roberson | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

roberson

I read threads like this and wish 20 of our past players would rule this message board.

Roberson is going to drive inside some, and he shoots the elbow jumper he had the same game last year.

Roberson is a fine college player, if his role was defined within the offense and he was directed to play to his strengths. There are literally hundreds of players like him

The problem is, in our offense, he gets the rock about 18-19 feet from the basket, primarily as an outlet dump-off when a shooter gets hung-up.

This is NOT a strength of his. He should be getting the ball within 12 feet of the basket.

What exactly does anybody expect him to contribute offensively if it isn't a transition dunk or offensive rebound? He simply has very few skills, if any at all. He can jump high and he runs and that's basically it.

My favorite is when he pump fakes from there with no one on him. A. Go ahead and shoot it. B. No one is guarding you there. I think he lacks natural basketball IQ and is just a freak athlete.

Agree with the gripe.

Believe Roberson's a smart basketball player who came up on the ugly side of Boeheim's teaching method, though. Think Craig Forth.

He looks less comfortable than he did two years ago.

Agree with the gripe.

Believe Roberson's a smart basketball player who came up on the ugly side of Boeheim's teaching method, though. Think Craig Forth.

He looks less comfortable than he did two years ago.

What player were you watching? He has never looked comfortable, and had few good games offensively, but is mainly good for rebounding and not much else.

Should hang out in the post and wait for open space to be created by either MG/Cooney or Mali driving to the lane.

Roberson's offensive inconsistence and weirdness is in part a product of Cooney's inability to consistently create realistic open quality opportunities around him.

MG should shoot whenever he wants. Mali and Cooney should work to create opportunity for those around them and knock down a shot when needed.

Not trying to bash anyone on the team, but I've watched enough of Orange basketball to realize that guard play really opens up post players/offensive rebounding talents who should be hanging around the hoop, not 20 ft away or at the top of the key.

I know I've said this a million times before, but I've never seen a basketball player in my life who looks more rigid and robotic on the offensive end than Tyler. He's like a poorly designed science project constructed in a lab that has 2 or 3 mechanical moves with absolutely no improvisation whatsoever.

Love him as a rebounder, obviously.

If you can't handle tough coaching, then you aren't going to be a very good player.

I agree and disagree with this. I think that one of JB's biggest weaknesses as a coach (I know he's a Hall of Famer and I'm a random fan, but this is just my opinion) is that he doesn't let bench players play through mistakes enough.

If a player isn't hustling or is being selfish, that's fine, take the player out of the game. But if they just make a human error, and you get immediately yanked for it, the player is just going to agonize over it and then be tight and overthink when they come back in. An example that comes to mind for me is BJ at UNC last year. He was nervous and bobbled a ball out of bounds and JB immediately took him out of the game. I would have given him the ball the next time down the floor so he would forget about it.

What exactly does anybody expect him to contribute offensively if it isn't a transition dunk or offensive rebound? He simply has very few skills, if any at all. He can jump high and he runs and that's basically it.

See, I find him so frustrating because for 86.8379% of the time I would agree with you. Then, the kid does some random crossover that's pretty smooth, and it puts me back into the mindset that maybe he's still got that light bulb that might come on.

Yesterday, he had a baseline move against St. John's where he took a couple authoritative (purposeful) dribbles and then crossed over and got to the rim. I think he missed or got blocked (shocking), but the move was fluid and quite nice. That's what will continue to drive me bonkers with him. He seems lost on offense - hopefully he can find himself.

I still feel like JB mentally ruined the kid mentally his freshman year. That doghouse treatment makes him second guess everything.
I remember a game v. Duke that TR seems to put doubt from his mind and he looked like James Worthy. Then nothing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom