Rak | Syracusefan.com

Rak

CuseTG2003

Starter
Really thought he played well despite being in foul trouble last night. He missed a couple bunnies, but I liked the looks he got, his aggressiveness, and the fact that the other guys were looking for him.

What was really telling to me was JB calling a play for Rak coming out of a timeout in the 2nd half. Rak made a really a nice move to his left, but missed a short lefty hook shot that he'll make more often than not. The fact that JB called that play in that situation tells me everything I need to know about Rak's development. Big props to Hop for getting the big guy to where he is and also to Rak for all the hard work he's obviously put in. He finally seems to being putting it all together and giving us a legit low post threat.

Really thought he played well despite being in foul trouble last night. He missed a couple bunnies, but I liked the looks he got, his aggressiveness, and the fact that the other guys were looking for him.

What was really telling to me was JB calling a play for Rak coming out of a timeout in the 2nd half. Rak made a really a nice move to his left, but missed a short lefty hook shot that he'll make more often than not. The fact that JB called that play in that situation tells me everything I need to know about Rak's development. Big props to Hop for getting the big guy to where he is and also to Rak for all the hard work he's obviously put in. He finally seems to being putting it all together and giving us a legit low post threat.

He needs to stop committing silly fouls. Both him and BMK. Thats more important to me right now than scoring points.

Started off looking like he was going to have a monster game but then picked up two quick fouls.

He needs to stop committing silly fouls. Both him and BMK. Thats more important to me right now than scoring points.

Agreed. The refs aren't doing us any favors, and the big guys need to realize that. Just like to see Rak show confidence on the offense, and JB and his teammates having confidence in him. He's come a long way.

Losing Coleman and those additional fouls are huge. A bunch of ticky tack fouls called last night. Give the bigs kudos. Rak and Baye did a pretty good job overall.

Losing Coleman and those additional fouls are huge. A bunch of ticky tack fouls called last night. Give the bigs kudos. Rak and Baye did a pretty good job overall.

I think part of the problem is neither BMK or RAK are stout guys so they get pushed around pretty easily and are more prone to having ticky tacky fouls called on them.

I think part of the problem is neither BMK or RAK are stout guys so they get pushed around pretty easily and are more prone to having ticky tacky fouls called on them.

They also get called for a lot of body fouls. Guys are initiating the contact because both guys are contesting shots and they are getting called a lot

They also get called for a lot of body fouls. Guys are initiating the contact because both guys are contesting shots and they are getting called a lot

You nailed it. Unfortunately, I don't think there's much either can do besides play smarter and a little less aggressive. Not ideal, but it is what it is.

Refs definitely had a quick trigger last night. One of the fouls on Rak came on a tipped rebound and was BS.

But to the OP's point, his development is impressive...slow and steady, but that's what wins the race. He missed a couple bunnies last night, but that was rare. I'm extremely confident with his touch around the rim. Rakeem Christmas will be one of our best players next year.

Agreed, Rak's movement on the floor appears to indicate he believes he belongs out there, like he knows that's his spot. That's always a critical migration for any kid in that situation. I mean, there comes a point in most players' careers when they look around them and think "If not me, then who in this spot?" and they realize the answer has to be "It's me. I will do it. This is mine." You can't always tell exactly when they figured it out, but you sure can pick up on the difference. It's terrific to see him doing this.

Refs forgot the new rules and allowed bumping all game long.

Rakim is getting better - the lefty hook needs to be shelved until next year, but he has done a much better job finishing around the basket and is showing some good things going over his left shoulder.

I would like to see RAK take the ball strong to the basket more often. He has a nice shot but needs a little more "arc". Shot seems to be "straight on" to the basket.

Cooney/Ennis driving and dishing to RAK could help his confidence earlier in games. We will need him in March/April....

RAK has done a very good job all year of fighting for and getting great position. His teammates have recently started to get him the ball. I'd would actually like to see alittle more high low with him and grant, the only thing is grant hasn't shown the ability to consistently make the touch pass(lob) to him. I think overtime with alittle more practice that could be an added offensive option. His ability to finish with both hands around the basket also shows the work he has put in this year with his coaches. He nowhere near a finished product, but it's great to see production and significant improvement.

Also I agree with the centers having to play smarter considering DC being out, but them being aggressive defensively is part of their job. They both do a great job challenging and altering shots which gives opposing players nightmares under the hoop.

Speaking of fouls, Baye is lucky he isn't called for one on every possession. His two-handed downward swing block could be called every time.

I love what I have been seeing from Rak. The last 5 games or so it really seems like everything is starting to click. Even if he can become a threat to throw the ball in the post it will help. A consistent 8ppg from him will go a long way. His back to the basket game has developed nicely, and he is doing a lot better job of catching the tough passes. Rebounding, and defense have also picked up. I really like Rak as a player, as well as a person. He's really a great kid off the court, and for all the chewing out he has got these first 3 years he has never once talked back.

At least two fouls were him just standing there with his arms straight up and dudes running into him
Roc has had a ton of those "fouls" called on him over the past couple years. Refs just can't seem to resist blowing the whistle on him.

and also, I think the high-low with Rak and Jerami can be really effective (when executed properly) and should be utilized more

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom