Robert Braswell on transfer rumors: ‘I’m most likely coming back’ | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Robert Braswell on transfer rumors: ‘I’m most likely coming back’

No sense in arguing with you. When your opinions are facts, and the numbers aren’t. Not sure what you possibly saw from HW to think more time would have made him a better scorer. The guy was given wide open threes. But, I’m done. They’re gone, and luckily for me, I can live with that. Your facts are priceless. Keep on keeping on, brother.
I never believed we needed HoWash to be a 38% three shooter. He got the ball into the hands of the scorers better than joe and way better than Jackson. he seemed to settle Eli as well.

No sense in arguing with you. When your opinions are facts, and the numbers aren’t. Not sure what you possibly saw from HW to think more time would have made him a better scorer. The guy was given wide open threes. But, I’m done. They’re gone, and luckily for me, I can live with that. Your facts are priceless. Keep on keeping on, brother.
Lol okay. Trust me the other guy I am going back with here gets it. We may disagree but he gets it.

You think the staff was right this year.
That’s fine. I don’t and guess what we lost our depth. They better replace it.

Girard/Boeheim/Richmond is not enough next year to bring this program to the top of the conference.

You are obviously okay with mediocrity.
That is fine.

I agree. He was a calming influence for the team. I wanted him back more than BG, honestly. I always thought he would have a great senior season here. Unfortunately, we don’t get to find out.

I’m so tired of next year...

I’m thinking 15-15 next year or thereabouts

If nobody really gets better and Kadary doesn’t make an impact, I would think that’s where we’ll be.

I do think at minimum, Sidibe and Quincy will be much more productive as they were greatly improved by the end of this season. And I think Marek has another level in him. He was much more aggressive and decisive offensively as the year went on. Think he’ll be the go to guy.

And I think Buddy and Joe are guys that will benefit from improved front court play.

Kadary...I have no idea. Hard to call with most freshmen.

I never believed we needed HoWash to be a 38% three shooter. He got the ball into the hands of the scorers better than joe and way better than Jackson. he seemed to settle Eli as well.
It’s just stupid strawman arguments one after another.
You don’t need to be a 3 pt shooter to score the basketball.
Tyus Battle shot 32% from 3 and shot just under 6 of them a game.

He scored 19 PPG. We do need a shooter on the floor of course. We don’t need the entire wings/guards to be 3 point shooters to score.

Yeah, same

I agree. He was a calming influence for the team. I wanted him back more than BG, honestly. I always thought he would have a great senior season here. Unfortunately, we don’t get to find out.
It’s not a definite they leave though, right?

Actually, now that I type that, how does it work if a player decides to stay? Is there a date certain they have to pull their names out?

If nobody really gets better and Kadary doesn’t make an impact, I would think that’s where we’ll be.

I do think at minimum, Sidibe and Quincy will be much more productive as they were greatly improved by the end of this season. And I think Marek has another level in him. He was much more aggressive and decisive offensively as the year went on. Think he’ll be the go to guy.

And I think Buddy and Joe are guys that will benefit from improved front court play.

Kadary...I have no idea. Hard to call with most freshmen.
The loss of Eli will have such an enormous impact on the team. To be as irrelevant as we were this year, all of the front line guys MUST take great strides over what they did this year.

We disagree which is fine.

I just don’t like the argument we have to be obsessed with shooting when people’s criticism are legitimate.

Yeah, I mean...I’ve also said I thought he was looking better out there at the end and would’ve liked to see him more.

Regardless of numbers, I didn’t think he “looked” good out there most of the year. So overall big picture wise and looking at the whole year I really don’t think he should’ve played more...he didn’t do anything or look good at all, and then he got hurt which set him back.

But I did think he “looked” noticeably better late in the year. It felt different. His handle looked better, he looked faster with the ball, he looked like a guy that was capable. Or would soon be capable.

of course it is!
Everything is awesome. Nothing wrong with the program. You are doing God’s work here my friend. I am wrong about everything. You are totally right the people complaining are just complaining about nothing.
We haven’t had 6 consecutive 13 loss seasons you are right. What are people so uptight about.

It’s just stupid strawman arguments one after another.
You don’t need to be a 3 pt shooter to score the basketball.
Tyus Battle shot 32% from 3 and shot just under 6 of them a game.

He scored 19 PPG. We do need a shooter on the floor of course. We don’t need the entire wings/guards to be 3 point shooters to score.

He was a threat though. He was guarded tightly no matter where he was on the court.

The loss of Eli will have such an enormous impact on the team. To be as irrelevant as we were this year, all of the front line guys MUST take great strides over what they did this year.

It will but...Eli wasn’t this Eli until this year. We could have said the same thing about the loss of Battle last year.

I think our overall talent level will be slightly better than it has been the last couple years...whether someone emerges as a star like Tyus or Hughes remains to be seen. Marek is the only guy I can really see doing it.

The primary reason I think the overall talent level is slightly better is it’s the first time where I legit think we’ll be playing 5 on 5 without a hole in the middle offensively, in a long time. And we should be able to compete in the paint defensively and on the glass. And we’ve got a couple shooters with experience. Just remains to be seen if we’ve got a go to guy.

Didn’t mean to post yeah, same.

He was a threat though. He was guarded tightly no matter where he was on the court.
I agree the problem was we didn’t have shooting around him.
Brissett was the forward who was more of a junkyard dog type of player.
Not a shooter.
He shot 3’s because we needed to space the floor.
We had multiple players in the same vein.
Dolezaj and Brissett.

The following year when we had Hughes it was better for Battle.

We need a complete team.
Give me a Battle with Girard/Buddy splitting PT and a Hughes from this year.
We would have a complete offense with late season Sidibe.

Battle was a whole different animal. Kid was hounded out there, and had to put up really tough shots.

I think all the kids we lose early gets overlooked at times. With Baz last year, we don’t lose 14. Add OB to this year’s squad, and we don’t lose 14. Some of that is on the staff for not being prepared, but a lot of it was unforeseen circumstances.

Battle was a whole different animal. Kid was hounded out there, and had to put up really tough shots.

He would’ve had a monster year this year and our team would’ve been really dangerous.

Wonder if he regrets his decision at all? I know he graduated, but he didn’t really get a real crack at the NBA. Curious how much money he made, and if he’s happy he left or not?

It will but...Eli wasn’t this Eli until this year. We could have said the same thing about the loss of Battle last year.

I think our overall talent level will be slightly better than it has been the last couple years...whether someone emerges as a star like Tyus or Hughes remains to be seen. Marek is the only guy I can really see doing it.

The primary reason I think the overall talent level is slightly better is it’s the first time where I legit think we’ll be playing 5 on 5 without a hole in the middle offensively, in a long time. And we should be able to compete in the paint defensively and on the glass. And we’ve got a couple shooters with experience. Just remains to be seen if we’ve got a go to guy.
I mean of course you are right, but at least Eli gave us glimpses the previous year with his shooting. His driving was another level this year, as was that step back.

Personally, I haven't seen anything from the three you mentioned previously that would show me the same glimpses that could grow into the complete offensive player that Eli was this year. Jackson will never be able to take anyone off the dribble like Eli. Joe's the same, except shorter. Q gets by most of his defenders pretty easily, but isn't allowed to shoot from deep. Marek completely lost his three point shooting.

If none of these guys makes that progression, life will get unbearable for Buddy and Joe. And all of us watching.

Last edited:
He would’ve had a monster year this year and our team would’ve been really dangerous.

Wonder if he regrets his decision at all? I know he graduated, but he didn’t really get a real crack at the NBA. Curious how much money he made, and if he’s happy he left or not?

Him too. And the injuries. Battle probably erases 4 losses. The close games to ND, VaTech, Clemson, and NCSU (sans Hughes), could all go differently. We can get on the staff for their misses on guys like Carey, and Kaleb, but they also hit a lot, and we lose those guys early. When we expected them to be here for another year.

Miami too. It’s hard to win when you’re missing on guys, then when you do it get right, they leave before their potential is reached, and go sit on an NBA bench, or a G-League roster. Frank was a disappointment, playing out of position. Kaleb was not built for big time basketball. OB left based on his potential, not production. Carey never got a real chance to do anything significant. Injuries, and being forced to play point didn’t help. BG had zero confidence, played timid, and stiff. We’re due, and I think we lucked out having Kadary fall into our lap when we missed on Jackson.

Last edited:
I don’t blame y’all that are concerned. I just prefer to look at the big picture on why things are what they are, and to stay optimistic. JB didn’t forget how to do this all of the sudden. His adjustments this year were on point. GMac is starting to improve his recruiting chops. Griff seems like a great addition. Autry always solid. Losing Hop, the sanctions, and early departures hurt. I do think we’re turning the corner now. Call me crazy, but I’ll be the one not losing sleep over it.

It’s not a definite they leave though, right?

Actually, now that I type that, how does it work if a player decides to stay? Is there a date certain they have to pull their names out?

Just a guess, but I would think they can change their mind. Unless they’re no longer enrolled in school. Someone else should know the answer. They gone, though. HW can step right in, and play probably 25 MPG for a program like say, Albany, or Stony Brook. Possibly even an A-10 program. Will be interesting to see who is interested. Probably not a P5 school, but maybe he could pull off a BE gig.

Would love Carey to come back. We really could use someone to backup JG, and I’m not sure Kadary is that guy off the bat. Hopefully we can get a grad transfer that is a true PG, or close enough to one. Shooting would just be a bonus, while being just enough of a threat to not be left alone. There’s that kid who shot like 45% from deep. I forget his name. Think it was another Ivy League kid. Someone posted about him on the recruiting board.

Gonna have to find someone good enough to get 10-15 MPG when needed, but not good enough to go elsewhere, and start. Will be tough to pull off. Gillon part 2, but highly doubtful we end up with 30 MPG to offer. Otherwise, Kadary spells Buddy, but when JG comes out then we may need Marek to run the show. Kadary/Buddy just have to get the ball up the court. It can be done, but will be stressful, no doubt.

Doubt he regrets it, except maybe when he thinks about winning an ACC championship, or the ACCT, or the big dance. Other than that, he had no reason to return. Already 22, with a degree. He wasn’t gonna improve his stock much. Maybe he goes in the 2nd round, but he’s in the G League regardless. Gotta maximize the years you’re able to earn an income. He hasn’t gave up on the NBA dream yet, but I hope he decides to make some real money overseas soon. I think he got a 50K bonus with his Exhibit 10 contract. Then probably made peanuts.

One last point, and I’ll stop rambling to myself. With the difficulty of the shots he had to take, he somehow still shot 43% from the field. Not too shabby. Goodine wasn’t gonna shoot 30% forever, but he’s the one who decided to leave, and not prove himself here. If JB showed him the door, then I’d say he got screwed.

In reality, he was given a chance early, and would have been given another next year. Probably had everyone in his ear spouting off the same narrative that goes around here. JB will never play him over his son, except for a handful of minutes, or if Buddy gets hurt. Which is all well, and good, but I think there were minutes to be had competing with Joe. JB had him in his plans. He could have taken the patented second year leap that happens often at SU, and around the country. Especially with guards. Bigs, not so much.

I don’t know. These kids just don’t wanna work for it these days, and come off like they’re entitled to big minutes. JG just happened to win out this season. Can either buck up, and prove coach wrong, forcing him to play you. Or you can bounce to a coach that will stroke your ego. Cooley is the man for the job there. Longer leash, and will reward his defense. Which I don’t think was as good as some may believe. Buddy was just that terrible up top, where anyone would look better.

I agree the problem was we didn’t have shooting around him.
Brissett was the forward who was more of a junkyard dog type of player.
Not a shooter.
He shot 3’s because we needed to space the floor.
We had multiple players in the same vein.
Dolezaj and Brissett.

The following year when we had Hughes it was better for Battle.

We need a complete team.

Give me a Battle with Girard/Buddy splitting PT and a Hughes from this year.
We would have a complete offense with late season Sidibe.

Agree with this. The problem isn't Brycen/Howard/Jalen minutes. They just weren't up to being competitive this year in the ACC. I don't think that them getting 5 min more would have helped us win games this year, and may have made some games harder to win. Its too bad about Goodine, because he had the best chance to improve.

If we had a third guard at the same level as Buddy/Girard we would have been so much better. Or another decent forward, then Eli could have taken some guard minutes. Guards need to be an offensive threat, not necessarily be the first option. But even when we had Triche/Jardine/Waiters people found plenty to complain about.

Agree with this. The problem isn't Brycen/Howard/Jalen minutes. They just weren't up to being competitive this year in the ACC. I don't think that them getting 5 min more would have helped us win games this year, and may have made some games harder to win. Its too bad about Goodine, because he had the best chance to improve.

If we had a third guard at the same level as Buddy/Girard we would have been so much better. Or another decent forward, then Eli could have taken some guard minutes. Guards need to be an offensive threat, not necessarily be the first option. But even when we had Triche/Jardine/Waiters people found plenty to complain about.

Right. I bet those people long for the days of steady Scoop, and Triche up top.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom