Refs made right call | Syracusefan.com

Refs made right call

"Source: Barbara Bush cheats on President."

Or how about "Source: Derek Jeter uses crack."

That has to be the worst headline (and one of worst articles ever):

1. You can find someone to say anything if you promise him anonymity.

2. If you can't find someone to say what you want -- just make a quote up and call it anonymous.

This is why America used to have editors.

Headline doesn't support the source's actual statement.

You're right he ends his statement with basically saying it was a tough call on the biggest stage of the year.

Big surprise here Dana O'Neil wrote the article.
Yea but she immediately posted on her twitter account that she had been at a viewing and had missed the game and after watching it agreed with JB and that it was a bad call. So her opinion is one thing, and then she got this job assignment and had to write it.

Hood's feet were moving, maybe not visible frame by frame but at any other speed, his feet are moving.

Yea but she immediately posted on her twitter account that she had been at a viewing and had missed the game and after watching it agreed with JB and that it was a bad call. So her opinion is one thing, and then she got this job assignment and had to write it.

You totally miss my point. Whether she was at the game or in Sochi makes no difference. It' a phony story based on "quotes" that may or not have been said by someone who may or may not exist. It is not journalism the way I learned it ...or the way I practiced it.

2. If you can't find someone to say what you want -- just make a quote up and call it anonymous.

Watched you the entire game CTO!!

FTW

BTW u got some nice airtime last night.

This post looks like a teenage girls tweet

You totally miss my point. Whether she was at the game or in Sochi makes no difference. It' a phony story based on "quotes" that may or not have been said by someone who may or may not exist. It is not journalism the way I learned it ...or the way I practiced it.
I totally agree with you. I was responding to the fact (and used the quote to show I was responding to what John cuse 44 said) that someone said of course it was Dana O'Neill who wrote it. Just also wanted to point out that journalists don't always write the story they want to write. Obviously she was given this assignment, no matter how stupid it was without any real sources. Her real personal opinion of the call was in her tweet. But someone at ESPN wanted her to go out and find some officials who said otherwise.

This is the most idiotic headline I've seen on ESPN in a long time.

IMO the refs should have let them play in that situation, even Rodney thought the whistle should have been swallowed.

Hood said he was just as surprised by the call as Boeheim was.

“I was shocked,” Hood said. “I thought I was there, but I didn’t expect it, especially with the game being that close, a one-possession game at that time.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/23/s...-who-loses-his-cool.html?hpw&rref=sports&_r=0

JUST saw this article after Andy Katz retweeted it as some sort of "proof"
Holy cow...Can Dana O'Neill be a bigger hack? You can't get someone on the record for their OPINION OF A FOUL? Is everyone nuts?

Reactions: cto
Also...""Honest to God, I'm not sure," the official told ESPN.com. "I think if you talked to five people, you'd get three or four different interpretations."

THEN YOU NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB WITH THE RULES.

If you have 3 or 4 "interpretations" of how a foul should be called, then your sport is turning into figure skating artistry judging. Make a decision on what a charge/block is and call it that way. You are ruining the sport.

Writing an article and captioning the headline are not the same thing. The article is fine. It shows that there's ambiguity. It's the editors who chose a poor headline to reflect th contents.

This sums up why I have less respect for journalists than drug dealers - journalists generally think they are noble servants of society, drug dealers know what they are. Journalism as practiced today would be applauded by Goebbels, all bias all the time with an underlying confidence that if you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth.

Also...""Honest to God, I'm not sure," the official told ESPN.com. "I think if you talked to five people, you'd get three or four different interpretations."

THEN YOU NEED TO DO A BETTER JOB WITH THE RULES.

If you have 3 or 4 "interpretations" of how a foul should be called, then your sport is turning into figure skating artistry judging. Make a decision on what a charge/block is and call it that way. You are ruining the sport.

Then why call a foul? If you're not sure who committed a foul then perhaps one shouldn't call it.

You also need some sort of consistency throughout the game and year, for that matter. If you're going to call a block on gbinije for Parker falling out of control in the lane, then you have to call a block there

Can't blame you guys for being mad about that call, but as an outside fan I think the only two options were charge or no call. I would have preferred a no call so that I could see a more exciting finish, but I can see why he went for charge in the split second he had to make the decision.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom