Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life." | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Purdue writer: "Never been in louder venue in my life."

Anyone know how outdoor stadiums are louder than indoor stadiums? I know Seahawks stadium was architected with sound acoustics in mind to make it loud. But others? How can other places beat 126 in an indoor location?
Double the people. Stadium shape. Many outdoor stadiums arent that loud.

All this really pts to where in the dome is it loudest now.. It would be great down on the field but it may well be someplace in the stands who knows.. you need multiple pts of reference...
I was in the 5th row of Sect 302 (Purdue game). The students were below on the left. I noticed how strong/loud the fans were to the right of me, ie, toward the end zone opposite of the band and students, and on the home sideline. When Purdue missed the FG, the sound came from them first, probably because they could see that it would be a miss before everyone else. Anyway, that crowd over there was loud! Louder than the students.

There were a number of times the place went absolutely crazy, like the the 4th down TD pass to Gadsden, the pick 6, and the final TD score. I've watched a little of the TV version and no way does it replicate what was going on, IMHO.

Is anyone concerned that an unintended consequence of the new TFT roof, is sound retention. With this kind of talk at 30K fans, does 45K cause potentially ear damaging noise?

Great points, I don’t think this has been mentioned yet and should probably be talked about at least a little bit.

I was in the 5th row of Sect 302 (Purdue game). The students were below on the left. I noticed how strong/loud the fans were to the right of me, ie, toward the end zone opposite of the band and students, and on the home sideline. When Purdue missed the FG, the sound came from them first, probably because they could see that it would be a miss before everyone else. Anyway, that crowd over there was loud! Louder than the students.

There were a number of times the place went absolutely crazy, like the the 4th down TD pass to Gadsden, the pick 6, and the final TD score. I've watched a little of the TV version and no way does it replicate what was going on, IMHO.

Yup, that’s where the section that I sit in.

That end zone and corner have really stepped up recently.

Been a huge problem for opposing offenses on that side of the field

I don’t known what’s up with the student section but they were filling out far more seats a year ago, was very disappointed to see them file out as the team came over to sing the alma mater

Is anyone concerned that an unintended consequence of the new TFT roof, is sound retention. With this kind of talk at 30K fans, does 45K cause potentially ear damaging noise?
No. If you have been to the dome, you would know this is completely baseless.

Going to a football game is not like sitting next to a jet engine or the giant speakers of a rock concert or the engine of a lawn mower. You can expert 120 db in those environments for sustained periods of time.

The dome is loud for short periods. The general expected level given for football games is 100 db. The dome is probably louder than most facilities.

But football games are pretty quiet and subdued most of the time. I think it is really unlikely someone is going to go deaf because they went to a football game at the facility. But if you are concerned, by all means, put in ear plugs or wear ear muffs.

I won’t look at you funny. ;)

Loud noise above 120 dB can cause immediate harm to your ears... it doesn’t have to be sustained. There’s a reason the National Institute for the Deaf is right down the Thruway.

Wear earplugs if you need to. Just be loud. Maybe we’ll eventually rename it the Deaf Dome.

Last edited:
No. If you have been to the dome, you would know this is completely baseless.

Going to a football game is not like sitting next to a jet engine or the giant speakers of a rock concert or the engine of a lawn mower. You can expert 120 db in those environments for sustained periods of time.

The dome is loud for short periods. The general expected level given for football games is 100 db. The dome is probably louder than most facilities.

But football games are pretty quiet and subdued most of the time. I think it is really unlikely someone is going to go deaf because they went to a football game at the facility. But if you are concerned, by all means, put in ear plugs or wear ear muffs.

I won’t look at you funny. ;)
I never mentioned deafness. Also, short duration can also cause some impairment or injury. Gunfire for example.

It’s gotten so much better. Been on this end for 6 years now but this year especially there’s a noticeable difference. The TD and the crowd going nuts at all the flags on Purdue before the last extra point made that side as loud as it’s been since Clemson. It was impressively loud in the 200’s.

Not really. When people are talking about high numbers, those are just brief peaks. The question is what the average is across the duration of the whole game. One reference would be that OSHA requires employers to implement a hearing conservation program when sound is at or above an average of 85 dbs over the course of 8 hrs. With all the breaks in a football game, I would be very surprised if the noise met that threshold for the 4 hrs people are in attendance. Rock concerts are way worse because you don't get the breaks.

Not really. When people are talking about high numbers, those are just brief peaks.
Brief peaks can cause hearing damage at 120. Let’s keep it factual. If you’re younger you may not notice it but you may not be able to follow a conversation in a noisy restaurant when you’re 60.

Brief peaks can cause hearing damage at 120. Let’s keep it factual. If you’re younger you may not notice it but you may not be able to follow a conversation in a noisy restaurant when you’re 60.
I thought I was keeping it factual when I quoted OSHA. Can you point me to wear the information is about brief peaks at 120? I'd like to read it.

I moved over to this end zone corner this year and it seems much louder than where I was last year on away sideline corner end zone. I couldn't make the Purdue game but the guys who I gave my ST to said it was as loud as they've ever heard the dome.

Looking forward to Friday night!

I never mentioned deafness. Also, short duration can also cause some impairment or injury. Gunfire for example.

So, swimming and track are dangerous?

Loudest I can remember the Dome, even louder than VTech 98 etc was Dan Conley's interception early in the game against #1 Miami in (?)'92. My brother and Dad were screaming at me and all I saw was their mouth moving. It was ear ringing hurt your ears loud.
Ragman,

I agree with you...the 92 Miami game was the loudest I have ever been to. I have been to most of the game listed in this thread including the first game in the dome (the goal line stand was really loud). Unfortunately I was stationed overseas for 87 and missed those games. That Miami game was so loud that I dont think I could hear for two days afterward. The 98 Tennessee game was pretty loud too.

We could even hand out the little foam earplugs to anyone who wants them.

Or have a phony vendor walk up and down the aisles selling them. Orange ones. Tape it. A great clip for ESPN to show, or include in a recruiting video.

"Eeeeeeear plugs!!! Get your life-saving ear plugs right here!!! Eeeeeeear plugs!!!!"
as long as they arent made by 3M...LOL

I don't think SU wants studies to be performed. There are liability issues which could arise from well documented studies. Don't forget, there are hundreds of employees in the Dome for many games. Plus, tens of thousands of visitors.

SU would not want anything showing sound levels at two jets, or more, taking off. See the following link from the CDC, there is a chart with noise levels.

Note that the average noise of a sporting event is 100 dB. Decibels are logarithmic, for each increase of 3 dB, the sound level is approximately doubled. For every 10 dB, the sound level is increased 10 fold. Based on readings provided by one poster, we have had readings in excess of 120 dB, or 100X louder than the average sporting event. (100 dB + 10 dB + 10 dB = 120 dB or 100 X 10 X 10).

Anyway, from what others say, SU used to measure the noise and has since stopped. I believe it was a wise decision to do so. I believe those who believe the noise levels to be in excess of the 120 dB+ they have measured on their own devices.
3M is going to pay many millions of people several billions of dollars because of hearing loss due to faulty noise reduction earplugs...

Syracuse University doesn't want that kind of liability. I'm surprised they don't have "Loud, use your noise protection" signs throughout the Dome, and or written in disclaimers on the tickets.

When fans buy a ticket online, make them sign an agreement that they won't sue for any damage caused by any excessive noise in the Dome.

Legally it would be pretty much BS, but it would create great PR, and be a great recruiting tool.

"It's true son, we make the fans sign a waiver like that. Come and be a part of that. Sign your Letter of Intent right here!"

I used to go to a bar in Fort Lauderdale that claimed to have the hottest wings in the country, and required you to sign a waiver you wouldn’t sue if you had a medical issue from eating them. I’m sure the waiver served as a huge incentive for people to give it a shot.

No idea if this waiver at the Dome is a great idea from a marketing v perspective but has legal ramifications SU should avoid - but if there’s no legal issues created this sounds like a no-brainer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom