Preseason Practice... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

While that’s all well and good, I’m not sure what to think of a scout leading with the quality of the facilities and the respect he was shown from the players. I would’ve preferred he actually gave us a tidbit about the talent we have on the team.
The fact an NBA scout was there for some of our practices at all is a great sign.

If we don't have NBA prospects on the team, does he show up?

While that’s all well and good, I’m not sure what to think of a scout leading with the quality of the facilities and the respect he was shown from the players. I would’ve preferred he actually gave us a tidbit about the talent we have on the team.
For me, I appreciate the point the scout is trying to make. It speaks to chemistry and teamwork. The NBA scout seems to be bringing up the value of the Team concept. I would leave it at that since he wasn't discussing talent in that post.

As was already discussed he’s not going to speak on talent level- at least not such that it would be shareable.

Had to be there for Big Donnie, right?
I think we have a bunch of guys besides Freeman that at least need scouting reports.

We have a few that night be draft candidates after this season. Each of them have clear flaws in their game that need to be fixed before they are legit prospects, but several players have NBA attributes.

Have the rules changed such that coaches can talk about verbal commits? Not trying to be that guy but Kline is discussing Womack and the numbers here and not sure if that’s allowed ?
Where does Kline say anything about Womack? The reporter extrapolated his comments with how they could relate to Womack ("one likely example") but he doesn't mention him specifically at all.

Where does Kline say anything about Womack? The reporter extrapolated his comments with how they could relate to Womack ("one likely example") but he doesn't mention him specifically at all.

So it was definitely updated from the original version. That reads much better than the original. Agreed that is harmless as it reads now.

Ok so I will be that guy. Loved seeing the outside touch in what looked like 3 on 3 drills. But no one was contesting the shots? Would love to see some hands in their face on those kind of drills. Anyone who doesn't contest, triggers a set of suicides for the team.

People are crazy if they underestimate Davis. Freeman said that Davis has seen it all in college. That experience is undervalued by some fans. Davis is going to play a major role on this team.

Agreed. I could see him playing 20+ minutes per game, and expect him to average about 8 ppg.

He's good offensively. Very solid.

I'm a huge fan of the third play in that montage.

The Highlander gets the ball straight away to the basket, just outside the three point line, dribbles once and dunks on Majstorovic (who was a little late on the challenge) like he wasn't even there. I wish I knew how to rip a video and make it slow mo.

That is the Highlander we keep getting glimpses of that had me so excited for his potential before last season.

Hopefully he is healthy and we have two very good centers competing for minutes.

Agreed. I could see him playing 20+ minutes per game, and expect him to average about 8 ppg.

He's good offensively. Very solid.
Yep. If/When the rotation gets down to a 7+ rotation I expect Davis to be one of them along with Taylor. Personally I'm once again hoping for a 9-10 man rotation because I think we have that kind of depth.

Ok so I will be that guy. Loved seeing the outside touch in what looked like 3 on 3 drills. But no one was contesting the shots? Would love to see some hands in their face on those kind of drills. Anyone who doesn't contest, triggers a set of suicides for the team.
I think it was an 11 man drill which is a drill designed to practice fast break scoring 3 on 2. The third guy in the picture may have been waiting for an outlet pass to take his turn on the break.

I think it was an 11 man drill which is a drill designed to practice fast break scoring 3 on 2. The third guy in the picture may have been waiting for an outlet pass to take his turn on the break.
Gotcha, that makes sense.

Yep. If/When the rotation gets down to a 7+ rotation I expect Davis to be one of them along with Taylor. Personally I'm once again hoping for a 9-10 man rotation because I think we have that kind of depth.

I agree. There are 8 guys I think are definitely in the rotation all season, assuming health. Carlos, Starling, Bell, Freeman, Lampkin, Taylor, Davis, McLeod.

Any of the other 4 guys could make the rotation. None are projects, all are worthy. But they all have a dog fight for playing time ahead of them because the guys above them are all very good, and all veterans (except Freeman who has NBA talent). Will be very interesting to see how Cuffe, Moore, Westry and Petar look early on and if any can force there way into a rotation without any glaring PT openings.

I agree. There are 8 guys I think are definitely in the rotation all season, assuming health. Carlos, Starling, Bell, Freeman, Lampkin, Taylor, Davis, McLeod.

Any of the other 4 guys could make the rotation. None are projects, all are worthy. But they all have a dog fight for playing time ahead of them because the guys above them are all very good, and all veterans (except Freeman who has NBA talent). Will be very interesting to see how Cuffe, Moore, Westry and Petar look early on and if any can force there way into a rotation without any glaring PT openings.

I would expect that the 7 and 8 spot in the rotation is somewhat fluid from game to game. Probably see 10 or even 11 get on the floor early on then matchups and development (and health) will drive the rest.

Last edited:
I'm a huge fan of the third play in that montage.

The Highlander gets the ball straight away to the basket, just outside the three point line, dribbles once and dunks on Majstorovic (who was a little late on the challenge) like he wasn't even there. I wish I knew how to rip a video and make it slow mo.

That is the Highlander we keep getting glimpses of that had me so excited for his potential before last season.

Hopefully he is healthy and we have two very good centers competing for minutes.
That didn't look like a guy who was recently in a boot. He looked quick. I hope that's the guy we get for a full year. He's a weapon on defense, especially when healthy.

I might have missed it in one of the videos but have we seen any examples of JJ's shot? I hope his shoulder is all healed up.

I might have missed it in one of the videos but have we seen any examples of JJ's shot? I hope his shoulder is all healed up.
I think his shoulder was healed last year, and the problem was bad habit from freshman year when he had to adjust. So he'll probably shoot smoothly in practice but when it comes to games, we'll see if he reverts back to bad habits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom