Robey | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Robey

The clock expired before the ball went through the basket. There was never gonna be a rebound given the time left on the clock. There were two other SU players (White and Battle) camped outside the three point line when Gillon launched his shot. Should they have positioned themselves for the rebound, too?
If he took off when he saw Battle grab the rebound, he would have been in position to make a play. He surely didn't know Battle was about to hold the ball for 3 or 4 seconds before handing it off to Gillon.

He wanted to be first in line to hug Gillon after the make. Plus the last time he grabbed a rebound off a last second miss he was told that he was the wrong guy to grab the rebound. He didn't want to make that mistake again.
Silly

The clock expired before the ball went through the basket. There was never gonna be a rebound given the time left on the clock. There were two other SU players (White and Battle) camped outside the three point line when Gillon launched his shot. Should they have positioned themselves for the rebound, too?
So your answer is that it is fine to dog it up the court. Never mind that allowed the Duke players to double Gillon. As for the clock, when we got the ball, there was plenty of time for a rebound. this isn't about JB or anything else. Robey should have hustled down court. It is not debatable.

Just saying the fear of messing up is in his head, so it seems. Anyone who's played, or even watched sports, knows how much a mental lapse can break down even the most simple physical gifts/tools. Would explain his robot like movements and other troubles.

JB's been JB for 40 years, yes.
It's ridiculous to expect college athletes to all be able to handle that. I'm not saying JB ought to change, thats not happening, just expressing my observations though.

JB hasn't been this way for 40 years, it's progressed into this.

Robey's body language also seems a lil' "off", IMO. When I watch replays of TB's and JG's game-winning shots, he seems hesitant to jump in and just... celebrate with the rest of the guys.
I hesitate to say this since everyone's personality is obviously different, but he seems so disconnected, his "affect" as they say in psychology, seems vacant and distant.
If, as some have suggested and I happen to disagree with, JB's approach has caused this sort of reaction, then there's more here than meets the eye. After all, this is a guy who can be a major factor when he's dialed in. It's baffling, and maybe there's a physical aspect we all aren't privy to. Odd.

A couple of years ago I ran into a high school classmate at a wedding reception. She was working with the team at the time. It was early in Robey's soph season. She shared with me what a great kid he is & she had a genuine affection for him. But he was often distant or disconnected & they were working closely with him. They wanted him to learn to join in with his team mates, learn to celebrate with them, keep his head in the game etc... No details were shared (nor asked for) as to cause. I have not seen her since that day & didn't know her well enough to keep in touch. But I've always watched him with that conversation in mind. I never shared that story until today because I didn't want to give rise to rampant speculation, or imply he was a problem because that absolutely was not the gist of the conversation. Maybe I shouldn't have shared it now. I can delete it if deemed inappropriate. But I've seen a ton of speculation here lately & thought this might provide a little context. I can't emphasize enough how much she really, really liked this kid & so wanted him to do well. Sometimes people just need to be helped out of their shell. Your post comes the closest to describing what I took from that conversation.

A couple of years ago I ran into a high school classmate at a wedding reception. She was working with the team at the time. It was early in Robey's soph season. She shared with me what a great kid he is & she had a genuine affection for him. But he was often distant or disconnected & they were working closely with him. They wanted him to learn to join in with his team mates, learn to celebrate with them, keep his head in the game etc... No details were shared (nor asked for) as to cause. I have not seen her since that day & didn't know her well enough to keep in touch. But I've always watched him with that conversation in mind. I never shared that story until today because I didn't want to give rise to rampant speculation, or imply he was a problem because that absolutely was not the gist of the conversation. Maybe I shouldn't have shared it now. I can delete it if deemed inappropriate. But I've seen a ton of speculation here lately & thought this might provide a little context. I can't emphasize enough how much she really, really liked this kid & so wanted him to do well. Sometimes people just need to be helped out of their shell. Your post comes the closest to describing what I took from that conversation.
I have been told the same thing. In no way saying he is a bad kid or anything like that. And this in no way excuses his coach from the disgusting way he has bullied the kid. Just that he is so so quiet.

If he took off when he saw Battle grab the rebound, he would have been in position to make a play. He surely didn't know Battle was about to hold the ball for 3 or 4 seconds before handing it off to Gillon.

Battle was slow to get rid of the ball but it wasn't 3-4 seconds. What if Battle's pass was intercepted then who is back on defense?

So your answer is that it is fine to dog it up the court. Never mind that allowed the Duke players to double Gillon. As for the clock, when we got the ball, there was plenty of time for a rebound. this isn't about JB or anything else. Robey should have hustled down court. It is not debatable.

I guess then you must have been appalled at some of the dogging up and down the court in the L'ville game by several players.

There was no time for a rebound given that Gillon had to launch from 25 feet plus with approx. 1.5 seconds on the clock. The horn sounded prior to the ball going through the hoop.

If you want to say it looked bad then fine but if you're talking practically speaking there was no role for anybody to play other than Gillon. There was simply no time left for anything else other than a desperation heave just before the buzzer.

Battle was slow to get rid of the ball but it wasn't 3-4 seconds. What if Battle's pass was intercepted then who is back on defense?
Between the hesitation and the casual throw to Gillon it probably was.

Between the hesitation and the casual throw to Gillon it probably was.

I'm sure to you and me and every other Orange fan it felt like 3-4 seconds. Not even close. The period for when Battle gathered the ball and JG had it in his hands was maximum 2.2 seconds. Youtube is a beautiful thing.

I guess then you must have been appalled at some of the dogging up and down the court in the L'ville game by several players.

There was no time for a rebound given that Gillon had to launch from 25 feet plus with approx. 1.5 seconds on the clock. The horn sounded prior to the ball going through the hoop.

If you want to say it looked bad then fine but if you're talking practically speaking there was no role for anybody to play other than Gillon. There was simply no time left for anything else other than a desperation heave just before the buzzer.
Who was talking about other guys dogging it? I expect players to hustle on every play of every game. The topic was Robey. And he didn't hustle on the biggest play of the game. Period. There is no defense for that. It's not mom and dad, other kids are doing it to. Someone wants to comment on a thread where player A didn't hustle during the Ville game? Be my guest.

Who was talking about other guys dogging it? I expect players to hustle on every play of every game. The topic was Robey. And he didn't hustle on the biggest play of the game. Period. There is no defense for that. It's not mom and dad, other kids are doing it to. Someone wants to comment on a thread where player A didn't hustle during the Ville game? Be my guest.

Notice you won't go near the clock issue.

let's take a poll . who's the best offensive rebounder on this team ?

Man, how time flys... Seems like just the other day that Robes even coming to Cuse was in doubt; preseason games in Canada and all... Now, senior day is around the corner for him...

Notice you won't go near the clock issue.
The clock was the same different for his teammates who all ran up court. You hustle. Period. Oh, and the clock at 6.8 seconds on it when battle got the ball. DVR is a great thing. There is zero excuse for not running up the court.

let's take a poll . who's the best offensive rebounder on this team ?
Statistically, by offensive rebound percentage, it would be Coleman this season. Last season, it would be Roberson.

let's take a poll . who's the best offensive rebounder on this team ?[/QUOTE
LOL Better question, let's take a poll and find out if it's okay not to hustle.

The clock was the same different for his teammates who all ran up court. You hustle. Period. Oh, and the clock at 6.8 seconds on it when battle got the ball. DVR is a great thing. There is zero excuse for not running up the court.
Had he run to the rim initially, he might have been in position to receive a pass for an easy layup or dunk, or been in position to rebound a missed shot. Instead, he was just nearing mid-court when Gillon's shot went in.

Had he run to the rim initially, he might have been in position to receive a pass for an easy layup or dunk, or been in position to rebound a missed shot. Instead, he was just nearing mid-court when Gillon's shot went in.
the only thing I thought was that if he would have run full out, he at least could have dragged a Duke defender away from the ball.

the only thing I thought was that if he would have run full out, he at least could have dragged a Duke defender away from the ball.
Yes, perhaps one of the three guys who ended up contesting Gillon's shot.

how about a little hustle when your anchor the press.

spanish-bullfighter-torero-matador-2437-2889-2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom