Postgame Thoughts… Miami | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… Miami

Anyone else wonder why Larranaga never switched JG3’s defender who Joe was absolutely abusing? Our crew here would have gone absolutely ballistic with JB , watching one of our players continuously being killed one on one over and over, defensively like that with no adjustments.

Like me he probably thought it was knocked out by Edwards.
Looked like it to me. And Syracuse had numbers (4 on 2), making it a less terrible idea, but it went right to a Miami player.
1673975505874.png

1673975696897.png

Doesn’t matter who knocks the ball out, you never save it in that situation. Unless you throw it to the other basket

Certainly does. If you want to say he should have tried to knock it towards the backcourt, fine. But you don’t just let a ball go out of bounds off your own player and not try to save it. Never seen that before. Just watched it again and without being able to blow it up, still looks to me like Edwards knocked it out.

Anyone else wonder why Larranaga never switched JG3’s defender who Joe was absolutely abusing? Our crew here would have gone absolutely ballistic with JB , watching one of our players continuously being killed one on one over and over, defensively like that with no adjustments.
He did. The second guy jumped at joes head fake like a mini Jesse

Last edited:
Certainly does. If you want to say he should have tried to knock it towards the backcourt, fine. But you don’t just let a ball go out of bounds off your own player and not try to save it. Never seen that before. Just watched it again and without being able to blow it up, still looks to me like Edwards knocked it out.
You don’t save the ball under your basket. Ever. This was taught to us in cyo. Joe was close enough to the basket to take it with him, just like Wong did on the other end.

And especially with your back to the court!

You don’t save the ball under your basket. Ever. This was taught to us in cyo. Joe was close enough to the basket to take it with him, just like Wong did on the other end.

I have no problem with a hustle play trying not to automatically give the ball to Miami.

Making it through 14 pages of this thread this morning was as brutal as watching the last few seconds of the game. That said, I do feel a bit better. Sort of cathartic after a tough loss like this. So with that, thank you ladies and gents. On to GT.

Syracuse would have won if Joe had not saved a ball for Miami and give Miami an easy two points.

You don’t even know that they didn’t score and we got the ball back after a miss. Some of you guys try too hard.

To be clear, I gave Joe the #1 MVP of the game, but here is potentially one of the reasons:

He had to take 21 shots to score 21 points.

If you are an opposing coach and a guy is running up points in that manner, there is a good argument to keep the situation the same.

Even if that dude was getting abused, he was still making Joe work hard. His legs start going from him. I would wager that they are risking the 2 from Joe vs the 3 from Joe.

I'm not knocking Joe, again, I gave him MVP, but I can see why you would just let him cook.

He discussed it during his press conference. Nice job by MW and Syracuse.com to post this article. Here are a few excerpts:

“Joe is not 6-11,’’ Miami coach Jim Larranaga said. “He shouldn’t be able to do that to us, but he’s very clever. He backed Nijel Pack in several times, drew two fouls on him, made both shots. Then he did the same things to Bensley Joseph. He tried to do it throughout the game because he was enjoying a lot of success with it . . . We switched and put Harlond Beverly on him, who’s just a little bigger . . . it made things a little more difficult for him.’’

“He may be the most experienced player in the league,’’ Larranaga said of Girard. “It seems like he’s been there like eight years. He’s as smart as it comes. He just knows how to play the game.’’

I rewound it - he was fouled with time of the clock. Not that that matters, but how do we just go full chump. I'm surprised we didn't join the Miami post-game celebration.
The foul definitely occurred before the final horn.

Dave O'Brien noted it when he made a point of mentioning that the refs were leaving the court.

They should have reviewed the video. Gerard gets 2 free throws. And, there's a slight possibility that they call a flagrant foul. Which may be why they swallowed their whistles.

I know football coaches send tapes of questionable (non)calls to the league office. I wonder if basketball coaches do too.

The foul definitely occurred before the final horn.

Dave O'Brien noted it when he made a point of mentioning that the refs were leaving the court.

They should have reviewed the video. Gerard gets 2 free throws. And, there's a slight possibility that they call a flagrant foul. Which may be why they swallowed their whistles.

I know football coaches send tapes of questionable (non)calls to the league office. I wonder if basketball coaches do too.
I could swear I've see guys shot more than 2 free throws on intentional technical fouls in the act of shooting. In any event, if they called a technical and Joe made 2 free throws and they get the ball out of bounds there is a chance of a foul or a quick shot. Even if they just called a common foul and he makes the FT's, Miami could have thronn the ball away on the inbound.

No, I didn't wonder, I don't worry about other teams coaches or think about my hypothetical reaction to their decisions.

The next day thinking about this game in the grand scheme of things...

The goal of the season is to continue to improve every game. There was a span in the game yesterday which was the best we played all season vs a top 25 team. That's a positive.

The negatives are obviously we lost and ultimately the improvement might lead to nothing if we don't get in the tourney and the major parts of the team leave after the season...but that was the known issue with the build of this team going into the season..

So, yeah, this is Syracuse basketball for the near future until there is a change or by some miracle a bunch of players return next year

Isn’t it usually if you’re under an opponent’s basket, you should never save it? At least that’s what I always heard - never heard anything about never saving a loose ball in an opponent’s entire half court though. Wish any one of our other players had hustled to that side of the court after a loose ball instead of just watching.

Looked like it to me. And Syracuse had numbers (4 on 2), making it a less terrible idea, but it went right to a Miami player.
View attachment 224223

View attachment 224224
We have 3 players ball watching in the 2nd photo. Standing in each others space. After getting beat by 2 dudes for a rebound. What a waste.
Only Justin Taylor is adjusting to the action. Both Miami players are also adjusting to the action.

Sure but he hasn’t been the nasty bully that he’s been in the past.
Also, JB (hopefully) understands the psyche of his kids. I think Bell said JB calling him out inspired him.

I did not wonder about that so much as wondering why Joe stopped trying to abuse him. Did the player change tactics? Did someone ask Joe to do things differently? Did Joe get tired and settle for jumpers, etc?

Totally agree people would lose their minds if JB had done the same in that scenario.

Joe saving that ball was literally the only time we grabbed the ball in the last 4 minutes after Miami missed. I had a bigger issue with Edwards and company lack of rebounding. I really think Maliq needs to be in the game when we are protecting a lead because the other 3 forwards are Incapable of grabbing the ball off the backboard.
when edwards has 4 fouls he goes into a mental shell and plays the game on eggshells...as a shadow of his usual self...its a problem.

that last 4 minutes of non-rebounding was killer

Joe saving that ball was literally the only time we grabbed the ball in the last 4 minutes after Miami missed. I had a bigger issue with Edwards and company lack of rebounding. I really think Maliq needs to be in the game when we are protecting a lead because the other 3 forwards are Incapable of grabbing the ball off the backboard.

At times it looked like we had 3 players touch a rebound and a Miami player would come away with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom