PSU game right around the corner! Need feedback | Syracusefan.com

PSU game right around the corner! Need feedback

PASyrFan

Walk On
I grew up in Syracuse, but have lived in PA for over 20 years now. I bleed orange & every person in my neighborhood knows it. Nothing but hardcore Nittany Lion fans around me. Without all the offseason changes, I would be more confident that we could beat them. I thought Marrone had us ready to move to the next level. Not sure what to expect now. Nothing negative to say about Shafer, just not sure he's a legit HC.

I need some feedback from people closer to the Program than I am. I was watching a PSU special earlier that was on the Big Ten Channel. It seems PSU's biggest achilles heel will be there depth on the defensive side of the ball. Their starters are solid, but very little depth on the 2nd team. They graduated 2 LBers that combined for well over 200 tackles last year. The NCAA infractions have cut the number of scholarships players they can have, so they are depending on walk-ons for depth. I know we have talented RB's, but I hope our OL can tire out Penn State's DL & backers. We need to pound the rock with everything we have.

PSU's strengths will be a big OL, very good receivers & excellent TE's. They will have a 1st year QB also, so that may neutralize those advantages. Especially, early in the season. They have a very good Defensive End, who many have said is the best in the Big Ten. Another reason why we need to run the ball ASAP. If we fall behind & have to pass, our OL may be in for a long day.

I would love to hear back from some Cuse fans.

First off...What's the secret Cuse fan handshake? ;)

Does PSU move that DE around or is he a blindside de?

I grew up in Syracuse, but have lived in PA for over 20 years now. I bleed orange & every person in my neighborhood knows it. Nothing but hardcore Nittany Lion fans around me. Without all the offseason changes, I would be more confident that we could beat them. I thought Marrone had us ready to move to the next level. Not sure what to expect now. Nothing negative to say about Shafer, just not sure he's a legit HC.

I need some feedback from people closer to the Program than I am. I was watching a PSU special earlier that was on the Big Ten Channel. It seems PSU's biggest achilles heel will be there depth on the defensive side of the ball. Their starters are solid, but very little depth on the 2nd team. They graduated 2 LBers that combined for well over 200 tackles last year. The NCAA infractions have cut the number of scholarships players they can have, so they are depending on walk-ons for depth. I know we have talented RB's, but I hope our OL can tire out Penn State's DL & backers. We need to pound the rock with everything we have.

PSU's strengths will be a big OL, very good receivers & excellent TE's. They will have a 1st year QB also, so that may neutralize those advantages. Especially, early in the season. They have a very good Defensive End, who many have said is the best in the Big Ten. Another reason why we need to run the ball ASAP. If we fall behind & have to pass, our OL may be in for a long day.

Nice try coach O'Brien. The guys who post on this board are way, way too smart to fall for this attempt to get intell. Good luck on 8/31

What part of PA you living in now? If you are in NE PA (Scranton/W-B), I might have some tips for you.

I'm just the opposite of you--grew up in PA; lived in CNY for past 25 years. Grew up as a PSU fan until I moved here and learned the error of my ways. Now I wear orange almost every day just to show my true allegiance to the world.

Go Orange and F Ped State!

My biggest worries are no proven WR who can stretch the field, DEs, right side of OL. I think we are in good shape otherwise to include QB.

my big concern is DE... name of the game is pressure the Qb especially if he is a freshmen make him nervous and get in his head. Maybe out DTS get a nice push and create for the DEs. That is where we have got to feast.

People here seem to have written this off as a win. The reality is PSUs depth issues probably won't be much of a factor in the first game of the year. By mid season, they will be. For some stupid reason, PSU has still recruited well, and IMHO the sanctions haven't impacted them much. Again, mid season probably. But they're still recruiting well, still on TV, still getting love from the TV announcers about how much they have suffered (gag).

This will be a tough game for SU to open with...they are starting a new QB...we are starting a new QB. We probably know more about them going into this game than they do about us.

People here seem to have written this off as a win. The reality is PSUs depth issues probably won't be much of a factor in the first game of the year. By mid season, they will be. For some stupid reason, PSU has still recruited well, and IMHO the sanctions haven't impacted them much. Again, mid season probably. But they're still recruiting well, still on TV, still getting love from the TV announcers about how much they have suffered (gag).

This will be a tough game for SU to open with...they are starting a new QB...we are starting a new QB. We probably know more about them going into this game than they do about us.
Our defense will win this game. Hopefully, we use this opportunity to Savage their new QB.

By the fourth quarter, their lack of depth will be an issue against a deep & hardnosed team like SU. We will not allow them to take a single play off.

Nice try coach O'Brien. The guys who post on this board are way, way too smart to fall for this attempt to get intell. Good luck on 8/31

Beat me to it!

Our defense will win this game. Hopefully, we use this opportunity to Savage their new QB.

By the fourth quarter, their lack of depth will be an issue against a deep & hardnosed team like SU. We will not allow them to take a single play off.

I hope you're right. I just think that depth for them will be like our 2011. It will gradually catch up with them. But they are starting the year with much better players in their starting lineup than we were in 2011...and my guess is most of their starters compare pretty favorably to our starters right now. Hope I'm wrong.

I too am surrounded by Penn State fans. Not one thinks they have a chance to lose to Syracuse but they also know little about Syracuse and think Penn State is full of future stars. However, at met life, kerry collins, kijana carter, and kyle brady are not walking through that door. Tamba Hali and Paul Puzlusni aren't playing either.

Gone are Mauti, Hodges and Hill. In there place are guys that state fans think will be just as good but I don't see it. The only d tackle that is exceptional is Daquan Jones whom we recruited hard. The rest are 20+ lbs too light and 2 years too young. Carson is a good lb but not good enough to carry the entire lb unit. Their secondary is suspect which has been the case at state as long as I've been watching football. In years past the front 7 has been good enough to hide them but again this front 7 isn't one from years past.

The strength of thier offense will be their oline of upperclass vets. Behind them will be a qb stating a game in which they've never seen speed like the SU defense possesses. Zwinik is a 260 battering ram of a rb that just touched 1000 yards last year. Cuse has 5 monsterous dt's to throw at him though. I had one guy telling me Bill Belton will be able to run all over us. Then I actually looked to find Beltons entire season combined was as productive as ptg vs wvu. They think their 1000 yard and 250 yards returning rb's are scary. What are they going to do with our 1200/800 yard returning combo though? State doesn't have great wide recievers, they have 1 singular wide reciever. Aside from Robinson no one at wr is scary in the least. And what of thier stud TE'S? None were even as productive as Beckett Wales last year. Yes they are tall, no they are not playing against B1G lb's that they will be able to run away from.

I hope this helps. The more I hear misguided confidence from Penn State fans, the more convinced I am that Syracuse will win. I don't blame penn state fans for not knowing who Dyshawn Davis and co are yet but in a few weeks they'll know all too well.

I hope you're right. I just think that depth for them will be like our 2011. It will gradually catch up with them. But they are starting the year with much better players in their starting lineup than we were in 2011...and my guess is most of their starters compare pretty favorably to our starters right now. Hope I'm wrong.
Understood, but most successful teams rotate their DL and LB over the course of each game. This is especially important when you're playing against a very physical, up-tempo offense that might run as many as 85 plays a game. If Ped St can't do this due to depth issues, their defense will be gassed by the 4th quarter.

Understood, but most successful teams rotate their DL and LB over the course of each game. This is especially important when you're playing against a very physical, up-tempo offense that might run as many as 85 plays a game. If Ped St can't do this due to depth issues, their defense will be gassed by the 4th quarter.

For this reason I wish we were playing this game in the Dome. Gassed, cramps, hot as hell, hostile environment- the epitome of Locked in the Dome.

I too am surrounded by Penn State fans. Not one thinks they have a chance to lose to Syracuse but they also know little about Syracuse and think Penn State is full of future stars. However, at met life, kerry collins, kijana carter, and kyle brady are not walking through that door. Tamba Hali and Paul Puzlusni aren't playing either.

Gone are Mauti, Hodges and Hill. In there place are guys that state fans think will be just as good but I don't see it. The only d tackle that is exceptional is Jarron Jones whom we recruited hard. The rest are 20+ lbs too light and 2 years too young. Carson is a good lb but not good enough to carry the entire lb unit. Their secondary is suspect which has been the case at state as long as I've been watching football. In years past the front 7 has been good enough to hide them but again this front 7 isn't one from years past.

The strength of thier offense will be their oline of upperclass vets. Behind them will be a qb stating a game in which they've never seen speed like the SU defense possesses. Zwinik is a 260 battering ram of a rb that just touched 1000 yards last year. Cuse has 5 monsterous dt's to throw at him though. I had one guy telling me Bill Belton will be able to run all over us. Then I actually looked to find Beltons entire season combined was as productive as ptg vs wvu. They think their 1000 yard and 250 yards returning rb's are scary. What are they going to do with our 1200/800 yard returning combo though? State doesn't have great wide recievers, they have 1 singular wide reciever. Aside from Robinson no one at wr is scary in the least. And what of thier stud TE'S? None were even as productive as Beckett Wales last year. Yes they are tall, no they are not playing against B1G lb's that they will be able to run away from.

I hope this helps. The more I hear misguided confidence from Penn State fans, the more convinced I am that Syracuse will win. I don't blame penn state fans for not knowing who Dyshawn Davis and co are yet but in a few weeks they'll know all too well.
Are Ped St fans as delusional as reported? One would think that since Jim Jones, I mean Joe Paterno has left the building and in the mist of the scandal, that most of these zombies would have awakened by now.

Great point. I would try to run the Ped State D into the ground. Hurry up, physical offense. Both Foy and Robinson are much better run blockers than pass blockers. Use the strength of Rome and PTG, and when they get gassed hand the keys to Run DMC and GMII. Hopefully it will be 85 degrees at Metlife. Come the 3rd quarter those gains from Rome that previously went for 4-5 yards will be 8-10 yard chunks. Mix in some play action and I think we may have something. That would be the way to exploit their depth issues. I don't think the game is a gimme. I do think we will win. And I do intensely dislike Ped State and wish they got the death penalty.

Are Ped St fans as delusional as reported? One would think that since Jim Jones, I mean Joe Paterno has left the building and in the mist of the scandal, that most of these zombies would have awakened by now.

For the die hard homers it's business as usual. Joepa was framed and the football program was unfairly punished in their eyes.

I've come across very few that rollow the players as closely as we follow ours here. Most are the fairweather type that think, because penn state recruited them, their players will all be exceptional.

My brother, who lives in PA, has only heard about how victimized the PSU football program and Paterno have been from this whole incident.

My brother, who lives in PA, has only heard about how victimized the PSU football program and Paterno have been from this whole incident.
Pathetic.

i misread your headline...i thought you said you need a feedbag..

feedbag2.jpg

My initial thought was...wow he must be really excited to need a feedbag...but what is he doing with his hands with this excitement? THEN i read the headline at the bottom of my feedbag picture i posted and it ALL made sense.

I graduated from CBA in 1976 @ then went to RIT. Trust me, about 90% of what I wear is orange! I grew up in a huge Italian family on the northside & my entire family is still in Syracuse. I'm legit in asking for feedback.

Gone are Mauti, Hodges and Hill. In there place are guys that state fans think will be just as good but I don't see it. The only d tackle that is exceptional is Jarron Jones whom we recruited hard. The rest are 20+ lbs too light and 2 years too young. Carson is a good lb but not good enough to carry the entire lb unit. Their secondary is suspect which has been the case at state as long as I've been watching football. In years past the front 7 has been good enough to hide them but again this front 7 isn't one from years past.

Thank you. A very well written response. I live in York, PA. The PSU fans here have not lost their zeal for football. If anything, they are more ardent than ever. I love loyal fans, but I'm nauseated that they are still making excuses for the crap that took place on their campus.

What part of PA you living in now? If you are in NE PA (Scranton/W-B), I might have some tips for you.

I'm just the opposite of you--grew up in PA; lived in CNY for past 25 years. Grew up as a PSU fan until I moved here and learned the error of my ways. Now I wear orange almost every day just to show my true allegiance to the world.

Go Orange and F Ped State!
I live in York, PA, about 30 minutes south of Harrisburg. I left Syracuse in 1982, just after graduating from RIT. I also spent 12 years in College Park, MD before my job brought me to York. It's actually a great place to raise a family! Too many PSU & Steeler fans though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom