RB next year | Syracusefan.com

RB next year

upperdeck

Living Legend
now that we have 4 weeks to wait for another game and recruiting has been in stall pattern, what happens at the RB spot next year since the QB spot wont be decided until after the spring ball is done.

Smith, Gulley probably stay as the 1-2. Moore is the big back.

AB who knows where he ends up

Is morris the next smith or the next gulley

Does McFarlane go back to D now?

Is Edwards a RB or a DB, is L. Smith being looked at as a RB or LB?

We got away with 1 RB and some committee work with the rest of the group based on who was healthy. I don't see Gulley being the #1 if we needed a full time guy. Odds are good next year we see better athletes in the ACC and probably need 2-3 guys to do the work Smith did this year. Also good chance we need someone to help with the Gulley role as well. if we keep McFarlane at RB with Morris we have some depth no matter what AB does and could also upgrade the speed at the position. but is there a need on D that would make more sense to move him back and use a freshmen as the #3-4 backup?

if they plan on moving him back these 15 practices would seem to be the time.

now that we have 4 weeks to wait for another game and recruiting has been in stall pattern, what happens at the RB spot next year since the QB spot wont be decided until after the spring ball is done.

Smith, Gulley probably stay as the 1-2. Moore is the big back.

AB who knows where he ends up

Is morris the next smith or the next gulley

Does McFarlane go back to D now?

Is Edwards a RB or a DB, is L. Smith being looked at as a RB or LB?

We got away with 1 RB and some committee work with the rest of the group based on who was healthy. I don't see Gulley being the #1 if we needed a full time guy. Odds are good next year we see better athletes in the ACC and probably need 2-3 guys to do the work Smith did this year. Also good chance we need someone to help with the Gulley role as well. if we keep McFarlane at RB with Morris we have some depth no matter what AB does and could also upgrade the speed at the position. but is there a need on D that would make more sense to move him back and use a freshmen as the #3-4 backup?

if they plan on moving him back these 15 practices would seem to be the time.
I think you switched Edwards and Smith.

Jeremy, GO and myself were having this discussion today. We didn't have a good answer. If Smith, PTG and AAM are all healthy next year, what happens with Morris? Do we rotate 4 guys? We don't think so. So which of the 4 don't play?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Broyld needs to see the field. But there is quality depth at RB. Still have no sense if he is / should be in the QB mix. Not big enough (yet) to be a TE. If not QB then I'm thinking either slot receiver or LB.

Do we rotate 4 guys?
Yeah, I think we can.

If we maintain the pace of offense next season that we had this season, there are a lot of carries available in general. I expect that we won't throw as much next season. We might have a better runner at QB, but I don't think the number of rush attempts the new QB has will be equal to the number of fewer passes we throw.

Here's my guess - Smith gets about the same number of carries, PTG gets a little bit fewer but becomes more involved in the passing game, AAM gets a few more carries, and Morris/MacFarlane get what's left.

Good question guys... although I'm much more concerned about the next game, that is the BOWL GAME! A nice thing to actually say, considering the start of the season. What a hell of a team we have this year; they need to cap this bad boy at 8-5 and THEN I am all in for talking about next season. However, until then, let's respect the team that has fought like hell to get to this point so us fans can watch the OrangeMEN in a bowl game like we should every year. This is by far the most proud I have been with our team in years, regardless of the record. This team defines heart, courage, and resilience.

Broyld needs to see the field. But there is quality depth at RB. Still have no sense if he is / should be in the QB mix. Not big enough (yet) to be a TE. If not QB then I'm thinking either slot receiver or LB.
He would look good in the slot, taking over for Lemon.

If Morris has good speed he will be a KR, possibly a PR and he probably play on special teams on the kickoff team. We need athletes on special teams. I am sure some of the RBs will get banged up like this year and having more depth will allow to keep the RBs fresher.

I cannot imagine Broyld stays at RB. Smith and PTG are 1a and 1b, AAM is the third back, and Morris is waiting to split carries with him the year after. I have to think McFarlane goes back to D or splits out wide, if Morris is as good as everything suggests. Edwards redshirts. Then in 2014, Morris becomes the primary back with AAM as the short yardage guy and probably Edwards as the third guy. I say that about Morris mainly because he's been described as a best of both worlds kinda guy between Smith and PTG, in terms of power and quickness.

If Morris has good speed he will be a KR, possibly a PR and he probably play on special teams on the kickoff team. We need athletes on special teams. I am sure some of the RBs will get banged up like this year and having more depth will allow to keep the RBs fresher.
If we get Laray Smith, kickoffs should be moot. If you get that elite speed you have to use it. And he absolutely has legitimately elite speed.

I think the scheme also shows that with a slightly better home run type threat you can take that next step without running plays, or the scheme, any better. there were probably 4-5 runs today into space that went for 15-20 yds. our RBs max out the plays which is good, Smith has done a better and better job of hitting the backside holes and getting outside. we have started to get some nice holes in the middle. What we are also seeing is few of the nice plays turned into big plays. we dont tend to make people miss in space , now that we are actually getting the RBs into space that is a nice problem to have. two of our bigger runs came in one game against UL. I think if you had someone like T. Auston running in some of those holes today they turn into 60 yd td's.

its all baby steps.. first we stopped losing yards on running plays, then we started make first downs when the D knew we were running, then we started running for 200 yards a game. next step is increasing the dymanics of the rb to turn 20 into 40. instead of nice runs that get to the red zone those turn into TDs and we dont need to run the RZ plays.

Gulley should be our 3rd down guy not our rotation guy with Smith when he gets tired.

Slot receivers need good hands.
And he has 15 bowl practices, the offseason, spring practice, next summer, and preseason to work on that. He's a former basketball player, which can only help. He could legitimately be an NFL tight end, but I can understand why some want to see him at WR. I'd still like to see him get a shot at QB.

I think the scheme also shows that with a slightly better home run type threat you can take that next step without running plays, or the scheme, any better. there were probably 4-5 runs today into space that went for 15-20 yds. our RBs max out the plays which is good, Smith has done a better and better job of hitting the backside holes and getting outside. we have started to get some nice holes in the middle. What we are also seeing is few of the nice plays turned into big plays. we dont tend to make people miss in space , now that we are actually getting the RBs into space that is a nice problem to have. two of our bigger runs came in one game against UL. I think if you had someone like T. Auston running in some of those holes today they turn into 60 yd td's.

its all baby steps.. first we stopped losing yards on running plays, then we started make first downs when the D knew we were running, then we started running for 200 yards a game. next step is increasing the dymanics of the rb to turn 20 into 40. instead of nice runs that get to the red zone those turn into TDs and we dont need to run the RZ plays.

Gulley should be our 3rd down guy not our rotation guy with Smith when he gets tired.
Once we get homerun speed at rb this offense will be SCARY.

If we get Laray Smith, kickoffs should be moot. If you get that elite speed you have to use it. And he absolutely has legitimately elite speed.
The speed of kick returners is becoming moot, with more and more kickers getting the ball 5 yards+ into the end zone.

Duplicate post. Sorry.

I just hope the best guys get the carries, regardless of class or experience. I like the RB's this year, but if Morris can make guys miss, that would add a dimension.

Move AB to middle linebacker, make the assumption this is fine because Hunt and Allen are legit good fits for the offense. Let Smith, Gulley, AAM have the carries next year, with Morris/McFarlane ready in case of injury. Otherwise, give those 2 another year to get ready.

Problem solved. Depth isn't compromised. MLB issue is hopefully fixed with the best athlete on the team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Jeremy, GO and myself were having this discussion today. We didn't have a good answer. If Smith, PTG and AAM are all healthy next year, what happens with Morris? Do we rotate 4 guys? We don't think so. So which of the 4 don't play?

Assuming Morris is a player you could redshirt AAM. You wouldn't really need him next year anyway and then you have a nice big back\smaller back combo for the following 2 years. Just throwing it out there...

Broyld will probably transfer before he plays D.

Move AB to middle linebacker, make the assumption this is fine because Hunt and Allen are legit good fits for the offense. Let Smith, Gulley, AAM have the carries next year, with Morris/McFarlane ready in case of injury. Otherwise, give those 2 another year to get ready.

Problem solved. Depth isn't compromised. MLB issue is hopefully fixed with the best athlete on the team.

I can't help but think Broyld would be a weak link at linebacker for at least a year. Look at the growing pains Davis has had; Broyld's athletic, but can he step into a new position (one that requires strength, instinct, and quick decision-making) and become a contributor in the next nine months?

I can't help but think Broyld would be a weak link at linebacker for at least a year. Look at the growing pains Davis has had; Broyld's athletic, but can he step into a new position (one that requires strength, instinct, and quick decision-making) and become a contributor in the next nine months?

Yeah, as I was typing it I figured you could redshirt him there, but the problem is who is playing in 2013. Hope we don't have to move Spruill again. JUCO starting right away isn't always a great idea unless he can get here in January. Wish Coker could get it mentally, would be the best solution. Don't know much about Washington.

Yeah, as I was typing it I figured you could redshirt him there, but the problem is who is playing in 2013. Hope we don't have to move Spruill again. JUCO starting right away isn't always a great idea unless he can get here in January. Wish Coker could get it mentally, would be the best solution. Don't know much about Washington.

If Broyld were amenable to the redshirt thing, it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Agree that Coker would be the best option (if he could pick up the playbook). Cam Lynch played well yesterday. He's undersized, but no more so than Diabate. Have to think he'll get a shot in the middle.

My guess, and its only a guess, is that Spruill could get moved again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom