Quarterbacks | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Quarterbacks

He has a point here. Above all else, I do hope the kid is ok and while I can't speak for everyone else, I'm sure many if not all on this board want him to succeed. People are just angry coming off of last year.
People are angry about the showing of the offense in the first two games, and should be pleased that a better defense was quickly installed. So, we started 0 - 2 on the road against teams who are better than our bunch. Now, win at home against easier competition and people will change on a dime. Nature of fandom.

The logical assumption, since he went back in the game, is that he was OK. Not sure why you feel the need for someone to ask you how he is.
Sorry didn’t see it . Why because players go back in when they are hurt a head shot is serious stuff all my friends called me after the game symptoms of concussion sometimes don’t show for hours later

Sorry didn’t see it . Why because players go back in when they are hurt a head shot is serious stuff all my friends called me after the game symptoms of concussion sometimes don’t show for hours later

C'mon. We can discuss what he does well and where he's struggling - but don't assume we don't care if he gets hurt or concussed. That's insane. It may not feel like it to you, but we're rooting for him not only as a player but as a kid. I'd also say you're probably more sensitive to his health because you're his Dad. You're hard wired for 20 years to care about every hit and stumble to a level we can't achieve. That's being a parent.

C'mon. We can discuss what he does well and where he's struggling - but don't assume we don't care if he gets hurt or concussed. That's insane. It may not feel like it to you, but we're rooting for him not only as a player but as a kid. I'd also say you're probably more sensitive to his health because you're his Dad. You're hard wired for 20 years to care about every hit and stumble to a level we can't achieve. That's being a parent.
I didn’t say you don’t care but out of 100s of posters not 1 not even the other dads said hey is he ok . Just found it strange . but what ever I’m different I guess

Just my two cents on this whole thing, Tommy is getting dry humped up and down the field no doubt about it and for him and his family that’s an absolute crappy thing to have to see and deal with. The o line at this point in a head coaches 5th year at a power five school should be better it just should. I am not gonna look at the Clemsons and Miami of the conference and compare what they bring in, but I will look at the Boston Colleges and the Pitts. It appears we are the least talented team in the ACc and it’s brutal to watch. I’m more disappointed with Dino Babers then anybody else... that being said when Rex is in the game it does not appear to me to be a significant drop off from our started and that’s a Giant problem. I am not in the quarterbacks room but if all things are equal or close to equal I say play Rex or a freshman. This season already is a throw away unfortunately, either let the senior do his thing or see what the young guys can grasp.

Just my two cents on this whole thing, Tommy is getting dry humped up and down the field no doubt about it and for him and his family that’s an absolute crappy thing to have to see and deal with. The o line at this point in a head coaches 5th year at a power five school should be better it just should. I am not gonna look at the Clemsons and Miami of the conference and compare what they bring in, but I will look at the Boston Colleges and the Pitts. It appears we are the least talented team in the ACc and it’s brutal to watch. I’m more disappointed with Dino Babers then anybody else... that being said when Rex is in the game it does not appear to me to be a significant drop off from our started and that’s a Giant problem. I am not in the quarterbacks room but if all things are equal or close to equal I say play Rex or a freshman. This season already is a throw away unfortunately, either let the senior do his thing or see what the young guys can grasp.
How do you not see the drop off. No way td throws those last two passes how Rex did. One was 15’ over the receiver and the other one was in the dirt. Those are two passes a p5 Qb should make 9/10 times. Td throws for that first down

How do you not see the drop off. No way td throws those last two passes how Rex did. One was 15’ over the receiver and the other one was in the dirt. Those are two passes a p5 Qb should make 9/10 times.
TD takes the sack there, because he refuses to throw the ball.

FIFY. Sadly. :(

Late to the discussion, have not read the full thread.

My take:. Pull Tommy D, Let Rex start. Keep Tommy nearby, walk him through everything. Tommy is a competitive kid. We all recall what he did when let loose sitting behind Eric Dungey, that's the reason we believe in Tommy to begin with.

Once Tommy gets the fire built up inside, unleash the Cracken! Tommy has the skills and the tools, he needs to get over the concept that he has to carry the team, rather, he needs to lead the team, not carry the team. We saw how he could play towards the end of last season.

Let the kid dial back the pressure on himself to be perfect and have some fun. Nobody expects anything from him or Syracuse this fall, experiment away.

I also like the idea of letting the young guns get a little run so long as we don't waste their red shirts.

This is a better team than we see right now. A couple breaks and either game would have been different. Very pleased with the new D and how the kids have adjusted.

Last edited:
Folks, come on now. This is getting ridiculous. TD absolutely should start on Saturday against GT. He deserves a chance to perform at home in a totally different environment. Rex deserves a few series and maybe more depending on how the first quarter goes but to say Rex should start is nonsensical. The play calling obviously needs to be much better and the offensive line needs to play better as well. But with a brand new offensive coordinator and limited practice time it is safe to say we are way behind schedule when compared to other teams. This game on Saturday will settle a lot of questions but TD needs to have the first shot.

Folks, come on now. This is getting ridiculous. TD absolutely should start on Saturday against GT. He deserves a chance to perform at home in a totally different environment. Rex deserves a few series and maybe more depending on how the first quarter goes but to say Rex should start is nonsensical. The play calling obviously needs to be much better and the offensive line needs to play better as well. But with a brand new offensive coordinator and limited practice time it is safe to say we are way behind schedule when compared to other teams. This game on Saturday will settle a lot of questions but TD needs to have the first shot.
The fact that this is even a debate shows how clueless many “fans” are. I saw one post about running 5 wide. We can’t block now with extra backs as blockers. Tommy is and should start the rest of the year. Running Rex out there isn’t the answer. Dino And company needs to recruit better and this awful offensive scheme with Gilbert needs to go. The fact hat year 5 and we I’ve no line, no running backs, and receivers that can’t catch is borderline laughable. Covid isn’t an excuse. If the players that opted out don’t want to stand with their team and fight in the trenches then that’s on them and good luck in the future.

TD is not the problem. Having no OL in year 4 and again in year 5 is a HUGE recruiting FAILURE, compounded by bizarro-world play calling.
Huge failure for the coaching staff. Looking at the recruiting results so far this year it goes to show how off Dino was on his staff. The fact the dinos personality isn’t translating to better recruits tells me there is a huge disconnect somewhere. With the offense he runs receivers should be lining up instead we have guys that would make featherstone look like an all star.

Attachments

• 9F58C031-9761-4881-A7EA-12CED0859449.jpeg
    9F58C031-9761-4881-A7EA-12CED0859449.jpeg
    87.2 KB · Views: 95
  • 682FD37C-0853-448F-AAF4-F3C9ED731BBC.jpeg
    682FD37C-0853-448F-AAF4-F3C9ED731BBC.jpeg
    51.6 KB · Views: 102

Good post, but I agree that as much as I have criticized TDs play, the lack of offensive OL and wr development, IS TDs argument. Add in the play calling, again, vanilla calls, probably 8 of the same calls over and over. At the end of the day you have to let these wrs run routes and run some misdirectiinal plays. The constant throws to 4-5 yes in the flat and the runs to JJ didn't give this offense a look.

How do you not see the drop off. No way td throws those last two passes how Rex did. One was 15’ over the receiver and the other one was in the dirt. Those are two passes a p5 Qb should make 9/10 times. Td throws for that first down
Not to get into a back and forth, but those two passes were no worse then dozens of issues I have seen from Tommy in the past couple years. Last year in the Maryland and liberty games alone he way more issues then Rex has had in far less time to get game experience.

The lack of great play calling is I would assume a function of not having adequate practice time. Its really more about execution. But you would also think that if they pared down the playbook and simplified it, then execution should be better if they focused what practice time was available.

To the folks defending Tommy and saying Rex isn't the answer because he misfired on a couple of passes.

Did you look at the stat lines for both guys and tell me who got 95% of the reps with the ones in Practice? Who had the higher completion percentage? Which QB moves better in the pocket? Which QB seems to be able to get away from pressure and who seems to run into it? Which one makes the better decisions? Really, the only difference I see is that one got more game reps.

I dont think either one of them is the answer. I have very little confidence in either of them until I see someone actually give the team a legitimate chance to win, until then this is all a waste of words IMO.

The lack of great play calling is I would assume a function of not having adequate practice time. Its really more about execution. But you would also think that if they pared down the playbook and simplified it, then execution should be better if they focused what practice time was available.

To the folks defending Tommy and saying Rex isn't the answer because he misfired on a couple of passes.

Did you look at the stat lines for both guys and tell me who got 95% of the reps with the ones in Practice? Who had the higher completion percentage? Which QB moves better in the pocket? Which QB seems to be able to get away from pressure and who seems to run into it? Which one makes the better decisions? Really, the only difference I see is that one got more game reps.

I dont think either one of them is the answer. I have very little confidence in either of them until I see someone actually give the team a legitimate chance to win, until then this is all a waste of words IMO.
I’m very worried about the tweets from the USF fans blasting Gilbert’s play calling. To me it looks like the same play calling we have seen over the last two games. a slimmed down playbook should he carried out a lot better then it has been. These runs up the middle with this line is troubling, the fact I haven’t seen a pass between the hash marks in years boggles my mind.

In college, the QB1 position is the driver. In Dino’s 5th year, we have failed to recruit a playmaker. That my friends is all the difference.
if tommy opts out, does he get the year back?

The logical assumption, since he went back in the game, is that he was OK. Not sure why you feel the need for someone to ask you how he is.
To be fair I can think of a board immortal who’d tough it out similarly and play while most the board and people in the stands knew he was definitely not ok. And during a lot of that toughing it out, many of us called for the cool new toy from Jersey to replace him.

To be fair I can think of a board immortal who’d tough it out similarly and play while most the board and people in the stands knew he was definitely not ok. And during a lot of that toughing it out, many of us called for the cool new toy from Jersey to replace him.
The difference being that he had single handedly and through sheer will won games for us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom