Red Interview with Paulie and Infanti 5/4 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Red Interview with Paulie and Infanti 5/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see how playing time is deployed too.

I don’t remember many years where our leading scorer was 14/15 ppg - but I’m betting that when it happened, it was a rare year(2012), where we went deep.

Often our leading scorer scores much more than 14 because they play 36 and shoot a lot every game.
We were pretty balanced 09-14. It really has been our worst teams where one guy has dominated in high usage rate. Battle, Hughes, Boeheim, Joe.

We were pretty balanced 09-14. It really has been our worst teams where one guy has dominated in high usage rate. Battle, Hughes, Boeheim, Joe.
I agreed with you that the unbalanced, heavily weighted scoring by a player has been deterimental to most of the teams in that period and later on. Reality was the dependence on Battle, Hughes and Buddy caused limited team offense and lack of confidence in the other players. I respect each of those players and blame the coaching staff for not developing other scoring options. Surely with 10-12 scholarship players on each year that wan’t sufficient talent where other scoring could have been developed.

The defense will need to be elite. I think we have the guys to do it, but our coaches have never coached man to man. It will be interesting to see what their philosophy is.
I hate to keep repeating this, but it is incorrect to say that our coaches have never coached man. Gerry, no. But the other three, including Red, have all coached man at their previous college coaching stops.

The defense will need to be elite. I think we have the guys to do it, but our coaches have never coached man to man. It will be interesting to see what their philosophy is.
JJ, Benny, and Bell scare the hell out of me on defense, I guess they’ll be better defenders but yikes, banking on those three to have an elite defense, not even including unknown at center makes me believe we won’t be.

I really think Copeland is highly underrated by a majority here, and will surprise many.
Hope so but I also am not ready to trust him with big minutes. He was basically terrible as a freshman, albeit in limited minutes. Not sure he can shoot at all, doesn’t appear to have much ability to score and made a lot of silly mistakes on both ends.

I hope Red isn’t planning on him soaking up Judah’s minutes. He should be worked in early and often but let’s hope we have other options.

Fair, but it’s been a while.

It has for sure. Without knowing anything I would think the most natural step forward would be we see a mix of full and 3/4 court pressure then backing into a mix of man and zone. For our coaching staff and existing players this would be less of a shock and also effective given the success Pitino has managed to sustain with a similar nodel. Plus you can get creative off of that approach again without putting too much on a younger team that has them over thinking rotations and help D positioning.

Would I prefer 13 players over 11? I hope everyone would seeing as there is no reason to leave those spots empty.
Sure there is. These aren’t year to year. You don’t fill spots just to fill spots. You might have them four years. If someone is not projected as a contributor, why bring him in.
Also, people have to want to be here. It’s not a draft.

Would I prefer 13 players over 11? I hope everyone would seeing as there is no reason to leave those spots empty.
No transfer wants to come here or anywhere to be the 12th or 13th guy. Those spots are fine for development guys like Patterson or Carey, but 90% of our rotation is likely already on the roster.

And who is going to rebound?

Couple of things.

Per 100 possessions JJ actually is ahead of Westry, Joe, Judah at 5.8 Rebs. Quadir's numbers are 9.8 per 100p and JTs at 6.3.

At forward Brown is 13.3 rebs/100, Benny 7.7, Bell under 4.

At C Mccleod was 11.8 and Hima 13.8.

So Quadir and JJs analytics show some rebounding potential at guard while Brown has nice numbers at forward along with Hima and somewhat Mccleod.

Nothing of course jumps out like Jesse's production. In an uptempo offense you have rebounders at guard. I'll add that Westrys advanced numbers don't help his case on the boards but this is a situation where his playing style and tape tells a different story and thus fully expect he is closer to Quadir as a rebounder than where he was in limited injured time last year. By committee but it's not all bad when you dig a little.

No transfer wants to come here or anywhere to be the 12th or 13th guy. Those spots are fine for development guys like Patterson or Carey, but 90% of our rotation is likely already on the roster.
That is true and was also true last year and the year before when many people were upset we didn’t bring in more players. It’s hard to bring in contributing transfers unless you are offering a better situation (playing time, exposure or $$). That’s why I am surprised so far at our inability to bring in a quality center. Starting minutes are there to be promised.

No idea if this is the case but if staff is not seeing what they want from Carey/Hima progress wise- could see Kante being recruited along with Mccleod. Recruiting over is a rough business but don't see how Red can afford not to if they are seeing things that concern them.

No idea if this is the case but if staff is not seeing what they want from Carey/Hima progress wise- could see Kante being recruited along with Mccleod. Recruiting over is a rough business but don't see how Red can afford not to if they are seeing things that concern them.
Posted this in another thread.

Hate using 5 scholarships on centers and 3 on developmental types (4 if you include MacLeod), but Kante/MacLeod gives us a chance at the position.

The other three are all unproven, unranked, unknown commodities.

After this year, let the chips fall where they may and have some tough conversations.

Posted this in another thread.

Hate using 5 scholarships on centers and 3 on developmental types (4 if you include MacLeod), but Kante/MacLeod gives us a chance at the position.

The other three are all unproven, unranked, unknown commodities.

After this year, let the chips fall where they may and have some tough conversations.

Kantes game per his tape shows he has positional flexibility too.. in terms of being able to step out on the perimeter. That certainly is in line with the versatility Red is preaching even if he is only a frosh.

We got worse than last year I see a 13-18 year with that roster
We had the 2 worst years of JB' s years and 2 of the players responsible for it left.
To my way of thinking that isn't a bad thing.
They ate up a lot of minutes that should have gone to the younger players.
Actually the players left are a better fit for a pressing uptempo game.
Their will be growing pains, but by the end of the year I expect a very good team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom