RIP Louie Orr | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Louie Orr

Just caught this headline during a break at work and I’m heartbroken.
As a student, I caught the last 2 years of the Louie & Bouie Show, and always knew Lou to be a warm friendly guy.
Always private, it’s no wonder we didn’t hear about his cancer battle and now know the answer to why he was absent on the bench.
He was a good good man- so much so I couldn’t stay mad when he went to the hated Hoyas. And I let him know that last time I saw him on the bench. He came over, we talked a bit, and he smiled as i called him “Benedict Louie”. RIP, my brother.

He's probably the only SU guy we would have forgiven for that.

Sometimes I do not understand. If they can create a vaccine to prevent and help with Covid so quickly why can't one of those doctors or researchers come up with a vaccine for cancer?

Easier said than done, my guess.

Lost the wonderful woman I lived with for ten years to it. It was an exhausting six months taking care of her, but one of the things I am proudest of accomplishing. It is a dreadful disease.
One of the Sisyphean tasks of medicine, cancer vaccines are particularly challenging:

1. We need to target specific proteins expressed by tumor cells (these vaccine targets are called antigens): cancer, by nature, is highly fluid - mutating constantly, evolving to adapt to your own body's response to it... which means the antigens are often lost over time. Vaccines therefore lose effectiveness.

2. The vaccine delivery system is equally important. It's difficult to deliver the antigen in a way that stimulates the immune system rather than simply evokes immune tolerance. Frankly this has proven to be a roadblock for many promising antigen targets. We are advancing viral delivery systems, naked DNA, dendritic cells (from the patient's own immune system)...

3. It wouldn't be prudent to vaccinate a broad population against cancer (incidence is far too low, and not a transmissible / infectious disease), so one would think 'Why not vaccinate against a recurrence once a patient is in remission?' Very often the recurrence is fairly distinct from the original tumor, and may express different protein markers (antigens) against which a vaccine based on the original tumor would have de minimis efficacy.

While I don't foresee a broadly effective vaccine for any of the major cancer types on the horizon, we are encouraged by clinical trial results in breast, lung, ovarian, prostate... several solid tumor indications. It may not surprise you to learn that the virally mediated cancers (HPV, etc.) may prove most amenable to vaccines.

And my condolences on the loss of your loved one.

Wow! Terribly sad news. I think '76-'77 was about the beginning of my interest in college basketball. SU basketball has always been Jim Boeheim to me and the Louie & Bouie Show teams were the first years I started paying attention.

My elementary school principal took us to Manley Field House to watch an SU hoops practice and to help push us in the right direction in terms of building our interest. And in those days JB welcomed us with open arms and we were allowed on the court at the end of the practice to mix with the players. I still have some of the autographs I obtained at that practice, including #55's.

There has been so much joy and wonderful memories shared in this thread. What a nice online tribute to an incredible man. He predated my orange fandom as an early 80s baby - but the stories and old games and highlights along with his presence on the staff - its just been nice to read all of this today. Far far far too soon but will be a spirit and soul that lights up the dome and university forever.

I look at the other way. He was so highly regarded as a man that Georgetown embraced him. Despite being an Orangeman.

If we could deal with having a Joe Paterno linebacker as our football coach, Georgetown can deal with having Louis Orr as a basketball coach. ;)

Among Syracuse University players in the NBA, Louis Orr ranks tenth in games played, tenth in minutes played, ninth in points, twelfth in points per game.

In his coaching career, Orr's record was 201-201, and he was named Big East Coach of the Year in 2002-03.

Among Syracuse University players in the NBA, Louis Orr ranks tenth in games played, tenth in minutes played, ninth in points, twelfth in points per game.

In his coaching career, Orr's record was 201-201, and he was named Big East Coach of the Year in 2002-03.
Basically….a top 10 Cuse player of all time at this point, probably?

Basically….a top 10 Cuse player of all time at this point, probably?
It would not be difficult to make that case. Four year starter, averaged 12.8 ppg and 7.6 rpg on .555 shooting. I guess my point is that this guy accomplished so much as a player and coach, but somehow did it under the radar and unassumingly, which was in keeping with his personality. I'm glad I got to see many of his games in person.

What a wonderful mentor for young men was Louis Orr. I'm sure he was a positive influence on many players that really needed it and that is something that is needed more than teaching basketball, especially for those without a father figure in their lives. RIP Louis.

FkHJYg_XoAIFBdW
The most epic photo of Louis and Bouie. My freshman year at SU. Anyone care to add a credit for the photographer?

J,

Thank you for being there for support. It made me feel better after I read what you had to say.

Sometimes I do not understand. If they can create a vaccine to prevent and help with Covid so quickly why can't one of those doctors or researchers come up with a vaccine for cancer?

Easier said than done, my guess.

Lost the wonderful woman I lived with for ten years to it. It was an exhausting six months taking care of her, but one of the things I am proudest of accomplishing. It is a dreadful disease.

I hope you get through your funeral well tomorrow. Tell your daughter you love her every chance you get.
Condolences on your loss Bill……

The most epic photo of Louis and Bouie. My freshman year at SU. Anyone care to add a credit for the photographer?
hungrychuck said it was Pete Halpurn earilier in this thread. He would know….

I don’t think there is much debate it is the most iconic photo in the history of Syracuse basketball.

Post in thread 'RIP Louie Orr'
RIP Louie Orr

This pic was taken by my friend and former colleague Pete Halpern, who was a photographer and photo editor at The Daily Orange. It was an instant hit and I know it kept Pete in beer money for awhile. :)
I randomly met Bouie today. (Nice guy, great to my son.) First thing i did was tell him i was sorry for his loss and i felt so bad for him, must be hard to get away from it from everyone he meets

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom