likely to get fouled on a 2 point shot. But whatever, i'm sure you're annihilating people in men's leagues for not following the code rawr

No. Not in my opinion. He blocked the shot with a ton of body contact.

In the game, that’s a normal foul. He went for the ball and got it.

When it happens at the buzzer in a 4 point game….it’s completely unnecessary. But he can do it if he wants, but he’s gotta deal with the response. Which was nothing. So….he wins. Well played.

I agree with your broader point but the one part I don’t is that if Joe is going to keep playing then the Miami guy should keep playing. I’d want our guys to do the same.

As you mentioned, our guys don’t have that mindset anymore. I can think of plenty of bigs that have worn Orange who would protect the rim and see food in that situation. Or at the very least would have run over to help their guy up and done the token no look bump or off hand forearm clear out to the Miami guy on the way over.

It’s just another example of us not being the program we used to be.

I didn’t get to watch too much but I saw the W T F save

Judah showed his inexperience and youth. It was a tough and expensive learning experience for him. I think Boeheim left him in to see what he could do... and frankly hoping Mintz could pull of one of his crazy shots and maybe get fouled. With that said, he had trouble all game... whether it was bringing the ball up the court or driving through the middle. He has to be smarter. Bringing it up, he just needs a relief valve when he gets covered tightly or doubled. The young guys sometimes like to show the defense who's boss by dribbling. However, it is a waste of energy. Just pass off to someone! Easy pass to an open guy, get over the line, then take it on the point again. He is a PG and needs to pass more.
JB said what the play actually was in his press conference. He said Mintz was supposed to get the ball to Joe but Judah didn’t wait long enough for Joe to finish his curl up top. JB said the play took a little longer than Mintz anticipated. So there was a plan, a play not just throwing Mintz out there hoping he’d take a crazy shot or wild drive.

I didn't say what he did made the most sense. I said it was more likely his thought process than the two things you suggested.

Joe saving that ball was literally the only time we grabbed the ball in the last 4 minutes after Miami missed. I had a bigger issue with Edwards and company lack of rebounding. I really think Maliq needs to be in the game when we are protecting a lead because the other 3 forwards are Incapable of grabbing the ball off the backboard.

Syracuse would have won if Joe had not saved a ball for Miami and give Miami an easy two points.
I could be wrong but I thought that ball was off Miami to begin with.

I could be wrong but I thought that ball was off Miami to begin with.
The way the officials called that game I 100% thought it would have been Miami ball had it gone out of bounds.

Personally I think our odds of winning would have really been in our favor if we could have won just 2 of the defensive rebounds where we had 2 players against that Omier who not only corralled the offensive rebound for a score but also was fouled.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom