Robey | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Robey

IMO he would have been better on a run and gun type team where he didn't have to even think much about half court sets. For ACC play to me he is a somewhat undersized 4 who can get muscled up in a slower tempo game. You see highlights of him in HS and he is flying up and down the court. While he had moments last year and was strong in the tourney, his game just really didn't translate at the next level.

I've always been a big roberson supporter. I have no idea what has happened, but strictly speaking in terms of offensive ability, it's truly insane how robotic he looks out there. It looks so unnatural. I haven't watched every team play, but I really find it hard to believe there are that many more players out there that look as uncomfortable doing virtually anything on offense as Tyler. It's sadly remarkable.
It really is. He looks like a short circuited robot.

Maybe he could rebound himself.

This team is such a freaking weird mix of players. It feels like what you get from a pickup game, not a team that practices together. I can't tell if the failure of the 2-3 zone is the result of poor teamwork or that these guys are trying but just can't make it work (so it seems like a failure of teamwork.)

Knowing that if you mess up once you could be ripped on infront of the national media for everybody to see is pretty big pressure. Wouldn't be surprised if the kid is mentally compromised. It's like baseball, once an error gets in your head and you can't play past it - you're done for.

Im grateful for Jb but being a hall of fame coach does not make up for the mean spirited way he has treated robey. JB putting players and others down in public will always diminish his accomplishments in my mind.

Being mean rude and condescending should never be condoned.
If anything he has a greater responsibility to act like a 72 year old leader not a petulant child.

Watch the last 5 seconds of the Duke game. Everyone sprinted up court. Everyone but Robey.

Noticed that, too. He wasn't going to be Jenkins a la Villanova/UNC either.

It is what it is. He is easily shaken, doesn't have confidence, and his motor isn't always running. I still love the kid, and wish he produced more. He has tried, but just is so hesitant, and it has nothing to do with JB.

I noticed last year that he seemed to check out of the game if he didn't score fairly early. We are not nearly as good at driving and dishing as last years team so he doesn't get those uncontested dunks or easy put backs off of misses. He seems like he has given up on this season and its a shame. He'll look back on his basketball days later on in life and regret how he went out if something doesn't magically click in him soon.

It really is. He looks like a short circuited robot.
That happens when you lack offensive skill, confidence and have to overthink everytime you get the ball.

The first two are his problem. The overthinking is on the staff, imo.

JB broke him
Im grateful for Jb but being a hall of fame coach does not make up for the mean spirited way he has treated robey. JB putting players and others down in public will always diminish his accomplishments in my mind.

Being mean rude and condescending should never be condoned.
If anything he has a greater responsibility to act like a 72 year old leader not a petulant child.
Knowing that if you mess up once you could be ripped on infront of the national media for everybody to see is pretty big pressure. Wouldn't be surprised if the kid is mentally compromised. It's like baseball, once an error gets in your head and you can't play past it - you're done for.
For the love of...:bang::bang: :rolleyes:
Look, I can't begin to contemplate what it must be like to be a Div 1 athlete in a high-profile situation like Robey's in, but the idea that the poor dear got caught up in a situation with the mean old HC is ludicrous, IMO.
He's a senior, and I'd wager that round about the 1st practice of his freshman year, he had an idea of the kind of tactics JB employs on his team(s). To his credit, he didn't leave...he stayed.
Not for nothing, but when did we become such candy-asses? Obviously, some coaching styles don't mesh with certain personalities, but Robey is not some "babe in the woods fending off that awful Coach Boeheim who repeatedly hurts his feelings with all his yelling and screaming"!
JB has been JB for 40 YEARS now. He is, what he is...for better or worse. It's a shame, if true, that Robey hasn't thrived under those tactics, but that's NOT entirely JB's fault. No kid ever went to Indiana to play for Bob Knight, or South Carolina to play for Frank Martin, or Purdue to play for Gene Keady, or yes...Syracuse to play for Jim Boeheim, with blinders on. You know what you're getting into, and you either adapt, or wilt. Either way, you know the one to change will NEVER be JB. After 40 years you'd think that every SU fan and player would know and learn to accept that fact! Sheesh!
JMHO

Look, I can't begin to contemplate what it must be like to be a Div 1 athlete in a high-profile situation like Robey's in, but the idea that the poor dear got caught up in a situation with the mean old HC is ludicrous, IMO.
He's a senior, and I'd wager that round about the 1st practice of his freshman year, he had an idea of the kind of tactics JB employs on his team(s). To his credit, he didn't leave...he stayed.
Not for nothing, but when did we become such candy-asses? Obviously, some coaching styles don't mesh with certain personalities, but Robey is not some "babe in the woods fending off that awful Coach Boeheim who repeatedly hurts his feelings with all his yelling and screaming"!
JB has been JB for 40 YEARS now. He is, what he is...for better or worse. It's a shame, if true, that Robey hasn't thrived under those tactics, but that's NOT entirely JB's fault. No kid ever went to Indiana to play for Bob Knight, or South Carolina to play for Frank Martin, or Purdue to play for Gene Keady, or yes...Syracuse to play for Jim Boeheim, with blinders on. You know what you're getting into, and you either adapt, or wilt. Either way, you know the one to change will NEVER be JB. After 40 years you'd think that every SU fan and player would know and learn to accept that fact! Sheesh!
JMHO
I mean did anyone K losing his mind on the sideline the other night? Berating guys that he pulled? He looked like he was going to have a stroke.

I mean did anyone K losing his mind on the sideline the other night? Berating guys that he pulled? He looked like he was going to have a stroke.
Doesn't count. He's won 1000 games and is in the Hall of Fame.

He's not allowed to shoot and it'd hurt us if they fouled him. I have no doubt that his hanging back was deliberate, and the right move.
No. It was not. They weren't going to foul him to stop Gillon from shooting a desperation shot. Second, at the very least, if he would have run up court, a duke player would have picked him up. There is no spinning this. He should have hustled up court.

No. It was not. They weren't going to foul him to stop Gillon from shooting a desperation shot. Second, at the very least, if he would have run up court, a duke player would have picked him up. There is no spinning this. He should have hustled up court.

So the guy who's the first one sprinting upcourt on every opportunity for four years just happened to dog it on this possession?

I think you're wrong. Based on Roberson's history, based on what happened at the end of the Louisville game, and based on the game situation on Wednesday, I think I'm right.

So the guy who's the first one sprinting upcourt on every opportunity for four years just happened to dog it on this possession?

I think you're wrong. Based on Roberson's history, based on what happened at the end of the Louisville game, and based on the game situation on Wednesday, I think I'm right.
If you think Robey was told not to hustle down court , then you are wrong. That my friend, with all due respect, is ridiculous. Watch the tape. He didn't hustle. And he doesn't always hustle. That is part of the issue with him. He doesn't always come to play.

If you think Robey was told not to hustle down court , then you are wrong. That my friend, with all due respect, is ridiculous. Watch the tape. He didn't hustle. And he doesn't always hustle. That is part of the issue with him. He doesn't always come to play.

He wanted to be first in line to hug Gillon after the make. Plus the last time he grabbed a rebound off a last second miss he was told that he was the wrong guy to grab the rebound. He didn't want to make that mistake again.

He should flying down the court in that situation to position himself for a tip or follow at the rim.

JMHO

Just saying the fear of messing up is in his head, so it seems. Anyone who's played, or even watched sports, knows how much a mental lapse can break down even the most simple physical gifts/tools. Would explain his robot like movements and other troubles.

JB's been JB for 40 years, yes. It's ridiculous to expect college athletes to all be able to handle that. I'm not saying JB ought to change, thats not happening, just expressing my observations though.

He should flying down the court in that situation to position himself for a tip or follow at the rim.

The clock expired before the ball went through the basket. There was never gonna be a rebound given the time left on the clock. There were two other SU players (White and Battle) camped outside the three point line when Gillon launched his shot. Should they have positioned themselves for the rebound, too?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom