Postgame Thoughts… VCU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Postgame Thoughts… VCU

He didn’t do well with the tight defense either though.
He’s got his issues too but at least he gives our offense a chance to string scoring possessions together. We need tempo and hes the closest we got. Great passers but no athletic ability or agility to get positioning without the ball. We’re too easy to smother with Joe in if he’s not gonna drive

Zero chance of firing.

He’ll leave next year with Buddy.
thats the only explanation that makes any sense for why JB allowed this team to happen.

I know he is still sharp and knows whats going on.

there was a phrase i caught from him in the pre atlantis presser...he said "hopefully" the team can figure it out or something along those lines...but it sounded like he knew they wont.

i reckon hes just enjoying a family season with his boys and thatll be it.

Depressing. No other word needed right now.

I remember thinking to myself after the end of the year what a weird-ass situation we're in where we come off a Sweet 16 year and we could conceivably have had every starter come back plus our top three reserves and instead we wind up with 6 departures, 2 new starters, and 3 new reserves. I mean in the old days, that Sweet 16 team would be thinking about taking the next step towards a championship rather than taking the next step towards establishing their brand. Not saying that it was good or even advisable for everyone to come back but we clearly should have been panicking even more than we were back then.

A new generation of kids who have no loyalty to programs who have never really had loyalty to them is not surprising to me and is not necessarily our coach's fault but if coach can't deal with the new system, then he needs to step aside.

I don't think we win again until we play VCU. I am counting 6 more against better teams than VCU and a 2-9 start.

Baylor - L
Last Place Game - L
IU - L
@FSU - L
Nova- L
@Georgetown- L

Maybe we win one of those games.
Baylor is going to crush the Sun Devils tonight. SU is likely playing Arizona St. tomorrow.

Going out on a losing season, which I truly believe is likely, seems like a horrible way to end a HOF career. But that's what happens when the AD lets the coach call the shots.
Isn’t this what happens to all the greats? Paterno, Bowden to name a few.

This ship has been sinking for years. This team truly is Boeheim playing his way though. The system doesn’t fit the players at all.

He’s got his issues too but at least he gives our offense a chance to string scoring possessions together. We need tempo and hes the closest we got. Great passers but no athletic ability or agility to get positioning without the ball. We’re too easy to smother with Joe in if he’s not gonna drive
It’s easier to say, we’re in trouble

VCU makes you drive from the three-point line, and never doubles you when you do all game long. Post-up is a mess, trailing the driver is a mess. wow, Just mindboggling.

It’s easier to say, we’re in trouble
We are, but the best thing we can do is weather our team with a tough out of conference schedule imo.

Its going to bring losses, bad and expected lossed, but this team needs to grow some plums and mature quickly. Better we lose tonight vs VCU than at home vs BC or Pitt.

Gotta learn and grow now

We are, but the best thing we can do is weather our team with a tough out of conference schedule imo.

Its going to bring losses, bad and expected lossed, but this team needs to grow some plums and mature quickly. Better we lose tonight vs VCU than at home vs BC or Pitt.

Gotta learn and grow now
And if we do both?

How can you be surprised at this? Many of us said this would happen EXACTLY the minute we heard KR was leaving.

Noone knew how bad Swider and Benny would be at least compared to expectations. Swider might have been the most popular near miss I can recall on this board. Even when he was just OK at Villanova people somehow continued to gush about him. Benny same thing since he committed so early I remember before we got Buddy people talked about JB hanging around to coach him he cooled off as a recruit but if his rankings were higher people would have been comparing him to Anthony before he dribbled a ball.

JB didn't want someone better than Joe or Jimmy on the roster and that is why we are (intentionally) thin there.

This is a disaster and it looks like we have 2 more years of it. How does Buddy leave if he regresses this year and can't sniff the NBA?

Isn’t this what happens to all the greats? Paterno, Bowden to name a few.

This ship has been sinking for years. This team truly is Boeheim playing his way though. The system doesn’t fit the players at all.
It is a shame. He's never been liked by anybody but the Syracuse community albeit respected by the coaching community. Certainly not deserved in my opinion. But his legacy now will probably be that of a guy who hung on too long.

PG is an issue, no doubt. Forward depth, also an issue. Athleticism an issue. Ball handling. Ok. But getting dominated by Colgate and VCU ... I mean, no. I didn't see us being this bad.
They lost KR, marek, Q, woody, braswell and AG.
They added jimmy b and swider.

They have made zero adjustments from what they have historically done on offense or defense.

Not sure how ppl didn’t see this coming. Hopefully some of it gets worked out over time but you cannot lose that much talent and not replace it and expect the results with no change to the system.

I remember thinking to myself after the end of the year what a weird-ass situation we're in where we come off a Sweet 16 year and we could conceivably have had every starter come back plus our top three reserves and instead we wind up with 6 departures, 2 new starters, and 3 new reserves. I mean in the old days, that Sweet 16 team would be thinking about taking the next step towards a championship rather than taking the next step towards establishing their brand. Not saying that it was good or even advisable for everyone to come back but we clearly should have been panicking even more than we were back then.

A new generation of kids who have no loyalty to programs who have never really had loyalty to them is not surprising to me and is not necessarily our coach's fault but if coach can't deal with the new system, then he needs to step aside.
the transfers out ...even though they are not shining at their new spots...really start to hit different the worse this team does.

could really use some of those players now...and I feel for them more seeing how bad this version of the team is. they mustve been disgruntled knowing what was going on and thats why they left...at least partially. i wonder how much of it from them was not wanting to be a miracle on buddy and the miracles.

Sorry, with all due respect (and not being snarky), who had high expectations?
Had a buddy of mine refer to this team as “special” and told me and a bunch of our friends we’d be at least a 6 seed come march. they were out there.

Noone knew how bad Swider and Benny would be at least compared to expectations. Swider might have been the most popular near miss I can recall on this board. Even when he was just OK at Villanova people somehow continued to gush about him. Benny same thing since he committed so early I remember before we got Buddy people talked about JB hanging around to coach him he cooled off as a recruit but if his rankings were higher people would have been comparing him to Anthony before he dribbled a ball.

JB didn't want someone better than Joe or Jimmy on the roster and that is why we are (intentionally) thin there.

This is a disaster and it looks like we have 2 more years of it. How does Buddy leave if he regresses this year and can't sniff the NBA?
Now we see why he barely played last year.

PG is an issue, no doubt. Forward depth, also an issue. Athleticism an issue. Ball handling. Ok. But getting dominated by Colgate and VCU ... I mean, no. I didn't see us being this bad.
We all saw Joe has trouble bringing the ball up against pressure last year. But Richmond would come in and bail us out. There's nobody to do that this year. Symir is a better ball handler but teams know they don't need to guard him because he can't shoot a lick. The offense stagnates so he has to go out pretty quickly. The cavalry isn't coming to fix this.

They lost KR, marek, Q, woody, braswell and AG.
They added jimmy b and swider.

They have made zero adjustments from what they have historically done on offense or defense.

Not sure how ppl didn’t see this coming. Hopefully some of it gets worked out over time but you cannot lose that much talent and not replace it and expect the results with no change to the system.
you forgot anselem symir and benny

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom