Quarterbacks | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Quarterbacks

I didn't say that any coach should tell him to transfer. I said they need to end the experiment and get an underclassmen some reps. Especially even if there is a chance he won't be here next year.

And you don't think he needs to be benched simply for the performance to date...that alone should be reason enough, as I said above.

Now, as I said before I don't think that Dino will do that.
You said they should bench him because he is threatening to transfer or mailing in performances when there was no evidence that either was true.

I understand the idea of getting young guys ready for next year. As I said earlier, that depends on how close they are to being ready to play now. If the gap is slim, playing them makes sense. If it's huge it doesn't.

Wonder how many QB's decided against giving SU a shot because they knew DeVito was never going to be unseated?

Think it's a huge factor. Kids and parents get a feel for just what the love level is with the incumbent and with Ed's success and graduation, TD was groomed to be the guy. Add in the elite 11, and yes, the timing was perfect for TD to take over and it swayed incoming QBs decision.

You said they should bench him because he is threatening to transfer or mailing in performances when there was no evidence that either was true.

I understand the idea of getting young guys ready for next year. As I said earlier, that depends on how close they are to being ready to play now. If the gap is slim, playing them makes sense. If it's huge it doesn't.

Honestly, the coaches are mailing it in more than any player. .watching that last 9 minutes Again and it was tough to watch and think how could the players even be motivated. That D played their nuts off, but this offensive prep and approach is concerning. Their also is no chemistry between TD and the recievers and that starts with coaching.

it also starts with lack of practice with the WRs and the QBs that didnt really happen until fall camp

Drives me insane at the beginning of games when the announcers talk about us going fast. We don’t go fast! We quickly go three and out I guess, does that count?

Rushing to the line just to stare at the sidelines for the call isn’t going fast. We don’t go fast. Sick of hearing it.

Drives me insane at the beginning of games when the announcers talk about us going fast. We don’t go fast! We quickly go three and out I guess, does that count?

Rushing to the line just to stare at the sidelines for the call isn’t going fast. We don’t go fast. Sick of hearing it.

Agreed. We haven’t gone fast in years.

I actually miss getting blown out but putting up a lot of points and yards like we did in 2016 and late in 2017. We even pulled two major upsets those years. We were at least entertaining.

Last year and so far this year, we are as boring as we were under Shafer and GRob. It’s an absolute chore to watch SU football again. I watched about half of each of our first two games. Frankly I don’t have time for this nonsense anymore. Maybe when the weather is bad I’ll subject myself to a whole game again.

Honestly, the coaches are mailing it in more than any player. .watching that last 9 minutes Again and it was tough to watch and think how could the players even be motivated. That D played their nuts off, but this offensive prep and approach is concerning. Their also is no chemistry between TD and the recievers and that starts with coaching.
I highly doubt anyone is mailing it in. I hate when people confuse or twist lack of ability or poor execution with poor effort. Wanna say a player takes a play off here or there? Or that a guy should maybe watch more film? Ok, but that's far from mailing it in. I really don't think coaches are sitting around saying, "Screw it, this season/game doesn't matter," either. I'll question strategy, ability, or execution, but making a blanket statement that the players or coaches are mailing it in after two games, Is foolish.

Yeah, I hate the rush to the line and look at the sideline thing. Every no huddle team does it though.

I think if the offense actually executed we would see the tempo again. Who knows when that will be?

I highly doubt anyone is mailing it in. I hate when people confuse or twist lack of ability or poor execution with poor effort. Wanna say a player takes a play off here or there? Or that a guy should maybe watch more film? Ok, but that's far from mailing it in. I really don't think coaches are sitting around saying, "Screw it, this season/game doesn't matter," either. I'll question strategy, ability, or execution, but making a blanket statement that the players or coaches are mailing it in after two games, Is foolish.

Agreed. I think our overall talent in terms of being ready to produce in 2020 is just not there on offense, and there’s little that can be done about it and thus everybody looks bad.

Big difference between benching a player that is playing poorly and walking up to him and saying you are benched because you are threatening to transfer.

Nah, you dont get it. Please dont think the players didn't notice dinos " whatever " approach the last 9 minutes. It was glaring. The coaches can " mail in" really going after it and the apathetic play calling Saturday was the example. It's almost like the offensive staff didn't believe there would be games given covid and all of the sudden here we are going into week 3.fellas, the game prep of the QBs and wrs is disturbing, OL ASIDE!

Big difference between benching a player that is playing poorly and walking up to him and saying you are benched because you are threatening to transfer.
I agree. Which is why I disagreed when you asserted benching him because of the possibility of him transferring.

TD is better, way better than rex. What seems to be going on is the perfect storm of tommy losing his mojo, like a golfer with the shanks. Add in the horrible situation at wr and the coaching and lack of preparedness and play calling. THAT'S the problem.

I rewatched the game yesterday on espnu and it's actually worse than this board is portraying. we didn't run more than 8-10 different plays all day and its gonna get someone hurt and the wr group is small, slow, and bad.

The WR we put out there are small. I'm not sure I'd say they're slow though. I like Taj. I think Queeley can be a player. I'd like Courtney Jackson to get more targets.

For me, the missing pieces are Hackett & Benson, along with Ed Hendrix. Those are bigger bodied guys who should be weapons.

TD is gun shy at this point due to getting killed last year. The O-line is clearly a weak link and Tommy's ability (or lack thereof) to scan the field and deliver the ball earlier compounds our problems.

The WR we put out there are small. I'm not sure I'd say they're slow though. I like Taj. I think Queeley can be a player. I'd like Courtney Jackson to get more targets.

For me, the missing pieces are Hackett & Benson, along with Ed Hendrix. Those are bigger bodied guys who should be weapons.

TD is gun shy at this point due to getting killed last year. The O-line is clearly a weak link and Tommy's ability (or lack thereof) to scan the field and deliver the ball earlier compounds our problems.

Good point, but if TD is anticipating pressure, then he is done. We have done nothing to roll the pocket or run anything up the middle pass wise or misdirection.

Good point, but if TD is anticipating pressure, then he is done. We have done nothing to roll the pocket or run anything up the middle pass wise or misdirection.

It seems we only throw outside the hashmarks, which drives me nuts. Those Erv Phillips specials are what this offense is missing. This is where Nykeim and Courtney Jackson have to shine.

I'm not an X's and O's guy, but to my untrained eye it appears we're running the same set of plays & patterns. That makes it awfully simple for the defense. I hope we start to mix things up against GT.

Nah, you dont get it. Please dont think the players didn't notice dinos " whatever " approach the last 9 minutes. It was glaring. The coaches can " mail in" really going after it and the apathetic play calling Saturday was the example. It's almost like the offensive staff didn't believe there would be games given covid and all of the sudden here we are going into week 3.fellas, the game prep of the QBs and wrs is disturbing, OL ASIDE!
Weren't we going for it on 4th down with around 4 and half minutes left? And we threw on every down of that possession. That doesn't sound like mailing it in. On the previous possession we attempted passes on most of our plays too.

You can argue that the play calling is poor. I think some of that is lack of confidence in the players to execute given what the coaches saw throughout the game. You can question the decision to hold the timeouts. Both of those things are regarding strategy and not whether or not the coaches care.

Where you mention game prep of qbs and wrs, that again is separate from effort and does not indicate that the staff is mailing it in. Maybe the coaches don't prepare the players well or the players are incapable of retaining what their taught or just aren't that talented. None of that is indicative of caring or effort.

I have to assume Dino likes his job and likes getting paid. Thoughts of him not playing the best qb available is laughable. Every year everyone here wants to see the backup play and when they do they are worse. Sure Rex made one good throw. That doesn’t make him joe Montana. I have to have faith that Dino is smarter then all of us and is playing the best qb because that gives him his best chance at winning which allows him to keep his job and or get a better one. This has nothing to do with loyalty. Lastly everyone here arguing with a parent should be ashamed. I would like to see any one of you sit there and either watch your kid get pounded on or sit back while a bunch of “fans” destroy your kid. At the end of the day Tommy is giving it his all on the field and that is all we can ask. Dino needs to bring in linemen, running backs, and receivers that are p5 players. If Tommy had any support you all would be singing a different tune.
exactly but TBH tommy has some shell shock in him to and no other Qb the last 14 games has took the beating he has and he took it like a man !
This was a free year Tommy saw the issues he could have opted out like others
The negative things don’t bother me
Nobody here breaks down film in slo motion and knows the play design it’s classic arm chair Qb . Challenge plays are in slo motion for a reason you can’t trust your eyes full speed . Dino knows the deal . I’m not gonna use my energy educating FANATICS. But what does bother me most are the threats this loyal kid has gotten , the kid who saved your glorious 10 win season when he had some help , apples to apples when you all wanted EDs head most games . Kid was a fearless gun slinger what changed ? Cmon man stop ignoring the gorilla in the room but what ever
Back to the thing that bothers me when Tommy got smashed in the head on a max protection double move play the poor kid was crawling on the sideline
I thought for sure he was concussed yes he came back in but for all the good info I give not one poster ask me is he ok ! Not one
I don’t need pity nor does he but a little compassion for your loyal piñata would be nice

Why would they want to come here? To have a second and a half to throw the ball to underwhelming skill players behind a consistently low talent level and depleted offensive line?

Any 4-star QB has plans to make it to the league and that doesn’t happen when you can’t display your talent. I’m not insinuating that TD is blameless but there’s not many QBs out there who could step in and make the offense what we want it to be.
I keep hearing our skill players are low talent. This is ridiculous all of our skill players had other power 5 offers. Most of them multiple. You may want to defend TD but It’s not right to make statements against other players that are incorrect. In the past we had skill players that were not as highly rated as our current players but they succeeded. The difference was who was behind center.

I agree. Which is why I disagreed when you asserted benching him because of the possibility of him transferring.
How would the player have any idea why is my point?

exactly but TBH tommy has some shell shock in him to and no other Qb the last 14 games has took the beating he has and he took it like a man !
Nobody here breaks down film in slo motion and knows the play design it’s classic arm chair Qb . Challenge plays are in slo motion for a reason you can’t trust your eyes full speed . Dino knows the deal . I’m not gonna use my energy educating FANATICS. But what does bother me most are the threats this loyal kid has gotten , the kid who saved your glorious 10 win season when he had some help , apples to apples when you all wanted EDs head most games . Kid was a fearless gun slinger what changed ? Cmon man stop ignoring the gorilla in the room but what ever
Back to the thing that bothers me when Tommy got smashed in the head on a max protection double move play the poor kid was crawling on the sideline
I thought for sure he was concussed yes he came back in but for all the good info I give not one poster ask me is he ok ! Not one
I don’t need pity nor does he but a little compassion for your loyal piñata would be nice
Actually in the game thread a bunch of people said they hoped he was ok. They probably didn't ask you afterward because he came back in the game.

The grass is always greener till it isn’t. I remember the pull dungy and nassib posts. Then the backup comes in and throws the ball into the dirt. We aren’t going to win running the ball up the middle with no line. We aren’t going to win with receivers that drop passes. I even saw a post about running 5 wide. Who is going to block?

I keep hearing our skill players are low talent. This is ridiculous all of our skill players had other power 5 offers. Most of them multiple. You may want to defend TD but It’s not right to make statements against other players that are incorrect. In the past we had skill players that were not as highly rated as our current players but they succeeded. The difference was who was behind center.
It is a matter of degree — between “low” and high enough to be candidates for 1st, 2nd. 3rd all-league teams or at least honorable mention. Jordan at RB had offers, he is quick but isn’t big. Harris is talented but skinny. Queeley is a very average receiver. We have had better guys in these roles in every other season in the Dino era. We have had better inside receivers. And, yes, QB is the bigger question.

The logical assumption, since he went back in the game, is that he was OK. Not sure why you feel the need for someone to ask you how he is.

He has a point here. Above all else, I do hope the kid is ok and while I can't speak for everyone else, I'm sure many if not all on this board want him to succeed. People are just angry coming off of last year.

He has a point here. Above all else, I do hope the kid is ok and while I can't speak for everyone else, I'm sure many if not all on this board want him to succeed. People are just angry coming off of last year.
Agreed. TD is obviously well liked and respected by Orange fans. He is not above criticism. If Tommy were playing for an SEC or Big team the heat would be exponentially worse.
I hope that his Dad is right. That once we get a few oline guys back things are going to click. I want TD to rewrite the single year passing mark and believe he can next year if he gets a solid line.
To his Dads point i personally am done criticizing him.
Lets go TD lets go Orange.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom