Red Season 1 Now a Bust | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Red Season 1 Now a Bust

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yet you posted..

FWIW, there’s nothing wrong with my post. Season 1 (making the NCAAT) officially ended tonight. It’s okay to question the future. Red will be here next year. How long should he have to turn the program around? Right now it’s just looking like a continuation of JAB’a last few seasons of mediocrity.
Not the season we wanted but large overreaction.
Things out of red’s control.
Jesse bailing
Mcclead getting hurt and out for the season.
Westry getting hurt again and out for the season.
Benny imploding.
He was in difficult situation taking over for JB. He could not run off a bunch of players initially being promoted from within. The only recruit was Paterson that is clearly a project.
Before next season I see him ripping off the bandaid. I see a number of players moving on.
Leaving. Hima, Carey, Taylor, Mintz
Possible leaving McLeod, paterson
Just with the top line that would free up 3 scholarships with Bennys.
Two bigs and a true point guard

Taylor couldn't shoot last season. He only had some sparkles sometimes. Basically he stayed the same this season.
This is easily proven not true.

last year - 39 percent from 3
this year - 30 percent from 3, basically same amount of makes with 20 more shots. If he shoots 39 percent this year, I would guess we win 2-3 more games

Not the season we wanted but large overreaction.
Things out of red’s control.
Jesse bailing
Mcclead getting hurt and out for the season.
Westry getting hurt again and out for the season.
Benny imploding.
He was in difficult situation taking over for JB. He could not run off a bunch of players initially being promoted from within. The only recruit was Paterson that is clearly a project.
Before next season I see him ripping off the bandaid. I see a number of players moving on.
Leaving. Hima, Carey, Taylor, Mintz
Possible leaving McLeod, paterson
Just with the top line that would free up 3 scholarships with Bennys.
Two bigs and a true point guard
C’mon, McLeod barely played at FSU and when he did he was not that effective, and he couldn’t be relied on to replace Jesse. Westry was coming off a lost season with a significant knee injury. If Red didn’t know what he was getting with Benny, then he needs more help with roster mgmt. He watched Hima Taylor Bell and Carey last season. He knew what he was getting on this roster.

this year - 30 percent from 3, basically same amount of makes with 20 more shots. If he shoots 39 percent this year, I would guess we win 2-3 more games
Exactly. I actually looked at his stats yesterday during the game because I was curious. At least last year, there was hope that something positive would happen.

Exactly. I actually looked at his stats yesterday during the game because I was curious. At least last year, there was hope that something positive would happen.
Honestly thinking about it more. Maybe 4-5 games. If he was hitting 39 percent, the offense would be much more open for Judah and JJ to slash and drive. plus he rebounds better than Bell, so we could sit Chris when he wasn’t hitting. Really hurt this season a lot

Honestly thinking about it more. Maybe 4-5 games. If he was hitting 39 percent, the offense would be much more open for Judah and JJ to slash and drive. plus he rebounds better than Bell, so we could sit Chris when he wasn’t hitting. Really hurt this season a lot.
We are not a 40% shooter away from being a 21-5, potentially top-15, team.

All things considered, we have taken a step forward, not backward since Red took over.

Nonetheless lots of entitled fans have shown out this year and have complained since the very beginning…

I love Syracuse basketball as much as anyone, but I’d never let myself become miserable about it.

I’m staying down with our team and our coach.
Confident he takes another step forward in year 2.

Go Orange

What really chaps my ass is that even after the bad luck injuries and Benny and Autry year 1 figuring things out and the blowouts on the road. I think we'll look back when the dust settles in March and we would've really had a tournament resume if we just didn't lay an egg at BC, FSU at home, and last night. 3 easily winnable games if we just aren't really stupid, don't offensively go stagnant, and showed just some discipline.

We'd be sitting at 19 wins today, 4th in the ACC maybe even a potentially a double bye, a cupcake rest of the schedule (except Clemson), a path to 23 wins and that's not even counting the ACCT.

I know all what if's but we really weren't that far away this year.

We are not a 40% shooter away from being a 21-5, potentially top-15, team.
yeah, valid point. I guess looking at the schedule would be prob 3 and maybe we are closer in a couple the blowout games. GT, BC, Fla State

I would like to see a forward rotation of Maliq, Freeman and a portal guy who is a traditional athletic 3 like we used to get, and then use Bell as your 4th forward. He doesn't play enough defense, and he only rebounds in spurts. He seems to be working harder, but he takes too many plays off.

This worked really well with Southerland. Makes shots when needed, but not getting the majority of minutes.

Wait, what? Taylor is shooting 30% from three? How is that possible? If feels like he's about 3 for his last 25.

Wait, what? Taylor is shooting 30% from three? How is that possible? If feels like he's about 3 for his last 25.
he doesn't take many. it feels like he is shooting so poorly because they are all open looks. Like a defender is not even covering him type looks.

Would be worse if we were Michigan with Juwan Howard. His record…

19-12 (no NCAAT/covid)
23-5 (elite eight)
19-15
18-16
8-18 (no hunter dickinson)

This could have been us this year without JGIII and Jesse.

Would be worse if we were Michigan with Juwan Howard. His record…

19-12 (no NCAAT/covid)
23-5 (elite eight)
19-15
18-16
8-18 (no hunter dickinson)

This could have been us this year without JGIII and Jesse.

Yes, and we looked at risk of a terrible year for the first few weeks, if you remember.

That's why I give Red a B- so far. He built a flawed roster. But he gave all those guys who couldn't get off of Boeheim's bench every honest chance to win a job.

I think if Taylor shot the same 39% from three as last year, we'd probably be AT WORST 18-8 and 9-6 in conference, which doesn't seem like a huge difference but would put us 4th in the ACC and probably firmly in the tournament right now, assuming the margins on a couple of the losses got tighter. I'm assuming our NET would be in the 45 to 55 range.

It's kind of crazy to think about, like it's only 7 more made 3's over the course of the year off the number of shots he's taken. But he'd have more minutes and more shots if he was shooting 39% from 3. Probably 30 minutes a game, that's a 30% increase. So now he's taken 108 3's instead of 83. Now it's 17 more makes over the course of the year than he has. That's an extra 2 points per game. Plus opening stuff up for teammates, that's gotta be worth AT LEAST another 2 points per game.

It gets us BC and GT, at least. The 17 additional makes don't get distributed evenly, so there's a chance you just take an 0-3 somewhere and turn it into like 6-10 and flip another outcome too.

Obviously all pointless pontification that fans do when it's February 19th and their tournament hopes are win the ACCT, but what I really wonder is what went wrong and who's to blame? Cause if it's a confidence issue, that could be partially on the coaches/program too.

Taylors confidence is shot. He needs to play games this summer. Forget the gym he needs actual game time in order to get his shot back. He also needs to possibly lay off the upper body strength conditioning as he seems to have bulked up too much and that can most definitely mess with your shot. Kid is a two who at this time can't shoot. In addition, he doesn't seem very quick or athletic and his handle is average at best. Why is this kid starting. I don't see what he brings to the table.

Yup, two of the top names on the list to replace JAB are struggling this season. Pitino, 14-12, but 6-9 in conference and Ed Cooley, 8-17 with only one conference win.

I said this in another thread, but there is no magic wand. For all this team is up against, Red has done ok for a first year coach. If we win 20+, I'll say he's done better than ok.

I think if Taylor shot the same 39% from three as last year, we'd probably be AT WORST 18-8 and 9-6 in conference, which doesn't seem like a huge difference but would put us 4th in the ACC and probably firmly in the tournament right now, assuming the margins on a couple of the losses got tighter. I'm assuming our NET would be in the 45 to 55 range.

It's kind of crazy to think about, like it's only 7 more made 3's over the course of the year off the number of shots he's taken. But he'd have more minutes and more shots if he was shooting 39% from 3. Probably 30 minutes a game, that's a 30% increase. So now he's taken 108 3's instead of 83. Now it's 17 more makes over the course of the year than he has. That's an extra 2 points per game. Plus opening stuff up for teammates, that's gotta be worth AT LEAST another 2 points per game.

It gets us BC and GT, at least. The 17 additional makes don't get distributed evenly, so there's a chance you just take an 0-3 somewhere and turn it into like 6-10 and flip another outcome too.

Obviously all pointless pontification that fans do when it's February 19th and their tournament hopes are win the ACCT, but what I really wonder is what went wrong and who's to blame? Cause if it's a confidence issue, that could be partially on the coaches/program too.
This 100%. add in if McLeod / Hima / Carey were even halfway serviceable in the paint so Brown didn't have to go 40. This season was alot closer than people think to the tourney. He's GMac's guy and that's who's trying to work with him day in and day out. It's on Autry end of day. I see no world where Taylor says let me run it back another year in CNY. He's going back to Virginia.

A few things:

The Orange are much better off this season by not being permanently entrenched in the zone.

The big issue is at center. There seems little question that this would be a tourney team if Jesse Edwards had stayed. He was not sufficiently replaced.

A lot of people are writing off Peter Carey. Wait 'til next year. He can be a player.

Let Red Autry put his own team together. Then let's see what happens.

And...if anyone thinks putting your team together on the fly is easy...take a look at Rick Pitino...who probably is the best coach in the country. Granted...he wasn't in on the recruiting the way Red was. But still...

Reading comprehension. I called his first season a bust because we won’t make the NCAAT. I didn’t call Red a bust.
Fair enough, but I'd disagree with that position as well. First, we have five regular season games to go plus the ACC tournament! A lot can still happen, including getting to 20 wins. While missing the ncaa tournament sucks, 20 wins is no bust. Second, I think we're in a better position than we were the last few years under Jim. Blaming Red for injuries and Benny is not fair in my opinion. I think he's done a decent job as a brand new head coach taking over for a hall of famer.

Taylors confidence is shot. He needs to play games this summer. Forget the gym he needs actual game time in order to get his shot back. He also needs to possibly lay off the upper body strength conditioning as he seems to have bulked up too much and that can most definitely mess with your shot. Kid is a two who at this time can't shoot. In addition, he doesn't seem very quick or athletic and his handle is average at best. Why is this kid starting. I don't see what he brings to the table.
This actually makes a lot of sense. His shot at the beginning of last year was good, but as the season progressed, it got worse and worse. Him hitting the weights to much explains this perfectly. It also explains why he starts. He is starting out of his natural position against bigger players, and the added muscle helps him. Added in his very positive attitude on a team that obviously has had its share of attitude issues... JT can stay all 4 years as far as I am concerned. He may end up being the 13th guy, but his willing to do what is asked is perfect. Maybe he needs to go to Fran's yoga classes and stretch his muscles back out. He definitely looks tight hen he tries to shoot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom