Postgame Thoughts… Miami | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Miami

I did not wonder about that so much as wondering why Joe stopped trying to abuse him. Did the player change tactics? Did someone ask Joe to do things differently? Did Joe get tired and settle for jumpers, etc?

Totally agree people would lose their minds if JB had done the same in that scenario.

They switched defenders. It’s in the larranaga interview posted here someplace. Went with a bigger guy.

They switched defenders. It’s in the larranaga interview posted here someplace. Went with a bigger guy.
I recall him abusing both the smaller and the taller guy. Then, at some point he wasn't trying to back anyone down. Could be wrong.

I did not wonder about that so much as wondering why Joe stopped trying to abuse him. Did the player change tactics? Did someone ask Joe to do things differently? Did Joe get tired and settle for jumpers, etc?

Totally agree people would lose their minds if JB had done the same in that scenario.

Larranaga isn't a moron, so he switched the smurf out from guarding JGIII, and put a bigger dude on him.

That's why Joe couldn't keep using the "Buddy back-down" in the 2nd half of the 2nd half.

The problem then was - whomever the smurf WAS guarding, shoulda been eating his lunch in the paint, but for whatever reason, we didn't do that.

Larranaga isn't a moron, so he switched the smurf out from guarding JGIII, and put a bigger dude on him.

That's why Joe couldn't keep using the "Buddy back-down" in the 2nd half of the 2nd half.

The problem then was - whomever the smurf WAS guarding, shoulda been eating his lunch in the paint, but for whatever reason, we didn't do that.

Actually, I think Miami switched who was guarding him twice. Once from the smurf to a normal sized guard, and then to the 6-5 wing man. The third defender is what finally took away that back down game for Joe.

The next day thinking about this game in the grand scheme of things...

The goal of the season is to continue to improve every game. There was a span in the game yesterday which was the best we played all season vs a top 25 team. That's a positive.

The negatives are obviously we lost and ultimately the improvement might lead to nothing if we don't get in the tourney and the major parts of the team leave after the season...but that was the known issue with the build of this team going into the season..

So, yeah, this is Syracuse basketball for the near future until there is a change or by some miracle a bunch of players return next year
Yeah, I agree but like you state, I don't really care about improvement if we don't make the ncaa tournament OR if we return everyone for another go at it.

I was also thinking that very likely, we aren't going to get in the tournament and will be faced having to win the ACC tourney to get in. While I don't prefer that proposition, I wouldn't count this team out of doing such a thing if that improvement continues to happen. We're clearly a good team - so, let's beat Duke, UNC, and Virginia so we don't need a hail mary.

You're more likely to get fouled on a 2 point shot. But whatever, i'm sure you're annihilating people in men's leagues for not following the code rawr
I’m too old to play pick up. People take that crap way too seriously. I can’t afford to get hurt because some hero guy thinks he’s morant when he’s actually moron

The idea that Joe has good "Basketball IQ" needs to be retired indefinitely.
Never been a more polarizing player than joe. The crazy thing is in the very same game, people are very divided by his performance…. Let alone variance between games.

Seems like in a ridiculously high percentage of possessions, he either scores or makes a play that directly results in us getting scored on

Seems like in a ridiculously high percentage of possessions, he either scores or makes a play that directly results in us getting scored on

This encapsulates my feelings well. Jesse is creeping into this category too.

It seems like on D, much of the time, a 3 is getting drilled from his area of the zone. Either him or from Bell's area. He approaches the shooter in a passive way, as if his approach won't affect the outcome. This kind of D effort bugs me. I do not chalk it up to laziness, but perhaps he is reserving energy for the offensive side of the game, or perhaps he thinks it won't affect the outcome.

On offense, yes he had the 3 bad games, and was pilloried for it, but overall is amazing. The overall movement does stagnate when he is 'looking for his shot'. But, most of the time, he is having a very positive impact on the O.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, I have to appreciate them both for being true to SU.

That last picture.

Huey, Dewey and Louie all together and not one of the three could out battle a thick 6’ 7“ guy
It’s what the zone breeds. No block out responsibilities . Guys just stand under the rim and hope the ball comes to them. One would think even in a zone one could simply box out a guy nearest them, yet it doesn’t seem to work this way despite 30 different teams over 30 different years

The problem is our smurf guard is the only guy on the team with a back to the basket game.

I’m too old to play pick up. People take that crap way too seriously. I can’t afford to get hurt because some hero guy thinks he’s morant when he’s actually moron
i'm with you there. not going to work with a black eye. i want men's leagues with 2000 dollar deposits that you get back if you're not violent. weed people out

People get crazy. I stopped playing when a buddy of mine got a tooth knocked out: near the top of the key. I just went to the sidelines, grabbed my stuff, and left.

I used to play pickup all the dang time. When I was a kid, I would go to Thornden Park to play. At SU, I played with some of the Cuse football and basketball players. As an adult, living in Denver, we had some great pickup games as well.

At the parks, there was always one jabroni who looked like he came outta Attica fouling everyone and calling everything a foul.

I stopped too early. Maybe in my early 30s. Man, I loved it. In my mid 40s, I tried a basic, basic flip into a pool. First time in a decade maybe. Man, my body felt like it had been hit with buckshot. It hurt so bad.

Now, basically everything hurts!

I used to play pickup all the dang time. When I was a kid, I would go to Thornden Park to play. At SU, I played with some of the Cuse football and basketball players. As an adult, living in Denver, we had some great pickup games as well.

At the parks, there was always one jabroni who looked like he came outta Attica fouling everyone and calling everything a foul.

I stopped too early. Maybe in my early 30s. Man, I loved it. In my mid 40s, I tried a basic, basic flip into a pool. First time in a decade maybe. Man, my body felt like it had been hit with buckshot. It hurt so bad.

It’s a business decision. There’s just too many yahoos with nothing to lose playing in these games like it’s game 7

This encapsulates my feelings well. Jesse is creeping into this category too.

It seems like on D, much of the time, a 3 is getting drilled from his area of the zone. Either him or from Bell's area. He approaches the shooter in a passive way, as if his approach won't affect the outcome. This kind of D effort bugs me. I do not chalk it up to laziness, but perhaps he is reserving energy for the offensive side of the game, or perhaps he thinks it won't affect the outcome.

On offense, yes he had the 3 bad games, and was pilloried for it, but overall is amazing. The overall movement does stagnate when he is 'looking for his shot'. But, most of the time, he is having a very positive impact on the O.

Anyhow, at the end of the day, I have to appreciate them both for being true to SU.
jesse becomes super passive in foul trouble...thats why he isnt fouling out this year. which sometimes hurts a lot in crunch time. in that mode, he's basically an extremely tall traffic cone. Generally, I think he is just following orders on D - "very algorithmic", if you will - and as such, he doesnt react to what's happening on the court well sometimes. i.e. giving up a pass for easy dunk or not covering a wide open shooter in front of him. still, his skillset is very good so usually has a positive impact out there...

on offense - he's great and I think if he can work on his passing he can take his game (and really the team's offense to the next level)...gotta be ready to make the next team that doubles him pay for it...(and that goes for everyone, really )

I guess it's not just us:

No call and no response from teammates it looks like.
it happens too much and with too much regularity for me to beleive it is simply incompetence...I think the refs call games to increase the odds of buzzer beaters and "last second magic"...cuz thats what NCAA wants in March Madness...

I think they usually favor the bluebloods and home teams and then if it is an underdog they give them the calls or if the spread gets beaten too bad they swing back and try to narrow the lead in any game, basically. for instance, vs miami, as soon as the cuse had a 10 point lead in the second half, the refs chimed in on miami's side pretty strongly imo...

I'd love to see data on how many calls are whistled for the team that's winning/vs the team that's losing...i'd bet anything it isn't random...and definitely favors the losing team (especially the bigger the lead)

I play pickup 2-5 times per week and I turn 54 in March. I play in 4-5 different runs. I’m mostly selective about who I play with because I’m old and travel for work. I stay away from the runs with the idiots for sure. We regulate ourselves pretty well up here. Gentlemen’s rules, even when we’re lucky enough to have some of the former UVM lady cats join us.

Outdoors in the summer are a little more tricky because you’ve got the occasional randos who don’t know the game and have limited body control. That’s when I sit out and get next.

I play pickup 2-5 times per week and I turn 54 in March. I play in 4-5 different runs. I’m mostly selective about who I play with because I’m old and travel for work. I stay away from the runs with the idiots for sure. We regulate ourselves pretty well up here. Gentlemen’s rules, even when we’re lucky enough to have some of the former UVM lady cats join us.

Outdoors in the summer are a little more tricky because you’ve got the occasional randos who don’t know the game and have limited body control. That’s when I sit out and get next.
I hate when you talk about your age...

it happens too much and with too much regularity for me to beleive it is simply incompetence...I think the refs call games to increase the odds of buzzer beaters and "last second magic"...cuz thats what NCAA wants in March Madness...

I think they usually favor the bluebloods and home teams and then if it is an underdog they give them the calls or if the spread gets beaten too bad they swing back and try to narrow the lead in any game, basically. for instance, vs miami, as soon as the cuse had a 10 point lead in the second half, the refs chimed in on miami's side pretty strongly imo...

I'd love to see data on how many calls are whistled for the team that's winning/vs the team that's losing...i'd bet anything it isn't random...and definitely favors the losing team (especially the bigger the lead)

I was going to link a study on officiating bias in college football and I actually found a different one. Look at this gem from the results section:

As with the game-level effects, the ACC shows more evidence of bias in its team-level effects than the other
conferences. The ACC results demonstrate bias by penalizing teams with high football prestige less than their low prestige counterparts – a curious finding given the bias against the stronger football programs of the day. One explanation for this would be ACC officials protecting traditionally strong football programs while penalizing the more recently successful more. Supporting this notion, there is evidence of ACC officiating favoritism towards teams that have been in the league longest (founded in 1953) and more frequently flagging teams that are newer to the conference: Georgia Tech (1978), Florida State (1991), University of Miami (2004), Virginia Tech (2004), and Boston College (2005). Current ACC members Pittsburgh, Syracuse, and Louisville were all added after the sample period ended in 2012.

Source: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/303326028_Referee_Analytics_Bias_in_Major_College_Football_Officiating#:~:text=Conferences%20entrust%20college%20football%20referees%20to%20impartially%20officiate,the%20management%20and%20oversight%20of%20college%20football%20referees.

I would loooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee to see this study updated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom